Has Age Caught Up With Aguero ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Has Age Caught Up With Aguero ?

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 am

Let me make this clear. He has been a great servant to our club; he will always be a City legend regardless what the future holds for him.

Undeniable fact is though; he really has lost a yard of pace. That was evident last season, even more so this season. This system we play requires someone one with a bit of pace up front. I appreciate how difficult that solitary striker role can be we play having 3,4, defenders around you, and getting no service for long periods of the game.

He rarely tries to make anything happen these days, he seems content to just let the game pass him by for long periods. When he does receive the Ball he more often than not loses possession. It comes straight back at us.He does not have that burst of speed to beat a man any more either.

If I am being brutally honest I don’t think he suites our system any more. The threat he posses with his pace has all but gone. Sure he will still score goals for us if used correctly. Its his all round game that is the problem, Sitting in the middle of 3,4 defenders for long periods of the game doing fuck all, is not going unnoticed.

Notice the difference when Jesus plays in that roll. He forces defenders out of position with his movement. Even when he is not creating, he is contributing by dragging defenders out of position all the time. Where Aguero is happy just to sit centrally, It causes them no problems with his movement.Aguero helps the opposition park the Bus tactics because they know where he is all the time.Sat on their defence

I know Jesus is not the finished article in the scoring department just yet. In my opinion his all round game though is much better than Aguero.

He has to definitely start at the Swamp.

I also think if we are going to play the lone striker again, Jesus has to play in that roll because he offers us much more with his all round game. Aguero should only be used as in a front 2,or as a substitute.

I love the Guy and i hate saying this, but defenders get a much easier afternoon with Aguero these days than they once did.I think we will be looking for a new top class striker at the end of this season to compliment the system we play..
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Re: Has Age Caught Up With Aguero ?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:21 am

Just a blimp I think/ hope.....but he was terrible today , his first touch was awful.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 am

I thought it was common knowledge around here he needs 5 games after any injury to fire. Should be fine by the derby hahaha
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Just a blimp I think/ hope.....but he was terrible today , his first touch was awful.
I hope you are right mate.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby dazby » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I thought it was common knowledge around here he needs 5 games after any injury to fire. Should be fine by the derby hahaha

This.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 am

Not been 'on it' since the car crash.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby sheblue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 am

Maybe he needs a partner when he's surrounded by 5 defenders.
Just a thought.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Justified logic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 am

sheblue wrote:Maybe he needs a partner when he's surrounded by 5 defenders.
Just a thought.

Pep now talking about two strikers and two wingers against teams parking the bus. So Sunday's derby should be fun.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 am

Every time people have stated writing him off he's come back with a bang (and a hatfull of goals).

He loves scoring at the swamp. Play them both and terrorise them.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 am

16 appearances
11 goals

Panic????
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:54 am

Nickyboy wrote:Every time people have stated writing him off he's come back with a bang (and a hatfull of goals).

Let us all write him off so.

He's past it, all them steaks have caught up with him.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 am

He hasn’t played well in the last few games but look at how the opposition have played. Zero space. He is playing in the most congested area of the pitch. I think he will be fine as he always is. Surely the rags have to come out at us next week?
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 am

Sister of fu wrote:He hasn’t played well in the last few games but look at how the opposition have played. Zero space. He is playing in the most congested area of the pitch. I think he will be fine as he always is. Surely the rags have to come out at us next week?

They'll park the bus, hope for 0-0 for 70 minutes and then bring Twatan on to join Fellaini and Lukaku in the box and launch.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sheblue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 am

The rags will sit tight and try and hit us on the counter attack. My fear is they might get away with it. However either way can't see Kun getting a lot of room. If we play two up front who gets left out? That's the problem.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:25 am

zabbadabbado wrote:
He rarely tries to make anything happen these days, he seems content to just let the game pass him by for long periods. When he does receive the Ball he more often than not loses possession. It comes straight back at us.He does not have that burst of speed to beat a man any more either.

Dont agree with this part at all. If anything this season Aguero has been even more involved in making things happen and getting involved in general play. He has pulled out to the left wing and dropped deep and got involved. His close control and strength makes him very difficult to push of the ball and he is bringing more players into the play.

Of late, he has not been as clinical as he should be and that is costing us (not points but energy) but he is playing against packed defenses so chances are going to be few and far between. Jesus is the one i have been disappointed in so far this season. He hasn't had a clean run of games but when he has started, he has seemed mostly of the pace and missing some clear cut chances. Obviously he still needs time to settle into the league but until he does, Aguero is still our best striker.

I think Pep plans on giving a few players a mid season break as there is no way Aguero, Silva, KDB can keep up this intensity for a whole season. Over the xmas period we will see alot more of Yaya, Gundogan, Jesus and Bernardo
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Chinners » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:37 am

People were questioning Aguero and his pace/commitment etc about a year ago .... he'll be fine
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby john@staustell » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 am

I'm in the camp which says he hasn't had much space, with 4 players on him. When they are watching Aguero they can't be watching Silva, or even the Otter!

One thing - I thought with 2 centre forwards on one of them might have been on the end of that Walker cross. I'm not sure how they 'divide up the work'. Sometimes they are both going deep, sometimes both heading into the box
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 am

Justified logic wrote:
sheblue wrote:Maybe he needs a partner when he's surrounded by 5 defenders.
Just a thought.

Pep now talking about two strikers and two wingers against teams parking the bus. So Sunday's derby should be fun.

More years ago than I now care to remember, the coach at one of the teams I used to play for got us using a 3-3-4 formation and I was given the task of playing centre back in that system. :cry: :cry:

We scored loads of goals but also conceded a good many......we were renowned for being an inconsistent side :roll: :roll:

Having said that, I've often wondered why coaches in the PL never seem to have tried it as a 'from the start' set-up and I think it would really suit us and the problems sides try to cause us by packing midfield and defence.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Nickyboy wrote:Every time people have stated writing him off he's come back with a bang (and a hatfull of goals).

I like this. :D :D
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Slim wrote:16 appearances
11 goals

Panic????

I admit it is a strange one,His goals performance ratio is very good.He will always score goals.It is his all round game thats the problem.He makes it so easy for defenders to shut up shop.When KDB. Sane,Silva are on fire no one cares.Yesterday we needed more from him against a stubborn resolute defence.Simply never happened until Jesus came on the pitch.I think his performance in general have been pretty dire for a while if i am being honest.It is glossed over by him scoring a goal.You cant really criticise a striker for scoring after all.He is doing what he is paid to do.I think though that the lone striker roll demands more from a player.You cant simply always glide through a game waiting for a tap in from a cross from KDB or Sane. Sometimes it needs for you to step up to the Plate and make it happen.It dosent happen enough for me.Jesus for instance movement off the Ball is the Polar opposite of Aguero he makes things happen.Soon as he came on yesterday West Ham started to struggle defensively trying to contain us.

looks like Guardiola is on to it.Looks like we will be playing more to Aguero all round strengths over the coming weeks.Starting with the scum :D :D
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum