***mcfc v sfc official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***mcfc v sfc official match thread***

Postby patrickblue » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am

What's really encouraging is that as already been said, the last three games have been the "blip" that all the haters have been harping on about and eagerly awaiting.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Mase wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Mase wrote:It was only our player of the season so far. How many points has he got us now?

10 points. 3 winners and the goal vs Everton. More goals then Lukaku and Morata. Fucking incredible

That's 7 points.

3 winners = 9 points
1 draw = 1 point

The wins would have been draws if he hadn't scored, which means two points per game for the winners.

Opta say 9 pts according to the Fail
"The 22-year-old's winning goals against Bournemouth, West Brom, Huddersfield and Southampton, along with his equaliser in the 1-1 draw with Everton, have proved crucial this season."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... corer.html
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby mr_nool » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
The wins would have been draws if he hadn't scored, which means two points per game for the winners.

Opta say 9 according to the Fail
"The 22-year-old's winning goals against Bournemouth, West Brom, Huddersfield and Southampton, along with his equaliser in the 1-1 draw with Everton, have proved crucial this season."

Well, that's 4 x 2 + 1 = 9, not 3 x 3 +1 = 10.
I.E. the wins only count for 2 won points.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm

mr_nool wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Opta say 9 according to the Fail

Well, that's 4 x 2 + 1 = 9, not 3 x 3 +1 = 10.
I.E. the wins only count for 2 won points.

Spot on - you win Mr N, BB and Mase joint second with 10 pts and PD last with 7 pts :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby budfox » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 pm

I've emailed the BBC suggesting that Raheem should be on the SPOTY list.

Apart from the sheer brilliance that Lord Raheem of Sterling has shown this season, many people will have actually heard of him, which is more than can probably be said of Bianca Walkden, Anya Shrubsole, Jonathan Rea, Jonnie Peacock and Elise Christie.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby ruralblue » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 pm

The photo of the lads after the game makes one wonder if the Magician really can do magic. Not saying he's packing or owt but for a little chap hes not such a little chap at all.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby phips » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:incredible. at 95:00 i was sure it was over.

pretty shocked we won this given that we played most of the game 9 vs 11. Gundogan and Jesus were absolutely anonymous. Ilkay needs to play with the U21s for maybe 2 months to get back into game form; he's been injured for SO long and he's hardly playing now that he's back.

today REALLY showed how hard its going to be without Mendy or Sane in the side giving width on the left. Delph offers no width and Jesus drifts inside.

Soton prob shouldve been up 2-0 at one point. Pep really needs to work on that zonal marking.

Of course they were, Jesus after all didn't win the the free kick, it was never scored from and we're still all square. He didn't have a shot superbly saved by Forster either.

It was a sloppy team performance compared to what we've been used to this season but no one was anonymous.

Glad somebody said it. Just because we don't play to our best does not mean that players are crap or are non existent. Jesus has 2 or 3 efforts on goal bringing certainly 2 great saves from Forster. Just seems it's black and white for some but there is something in between playing great and crap

sorry but i saw no meaningful contributions from Gundogan. none to warrant him starting any real game any time soon. he's so out of form and as a result he tries too hard--goes for glory when he should pass--which sucks because he won't get in form without playing decent minutes but he doesn't deserve them right now because he's been gash.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:09 pm

phips wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:incredible. at 95:00 i was sure it was over.

pretty shocked we won this given that we played most of the game 9 vs 11. Gundogan and Jesus were absolutely anonymous. Ilkay needs to play with the U21s for maybe 2 months to get back into game form; he's been injured for SO long and he's hardly playing now that he's back.

today REALLY showed how hard its going to be without Mendy or Sane in the side giving width on the left. Delph offers no width and Jesus drifts inside.

Soton prob shouldve been up 2-0 at one point. Pep really needs to work on that zonal marking.

Of course they were, Jesus after all didn't win the the free kick, it was never scored from and we're still all square. He didn't have a shot superbly saved by Forster either.

It was a sloppy team performance compared to what we've been used to this season but no one was anonymous.

Glad somebody said it. Just because we don't play to our best does not mean that players are crap or are non existent. Jesus has 2 or 3 efforts on goal bringing certainly 2 great saves from Forster. Just seems it's black and white for some but there is something in between playing great and crap

sorry but i saw no meaningful contributions from Gundogan. none to warrant him starting any real game any time soon. he's so out of form and as a result he tries too hard--goes for glory when he should pass--which sucks because he won't get in form without playing decent minutes but he doesn't deserve them right now because he's been gash.

Honestly thought he was no worse than anyone else. He had a couple of decent forays into the box and my only criticism at half time was a team one.
If I recall, I moaned that we weren't getting anyone (meaning him or Fern) high enough up the field to operate around the D and occupy a couple of their numerous defenders.
I do think he will not be a replacement for Silva, going forward though. He will be good cover for Fern maybe. I'd have him in ahead of Yaya at the moment.
Certainly if we want to keep any tempo in our play.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby zabbadabbado » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:19 pm

The press keep regurgitating the same mantra, we are lucky blah,blah,blah.No we are not lucky, we are worthy winners in every game we have won. Our possession stats are running at about 75% in nearly every game we play. We create 20 + chances,

Yet the way MSM carry on, you would think we are robbing the opposition of a deserved point. Southampton produced one of the most negative displays I have ever had the displeasure of watching, 9 men behind the Ball for most the game.

Teams are parking not just 1 Bus, they are parking 3 Busses, and we have to earn victories the hard way by knocking down the Door.

My only fear is these victories are taking a toll on the team because of the physicality being sapped out of them.

Hopefully some teams will make a game of it instead of this negative shit that Huddersfield,Sothampton play.

turned my ankle running through traffic to get to my Car last night,in agony today. :oops: :oops:
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:The press keep regurgitating the same mantra, we are lucky blah,blah,blah.No we are not lucky, we are worthy winners in every game we have won. Our possession stats are running at about 75% in nearly every game we play. We create 20 + chances,

Yet the way MSM carry on, you would think we are robbing the opposition of a deserved point. Southampton produced one of the most negative displays I have ever had the displeasure of watching, 9 men behind the Ball for most the game.

Teams are parking not just 1 Bus, they are parking 3 Busses, and we have to earn victories the hard way by knocking down the Door.

My only fear is these victories are taking a toll on the team because of the physicality being sapped out of them.

Hopefully some teams will make a game of it instead of this negative shit that Huddersfield,Sothampton play.

turned my ankle running through traffic to get to my Car last night,in agony today. :oops: :oops:

Will you be fit for Sunday?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zabbadabbado » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:The press keep regurgitating the same mantra, we are lucky blah,blah,blah.No we are not lucky, we are worthy winners in every game we have won. Our possession stats are running at about 75% in nearly every game we play. We create 20 + chances,

Will you be fit for Sunday?
Without a doubt....thank fuck no damage was done to my Pint lifting arm. :lol: :lol:
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Sane apparently has a virus but will be fit for Sunday. However I don't want him or Fern anywhere near the 1st team against West ham. Gundo in ferns role and Silva on from the start please.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:28 pm

[quote="zabbadabbado"]The press keep regurgitating the same mantra, we are lucky blah,blah,blah.No we are not lucky, we are worthy winners in every game we have won. Our possession stats are running at about 75% in nearly every game we play. We create 20 + chances,

turned my ankle running through traffic to get to my Car last night,in agony today. :oops: :oops:[/quote]

Jose Raul Capablanca (Cuban World Chess Champion in the 1920s) continually had the claim thrown against him, by all and sundry, that he was somehow a 'lucky' player for the victories he achieved.

His rejoinder was; "good players make their own luck".
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Jose Raul Capablanca (Cuban World Chess Champion in the 1920s) continually had the claim thrown against him, by all and sundry, that he was somehow a 'lucky' player for the victories he achieved.

His rejoinder was; "good players make their own luck".

A regular Oscar Wilde of chess was our Raul.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:40 pm

ruralblue wrote:The photo of the lads after the game makes one wonder if the Magician really can do magic. Not saying he's packing or owt but for a little chap hes not such a little chap at all.

Who's the lad bottom left - is it Grimshaw? No Yaya or Foden - must be in still celebrating in their boxes :D
Last edited by johnny crossan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby budfox » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
ruralblue wrote:The photo of the lads after the game makes one wonder if the Magician really can do magic. Not saying he's packing or owt but for a little chap hes not such a little chap at all.

Who's the lad bottom left - is it Grimshaw? No Yaya or Foden - must be in still celebrating in their boxes :D

My wife seems very interested in Merlin all of a sudden...
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:06 pm

phips wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Glad somebody said it. Just because we don't play to our best does not mean that players are crap or are non existent. Jesus has 2 or 3 efforts on goal bringing certainly 2 great saves from Forster. Just seems it's black and white for some but there is something in between playing great and crap

phips - you shouldn't ever argue with Doug , after what he's been through :D

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby freshie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I would happily see Foden get all of Gundogan's minutes. He offers precisely nothing

Thought he hid last night. Compare him to Silva who is always demanding the ball and is never scared to receive a pass, Gundogan was the exact opposite and as the game went on I just thought he put himself in positions where it was almost impossible to pass him the ball. Hopefully it was just an off night cos he was outstanding away to West Brom in the Carabao cup. Having said that, Aguero was also anonymous last night and I felt that Pep should've taken him off instead of Jesus
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
phips wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Glad somebody said it. Just because we don't play to our best does not mean that players are crap or are non existent. Jesus has 2 or 3 efforts on goal bringing certainly 2 great saves from Forster. Just seems it's black and white for some but there is something in between playing great and crap

phips - you shouldn't ever argue with Doug , after what he's been through :D

Not only did Mr H achieve legend status, but the famous ladder was an integral part of his commitment to the cause and became celebrated, in folk lore, in its own right. 8-) 8-)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Not a great game by any stretch but I think it was more a case of putting players in positions not suited to our style of play right now.

We’ve been successful with two deeper playmakers and it’s given the side a nice balance, also forcing some of the opposition out to stop them. With Gundo he went too far forward and this either isolated Kdb or forced him to go too far forward as well. They started occupying the space in which sane normally runs into with them sat ready to play him in.

With Jesus I think he could be an effective wife forward quite easily, but not with Delph behind him. Delph either sits deep or under laps so when Jesus naturally drifts in towards the goal we have no width down one side. Couple that with the previous point on kdb and gundo shifting forward and it allows them to play with a back 5/6/7/8 whatever it is at any point and makes it even harder for sterling on the other side to get any space.

None of this is down to any player being crap. We’ve just got a pretty good system right now and they either need to work into it or we need a plan b for when we bring players out as we will need to do.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum