What does Bernardo do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What does Bernardo do?

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 am

Hoping this will have the affect it had on Yaya and Sané
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Re: What does Bernardo do?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 am

Gets deployed in a role that doesn't suit him.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

he's fucking shit

(going along with the op...)
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:58 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:he's fucking shit

(going along with the op...)

Settling in but slowly and will come good.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm

He will do just fine. A season adjusting to a different country, new players and a playing system and a new, vastly superior league to what he was used to. Next season we will see a better representation of what he's about.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby dazby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm

He had the opportunity to create heaps against Leicester on the weekend but was obviously under instructions to play keep ball. Had he had free reign we would have created another 3-4 real good chances.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Justified logic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23 pm

It took Sane a while to settle and show what he can do but I think he had more game time than Bernardo has had so far, so let's wait and see...
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Gets deployed in a role that doesn't suit him.

In fairness he played right wing for Monaco all last season and did alright against us.

Early days, even big Dave started slow until he scored that goal against blackpool!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

In fairness he played right wing for Monaco all last season and did alright against us.

Early days, even big Dave started slow until he scored that goal against blackpool!

Different role though, the type of wide role that suits Bernardo is the type Pellegrini deployed.

If you're going to play him wide then you need your fullback constantly overlapping, Walker played in midfield as much as he played on the wing last night.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby City64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Needs a decent run in the team to flourish , we are the best team on the planet right now he will have to be patient or god forbid Merlin gets injured .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 pm

He’ll be fine once he is settled here.
First season syndrome.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ayrshireblue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Different role though, the type of wide role that suits Bernardo is the type Pellegrini deployed.

If you're going to play him wide then you need your fullback constantly overlapping, Walker played in midfield as much as he played on the wing last night.

Bernardo and Walker were constantly getting in each others way, especially first half. Second half Bernardo and Sterling were switched at times and he had a bit more room. Will come good given time and patience.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Bernardo and Walker were constantly getting in each others way, especially first half. Second half Bernardo and Sterling were switched at times and he had a bit more room. Will come good given time and patience.

Fair enough, I was distracted whilst watching first half, nippers running around the room. I do recall seeing Walker coming central quite often though in that inverted fullback type role.

I think if he's going to play Bernardo wide then it should be on the left as he's cutting in on his stronger foot but ultimately I believe he should be used in the centre to get the best out of him.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby mr_nool » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Fair enough, I was distracted whilst watching first half, nippers running around the room. I do recall seeing Walker coming central quite often though in that inverted fullback type role.

I think if he's going to play Bernardo wide then it should be on the left as he's cutting in on his stronger foot but ultimately I believe he should be used in the centre to get the best out of him.

Not really on topic, but Walker is not suited for the inverted fullback role in the way Delph is. I guess it was a good opportunity to test playing with inverted full backs on both sides, but it clearly wasn't working. Walker isn't good enough on the ball and doesn't have the awareness of what's happening around/behind him.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Agree with that Nool, hence the Alves pursuit. Can't imagine Alves was being sought to bomb up and down the wing at his age.

Haven't seen a whole lot of Mendy but I reckon he wouldn't be much cop at the inverted role either.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Didn't look happy last night - a bit lost really but had a couple of encouraging runs in the last few minutes.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 pm

He didn't look comfortable last night.Bit of a few things, not enough full matches to get the drift of where others will be.
maybe trying too hard to compensate for that. Dont think he understood or enjoyed the role he had.

Could see all those as excuses.

the one thing that sticks in my mind though is that he is the nearest thing we have seen to Merlin.
On that basis i would give him plenty time to click, ie a full season. Could be more than worth it.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby freshie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:01 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

He's left footed which is why Pep plays him on the right
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Is he? I haven't been playing close enough attention then, thanks for correcting me.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Looks like he's got the moves but just a little rusty, and played out of his preferred position. The way he controls the ball reminds me a lot of Big Dave and if he can get anywhere near what Dave can do, I'll be happy.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum