What does Bernardo do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What does Bernardo do?

Postby Justified logic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 pm

gmercer1 wrote:
Slim wrote:I think he has the talent to be a top player in this league. I think a lot of people are going to want to edit their posts soon.

I agree..............the poor lad hasn't had a run in the team yet. He has something special and will prove it in years to come

In Pep I trust.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Mase wrote:
phips wrote:today was the best he's played.

i feel like he's going to get swallowed up here through no fault of his own. its hard for any midfielder to shine when you've got KDB and Silva in the side. there's only one ball.

Sterling And Sanè seem to be doing fine.

despite where he often played for Monaco he's not a winger (like Kevin at Wolfsburg). those 2 are. they dont typically occupy the same space as Silva and De Bruyne--Bernardo does.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:15 pm

fair play, bernardo silva. you've bought yourself a bit more time...a bit!
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby littlebig » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 pm

I've been unconvinced so far to be honest and i wasn't sure he had showed enough. Was glad to see him put in a decent performance last night, hope he comes good.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:fair play, bernardo silva. you've bought yourself a bit more time...a bit!

Wait until he actually scores.
He’ll be fine.
Second half of the season he’ll grow into the league.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I love the way he runs. He looks like a football mad kid chasing a ball during recess, his arms swaying all over the place and just bouncing forward.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:01 pm

mr_nool wrote:I love the way he runs. He looks like a football mad kid chasing a ball during recess, his arms swaying all over the place and just bouncing forward.

He does all that very well indeed , but he's pap in front of goal...or he has been till now IMO.He has to be more clinical.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
mr_nool wrote:I love the way he runs. He looks like a football mad kid chasing a ball during recess, his arms swaying all over the place and just bouncing forward.

He does all that very well indeed , but he's pap in front of goal...or he has been till now IMO.He has to be more clinical.

Totally agree with that. I wrote exactly the same in some other thread earlier today. He was great last night, but seemed to rush the final pass/shot. I think he is too eager to impress after having spent most of the season on the bench. A goal or two under his belt, and he'll probably trust his instincts again to make the right calls.
Last edited by mr_nool on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:26 pm

I too have been thinking that hes trying too hard. Shooting when he should pass. Overhitting because hes nervous and wants to impress
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

phips wrote:
Mase wrote:
phips wrote:today was the best he's played.

i feel like he's going to get swallowed up here through no fault of his own. its hard for any midfielder to shine when you've got KDB and Silva in the side. there's only one ball.

Sterling And Sanè seem to be doing fine.

despite where he often played for Monaco he's not a winger (like Kevin at Wolfsburg). those 2 are. they dont typically occupy the same space as Silva and De Bruyne--Bernardo does.

I don’t agree, and I think Silva and KDB are two different types of players that don’t occupy the same space - hence why they can both play together well. Silva is more intricate and likes to play the short but opening pass, whereas KDB will put it on a plate for someone whilst he’s stood on the left or right. Silva is more of an Ali B whilst KDB is a Berkovic in my opinion.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby dazby » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am

What did everyone think of him when he was moved into the middle?

It was brief but I liked what I saw. He looked more comfortable in that role.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 am

dazby wrote:What did everyone think of him when he was moved into the middle?

Yeah, not bad. I think it's his proper and eventual position. His defensive qualities are quite solid.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby gmercer1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 am

Have to agree he looked a lot more comfortable in the middle than on the wing. Maybe gets another chance with the Watford game.
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:20 am

gmercer1 wrote:

Have to agree he looked a lot more comfortable in the middle than on the wing. Maybe gets another chance with the Watford game.

Actually, the spanish commentators from M7 spoked about this yesterday. They said that he is going to his favorite position where he impressed at Monaco.

They might be right. So Pep played him out of position so far this season. I think he should take on Dave's position until Merlin comes back and replace Gundogan.

I have to say that I am a fan, he can really be the longterm replacement of Big Dave that we all need.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 am

PeterParker wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:

Actually, the spanish commentators from M7 spoked about this yesterday. They said that he is going to his favorite position where he impressed at Monaco.

They might be right. So Pep played him out of position so far this season. I think he should take on Dave's position until Merlin comes back and replace Gundogan.

I have to say that I am a fan, he can really be the longterm replacement of Big Dave that we all need.

I think we bought him as a (hopefully long term) replacement for Big Dave. You know what Pep is like with playing them out of position all the time when there's no opening in their intended position... He has some great qualities and just needs time (though he's already showed signs of what he can do).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 am

He played mostly right wing for Monaco anytime i seen him so i dont think pep has played him out of position. It will be interesting to see him play centrally but i dont expect it to click straight away. If anything wouldnt be surprised to see pep play Sterling before bernardo.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:57 am

I think Benardo was bought for his creativity though - and he showed he could handle central play at Monaco. Sterling is being shaped into a goal machine by the looks of it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 am

Dubciteh wrote:He played mostly right wing for Monaco anytime i seen him so i dont think pep has played him out of position. It will be interesting to see him play centrally but i dont expect it to click straight away. If anything wouldnt be surprised to see pep play Sterling before bernardo.

Monaco don't play wingers though, we do, our wingers stay wide for the most part, Monaco's wide players cut inside and allow the fullbacks to attack the space out wide.

If Mendy was available and we were playing with two attacking wing backs then the likes of Bernardo would thrive in that type of inside forward position that Mancini used and Pellegrini used.

It's very similar to Silva when he first arrived from Valencia, he played wide left of a three behind the striker but he was never a winger in the traditional sense. When he was moved inside by Mancini he thrived.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:He played mostly right wing for Monaco anytime i seen him so i dont think pep has played him out of position. It will be interesting to see him play centrally but i dont expect it to click straight away. If anything wouldnt be surprised to see pep play Sterling before bernardo.

Monaco don't play wingers though, we do, our wingers stay wide for the most part, Monaco's wide players cut inside and allow the fullbacks to attack the space out wide.

If Mendy was available and we were playing with two attacking wing backs then the likes of Bernardo would thrive in that type of inside forward position that Mancini used and Pellegrini used.

It's very similar to Silva when he first arrived from Valencia, he played wide left of a three behind the striker but he was never a winger in the traditional sense. When he was moved inside by Mancini he thrived.

Yeah thats a fair point, its not necssarily playing him out of position its our current formation not getting the most from him? It does make sense. If our fullbacks overlapped it would certainly make wingers job easier.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby patrickblue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head there.
I don't believe that we're playing the system Pep envisioned, due to Mendy's absence. Although doing a fine job, Delph isn't Mendy, so Pep has reverted to plan B, which is wide wingers and one up front.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the really breathtaking stuff was when Mendy was playing.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum