Lawro & DC predictions v Rags (A)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Lawro & DC predictions v Rags (A)

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Lawro takes on Pointless co-presenter Richard Osman for this weekend's fixtures.

Osman, who supports Fulham and is a season ticket holder at Craven Cottage, did not end up with a score to match the aim of contestants that appear on his TV programme when he took on Lawro in April 2013 - he scored 100 points.

How will he do this time, though?

Lawro says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42228035

Paul Pogba is out for Manchester United and while it looks like David Silva will be fit for City, they have a worry over their captain Vincent Kompany.
That doubt over Kompany is part of the reason I am predicting City's first defeat of the season.

I just think United have hit a run of form, and their win at Arsenal last week was very comfortable and impressive.
If Kompany is missing, that will give United more opportunities from set-pieces and, although City will create plenty of chances themselves, David de Gea is obviously in such fine form in goal for Jose Mourinho's side.

The key will be what Mourinho tries tactically. You know he will have a plan, and he will have had a team in mind for the past three or four matches too.
So Pogba's suspension is a blow for him as far as that is concerned, but I just have a feeling United will go and beat City, in not a particularly good game.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Richard's prediction: City look absolutely unstoppable - what a pleasure it has been watching them this season. If anyone can stop them, it's Jose Mourinho, but I don't think that he can. 0-3

Go on Richard, you tell Lawro how it is!

Merson says

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... n-and-more

United have to win, now they have beaten Arsenal. If they had drawn at Arsenal, a win over City would still leave them too far back. Now United have had two massive results at Watford and Arsenal, they actually have to take the game to City now.

These are the games you look forward to all week, but often these games disappoint. This one will be different though. Jose Mourinho is a master in these big games at setting up to contain the opposition, but they really have to have a go on Sunday. Paul Pogba will be a big miss, and if he was playing, then I would go for United, but they will have enough not to get beaten. City are chasing records, so will also have a go. I can't wait.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-2 (12/1 with Sky Bet)

So Merson reckons Utd are better than us because if Pogshit was playing he would go for a rag win. If that's the case Merse, why haven't they won every game this season?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Lawro & DC predictions v Rags (A)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:38 pm

We'll have a go because we're chasing records? There I was thinking we'd have a go because we want another 3 points.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Lets hope Lawro is his usual useless predictioner. Couple of weeks ago i was buzzing for this game. Now i am a bit fearful.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zabbadabbado » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Got to be honest, our recent drop in form has made me just a little bit concerned for this fixture, I wasn't a few weeks ago. I think most of us believe a little bit of complacency has started to set in “Yet” again.

The good news is,in the games we would normally have lost after dominating possession etc; we have won whilst not performing to our optimal best. That is the sign of Champions.

We can take our game to another level on Sunday, the Rags cant. The result is totally dependent on which City turn up Sunday, not on which Rag team turns up.

If complacent City turn up ,then the narrow wins we have been having the last few weeks will likely turn in to our first Premier League defeat of the season.

If the City that was scoring 4,5,6, a few weeks ago turn up then the Rags will comfortably be beaten.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Herb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:04 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:Got to be honest, our recent drop in form has made me just a little bit concerned for this fixture, I wasn't a few weeks ago. I think most of us believe a little bit of complacency has started to set in “Yet” again.

The good news is,in the games we would normally have lost after dominating possession etc; we have won whilst not performing to our optimal best. That is the sign of Champions.

We can take our game to another level on Sunday, the Rags cant. The result is totally dependent on which City turn up Sunday, not on which Rag team turns up.

If complacent City turn up ,then the narrow wins we have been having the last few weeks will likely turn in to our first Premier League defeat of the season.

If the City that was scoring 4,5,6, a few weeks ago turn up then the Rags will comfortably be beaten.

IMO it's the same City playing each game but opposition managers are studying what seems to work best against us and putting it into effect. Parking the bus deep and shallow, to deny space to operate between the lines, has been hit upon as the most effective way to nullify us.
It's not that our form has dipped in recent games (except perhaps insomuch as Kompany is slow and a poor passer compared to Stones)
but more the case that we've been partially sussed out. The joy in this is that the 3 x 2-1's have served as exercises in opening up locked defences - which we have done without fail.
If teams hadn't improved upon how well they keep us out then we'd be less well prepared for the derby. As it is I think we're well prepared and that we'll beat them.
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Have to agree Herb, there is no denying we are missing Stones invaluable passing out from the back.

Yes the last 3 league game we've lacked intensity in the first half, literally looking half arsed at times but as you say going at parked buses at pace is pointless, probing and making them move around to create holes is what we've seen.

If the rags want actually play then we will hopefully see a welcome Return Of the footie we saw in first 10 games or so.

Maureen parks the bus it'll be like the last 3 all over again and I'd happily take a fourth 2-1 win.

Of course we will need Delph, Merlin and Kompany to be playing.

Oh and if Fern is to get his 5th yellow, please can it be for taking Valencia out....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Have to agree Herb, there is no denying we are missing Stones invaluable passing out from the back.

Yes the last 3 league game we've lacked intensity in the first half, literally looking half arsed at times but as you say going at parked buses at pace is pointless, probing and making them move around to create holes is what we've seen.

If the rags want actually play then we will hopefully see a welcome Return Of the footie we saw in first 10 games or so.

Maureen parks the bus it'll be like the last 3 all over again and I'd happily take a fourth 2-1 win.

Oh and if Fern is to get his 5th yellow, please can it be for taking Valencia out....

If we're doing requests, I'd like it to be Herrera that's taken out, vile little cunt.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby zuricity » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm

United Play a wide W midfield leaving themselves open to be cut up.

I cannot see them switching to a back six and middle four within one week of Training.

Should be a great game. Not worried at all about this. Play good clean attacking football and we will romp it.

I hope Maureen starts the Konk, he is so slow....
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:Have to agree Herb, there is no denying we are missing Stones invaluable passing out from the back.

If we're doing requests, I'd like it to be Herrera that's taken out, vile little cunt.

Love it if he took out Mourinho on the touchline!
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby london blue 2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Main problem has not been stones being out. It's the last three teams putting 11 players behind the ball. I don't think stones would have made much of a difference in that aspect.

That said, when we play teams with a bit more ambition stones will be missed as he is vital to controlling the ball and hence the play. So Sunday could be a big miss.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Return to The Maine Football forum