***Official Match Thread: Feyenoord (H)***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official Match Thread: Feyenoord (H)***

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Well.done pep, some young blood added and we are untouchable for top spot. Kev has his yellow too, job done. Well done that man.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby blues2win » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Was at the match. We were far from our best. Kevin was poor ( harsh maybe after all he’s done this season but he sets high standards) as was Sergio who missed a sitter. Nothing seemed to come off for either of them. Danilo doesn’t look the part at left back. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him shifted in the close season to make way for Maffeo. The Mangler did ok but he never looks truly comfortable on the ball. I think he’ll be shifted too. The Otter my man of the match. Very composed and he brought the ball out well. My conclusion is we need cover at Centre Back and Left Back and I wouldn’t be surprised to see two coming In to fill those slots in January. Yaya’s a shadow of his former self although standing over the free kick in the second half you always thought there was half a chance he’d score. Gundogan was ok but no more and then released Raheem with the pass of the match. Bernardo was poor. Personally I’d like to see him more central. He hasn’t got the pace to play out wide imo. Sterling our best attacking threat by far and took his chance well.

Feyenoord defended well and had one or two moments of their own, A draw wouldn’t have been unfair to be honest. I don’t know if it came over on TV but their away support was phenomenal. The wooden spoon of the group but their fans, at least, deserved more.

Surely we’ll rest a lot of players altogether for the Shakhtar match. No point in taking players all the way there and back just to sit on the bench, Three points in the Derby far more important.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby phips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 am

Wonderwall wrote:Kev has his yellow too, job done. Well done that man.

oh he got it? i thought they messed that up. didn't see it. must've happened when i fell asleep.

very boring match and, frankly, im disappointed. even with the rotation that squad should easily smashed as bad of a side as Feyenoord...at home nonetheless.

hopefully against Shakhtar Foden and Diaz will start.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby phips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:51 am

blues2win wrote:Bernardo was poor. Personally I’d like to see him more central. He hasn’t got the pace to play out wide imo

personally i think he's suffering from hardly playing. he was incredible last season and more often than not started out on the right wing but then drifted inside. for how much we paid for him he's been "a bust" but i dont think it's his fault. he really hasn't been given a chance but with our form there's no way Pep can start him ahead of Raheem or Sane and Silva and Kevin have CM on lockdown.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 am

phips wrote:
blues2win wrote:Bernardo was poor. Personally I’d like to see him more central. He hasn’t got the pace to play out wide imo

personally i think he's suffering from hardly playing. he was incredible last season and more often than not started out on the right wing but then drifted inside. for how much we paid for him he's been "a bust" but i dont think it's his fault. he really hasn't been given a chance but with our form there's no way Pep can start him ahead of Raheem or Sane and Silva and Kevin have CM on lockdown.

He's a very young lad in a new country and I don't think he was bought to be an instant starter. His body language is good and I've seen glimpses that over time no one will see him as a 'bust'.

Also I think having him waiting in the wings may have had an indirect impact on his namesake taking it up a gear this season too
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dimples » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:52 am

It seems to take a season to adjust to the pep model of play if you play from midfield up. So I will wait until next season to judge Bernard.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Mase » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 am

I know Danilo has taken a lot of stick for his performance last night, and rightly so by all accounts, but I think the guy is decent imo. He provided great cover when Walker got banned. He’s just not a left back. I think he’s do OK next to Otter as CB.

I just wouldn’t write him off yet. He’s new to the club. He’s new to the country.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am

I don't think he deserves the stick he's getting Mase, he's not a left back but can do a job there if needs be, it's that simple.

We weren't flowing like we normally do last night, number of factors contributing, biggest factor was how slowly we moved the ball. That said we had a couple of good chances to score in first half ( don't know where them chances rate on the expected goal scale) and if we'd taken just one it's a different game and we likely exploit the space they leave and destroy them.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 am

Dimples wrote:It seems to take a season to adjust to the pep model of play if you play from midfield up. So I will wait until next season to judge Bernard.

Yep, there's that, and also the fact that he's not a winger that is going to get behind defences, he's a playmaker playing wide, the whole balance of the side is thrown off when he plays that role.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ayrshireblue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't think he deserves the stick he's getting Mase, he's not a left back but can do a job there if needs be, it's that simple.

We weren't flowing like we normally do last night, number of factors contributing, biggest factor was how slowly we moved the ball. That said we had a couple of good chances to score in first half ( don't know where them chances rate on the expected goal scale) and if we'd taken just one it's a different game and we likely exploit the space they leave and destroy them.

At the game last night I was commenting that we were missing Stones coming out with the ball as Mangala was dreadful at this and I think that Danilo is the man to step into this role while Stones is out injured. Never looks comfortable at left back but he's strong on the ball and has an eye for a pass.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am

Have to say pep showed class last night. As soon as raheem scored pep started shouting to Diaz to get stripped. Couldn't get him on quick enough.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby bobadji » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:31 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
I think the bad points of the night are things we already know.
Yaya is finished.
Mangala will not suffice as cover.
Danilo is not left back.
Bernardo Silva is too slow to play on the wing and is quite sloppy in possession at times. I’ll give him s pass though as he is obviously skilful and it is his first season.
Sergio takes about 5 games to get up to speed after injury.

I've got to disagree with the first point here (although the rest are spot on)

I think Yaya looked alright really. Obviously he's never going to be what he was, but there was a couple of moments - 2 good runs and a few decent passes that brought back some lovely memories of Yaya at his best.

I think he made 60 passes in the first half, 100% completion rate, and he actually tracked back well and put a couple of important blocks in.

He's never going to be the Yaya we loved a couple of years ago, but I see him now more like the Vieira we signed under Mancini. Good player to have in the squad, should start 10 games max this season.

Bernando is a big worry for me.

I know he's class, we saw that for Monaco, but he just doesn't seem to fit with our style of play at all at the moment. I'm more than happy to give him time, but he seems to want to dribble when he needs to pass, and when he does pass, it's a bit shoddy.

Also, Walker had easily his worst game for us last night, and seems to have gotten away with it. Just didn't find a blue shirt all night, and looked clumsy (looked like the player I'd feared we'd signed) Maybe he should be rested this weekend, Danilo in his preferred RB role, and Delph back at LB.

Like you say though, job done - and a underrated finish from Raheem. Great touch, looked up, saw the keeper coming and lifted it over him. Strikers finish
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby bobadji » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

before I forget, Ederson could be the best keeper anyone has seen in a long time. Love this guy
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 am

bobadji wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
I think the bad points of the night are things we already know.
Yaya is finished.
Mangala will not suffice as cover.
Danilo is not left back.
Bernardo Silva is too slow to play on the wing and is quite sloppy in possession at times. I’ll give him s pass though as he is obviously skilful and it is his first season.
Sergio takes about 5 games to get up to speed after injury.

I've got to disagree with the first point here (although the rest are spot on)

I think Yaya looked alright really. Obviously he's never going to be what he was, but there was a couple of moments - 2 good runs and a few decent passes that brought back some lovely memories of Yaya at his best.

I think he made 60 passes in the first half, 100% completion rate, and he actually tracked back well and put a couple of important blocks in.

He's never going to be the Yaya we loved a couple of years ago, but I see him now more like the Vieira we signed under Mancini. Good player to have in the squad, should start 10 games max this season.

Bernando is a big worry for me.

I know he's class, we saw that for Monaco, but he just doesn't seem to fit with our style of play at all at the moment. I'm more than happy to give him time, but he seems to want to dribble when he needs to pass, and when he does pass, it's a bit shoddy.

Also, Walker had easily his worst game for us last night, and seems to have gotten away with it. Just didn't find a blue shirt all night, and looked clumsy (looked like the player I'd feared we'd signed) Maybe he should be rested this weekend, Danilo in his preferred RB role, and Delph back at LB.

Like you say though, job done - and a underrated finish from Raheem. Great touch, looked up, saw the keeper coming and lifted it over him. Strikers finish

I think the issue with Yaya is that in the position he is in he is supposed to dictate the pace, unfortunately the pace was too slow for large parts last night, not all on Yaya of course but a major contributing factor.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

Agree with the comment on Walker’s performance last night. He’s strong and quick but sometimes his technique looks pretty raw and he’s 27. Danilo deserves a go at right back. However, if Maffeo is to come into the squad next season I don’t see how Danilo fits in unless Pep decides he can be one of our centre backs. More likely on the right as part of a three than as part of a back four.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

The two cup games he has played Yaya showed he does slow the game down far too much even if he can still help control the game. He can play and do a job so that others can rest but that's about all but I don't think it will happen again in a key match
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am

ayrshireblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't think he deserves the stick he's getting Mase, he's not a left back but can do a job there if needs be, it's that simple.

At the game last night I was commenting that we were missing Stones coming out with the ball as Mangala was dreadful at this and I think that Danilo is the man to step into this role while Stones is out injured. Never looks comfortable at left back but he's strong on the ball and has an eye for a pass.

I could also see Danilo providing cover for Fern when necessary. It may be that Danilo is one of those very useful squad players who can cover a variety of positions adequately, but isn't quite good enough to hold down a specific position. Every club needs one or two guys like that.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby ShimmyShaker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am

I can't find much to fault Danilo on, he comes in and does a solid job in an unfamiliar position. I don't expect him to be a game changer, I like the look of him. We all have our own thoughts and opinions on players, whilst Otamendi gets a lot of praise from some I think he was as much at fault last night for the pace of the game as Yaya and he might look composed next to Mangala but he gives me the heebie jeebies whenever he has the ball at his feet.
ShimmyShaker
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Justified logic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The two cup games he has played Yaya showed he does slow the game down far too much even if he can still help control the game. He can play and do a job so that others can rest but that's about all but I don't think it will happen again in a key match

So a useful sub to come on and slow and control the game.

But that is something that Big Dave can do, but far from the only thing he can do. Missed him last night but really needed to have him rested. How in hell's name are we going to replace him? :?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby City64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Fucks sake , Huddersfield on Sunday and most of the team has had a rest let's move on eh ?????

Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum