Record run validated

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Record run validated

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Manchester City’s Carabao Cup win over Wolves last month counts as part of the Club’s winning run, a group of leading lawmakers and statisticians have confirmed.
City defeated Wolves 4-1 on penalties and established a new Club record of 12 consecutive victories.

That run has since been extended to 15 - but there have been suggestions the Wolves game should not be counted since it finished 0-0 after 90 minutes.

However, Football Historian Gary James recently contacted David Elleray, the Technical Director of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the game’s leading law-making body.

And Mr Elleray confirmed that City’s shoot-out win over Wolves counts as part of a winning run of results. “Kicks from the penalty mark are a method of determining the winner of a match (or tie) when the scores are level,” he said. “If any team plays any match which required penalties and they win that 'event' they win the match.”

Stuart Barnes, editor of the Nationwide Football Annual, the longest-running statistical record of football, confirmed Elleray’s statement, saying: “I have spoken to Albert Sewell [Match of the Day’s official statistician for 37 years] and we both agree that Manchester City’s winning sequence is a bona fide record. City’s club record will certainly be mentioned in the next Annual’s review of clubs.”

Sky Sports football statistician James Wheeler says he is no doubt the result should count towards City’s club record. “It’s definitely a run of successive wins,” he said. “We count it. You won the tie and progressed to the next round. You can’t go through to the next round with a draw.”

And Mark Barber, Director of the Association of Football Statisticians, said: “we fully agree the game against Wolves should be regarded as Manchester City win.”

GOALS GALORE: City have bagged 52 in 17 games so far this season!

It has been a season of major milestones for Pep Guardiola’s side.
City’s 15 consecutive wins is a record for an English side – and our haul of 52 goals in all competitions is the most scored by a Premier League Club after 17 games.

Our 31 points and +31 goal difference is the best start to a Premier League season after 11 games and our nine consecutive league wins equals the Club record for a single season set back in 1947.

And in a run stretching back into last season, City are now 23 games unbeaten, which, again, is a new Club record.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Record run validated

Postby Paul68 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Basically.... we are great!
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby littlebig » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 pm

We're on a different level
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Chinners » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Fine by me. If the 4-1 scoreline now counts, then I reclaim my right to celebrate the record breaking 178th Manchester City goal by Aguero that night.....
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Chinners wrote:Fine by me. If the 4-1 scoreline now counts, then I reclaim my right to celebrate the record breaking 178th Manchester City goal by Aguero that night.....

Hehe - that would make a great trick question in a pub quiz or similar: "How can a game be won where nobody scores a goal?"
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Chinners » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Chinners wrote:Fine by me. If the 4-1 scoreline now counts, then I reclaim my right to celebrate the record breaking 178th Manchester City goal by Aguero that night.....

Hehe - that would make a great trick question in a pub quiz or similar: "How can a game be won where nobody scores a goal?"

There was one similar to that. Apparently there was an Everton player called 'Never'
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Return to The Maine Football forum