Tuesday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tuesday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:45 am

THE BOLLOX

Manchester City star Gabriel Jesus could face two game ban for diving, says Mark Clattenburg
Former Premier League ref Mark Clattenburg believes Manchester City star Gabriel Jesus could face a retrospective two game ban for diving in the Manchester derby.
The Brazilian took a tumble after just 20 minutes at Old Trafford when he came shoulder to shoulder with Manchester United's Chris Smalling.
At the start of the season the FA implemented a new rule that sees diving players punished. However, this is only if the incident in question wins a penalty or leads to opponent being sent off.
Footballers that are not punished during the game will be put to a three-man panel who will review the video evidence.
Should they be found guilty they will be handed a two-game ban.
With no penalty awarded and no yellow card handed out, Clattenburg still expects the footage of Jesus to be reviewed.
"The incident in the first half is a dive from Gabriel Jesus,’ told The Times
"That’s a dive. I think we will see that being looked at by the Premier League and it will be interesting.
"There will be a referee, an ex-player and an ex-manager on the panel and it will depend on what the latter two say.
"The referee will say that it’s a dive but it will have to be a 3-0 verdict for him to receive a ban."

Benjamin Mendy's perfect tweet about Man City's celebrations after Man United win
The dust is still settling from a frantic and frankly pulsating Manchester derby which saw Man City defeat Man United in their own backyard, Old Trafford.
Pep Guardiola's troops emerged as 2-1 victors over Jose Mourinho's men, but the fracas that followed that match got everybody talking.
Mourinho is said to have confronted the blue half of Manchester when they were celebrating too exuberantly in the away dressing room after the game.
He was met by an angry response - with goalkeeper Ederson at the centre of the rebuttal - and things escalated quickly.
One of the signs of disrespect that was said to have incensed Mourinho was the use of confetti in City's dressing room.
Now, confetti is normally reserved for cup final victories or winning league titles, so was City insinuating that by beating United, they had won the league?
Either way, it was a strange and, quite possibly, unprecedented thing to do.
Social media king and injured left-back Benjamin Mendy decided to address the elephant in the room on Twitter on Monday and sent a fantastic tweet.
You have to believe Mendy has his tongue firmly in his cheek there and he knows exactly why there was confetti in the visitors dressing room. It seems City were that confident they would win!
Mourinho seemed to blame the referee after the defeat, but did acknowledge City are a good side,
“I think they are a very good team, they are lucky, they have decisions in their favour,” Mourinho said. “My first reaction is that I feel sorry for Michael Oliver. The referee is a human being and he tried his best. He was very committed to have a good match, which I think he had, but made one mistake, which was a crucial mistake.”
Guardiola, on the other hand, made it perfectly clear why his Man City side were victorious.
“We won because we were better in every department,” Guardiola said. “Last season it was the same – we won here and it [for Mourinho] was the referee. Today as well. Yesterday he spoke about the referee. We are an honest team. When a team has the courage to have 65 to 70 or 75% ball-possession it is because it wants to try to play and that is what we have done. We are clear, we are open and we want to attack.

The phrase that caused the fight at Old Trafford: Ibra, you talk a lot but you move a little
The Manchester derby ended with an unseemly tunnel fracas between both sets of players and staff, allegedly caused by City players mocking United's Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Some of the away team quickly made their way to the dressing room while other players and staff came into the tunnel dancing and singing.
Members of City's coaching staff, euphoric after the victory, picked on the Swedish striker.
"Ibra, you talk a lot but you move a little," was allegedly heard.
United took that as provocation and from that moment a brawl began in which at least 20 people participated. Plastic bottles were hurled in the melee, and punches thrown.
Pep Guardiola's team were loudly celebrating the win that put them 11 points clear of United in the away dressing room, and at that moment, Jose Mourinho apparently entered and asked for more respect and tact from the visitors.
However, his words did not sit well with City goalkeeper Ederson, who understood his Portuguese... and things took another nasty turn.
Mutual insults, jostling and a tremendous scuffle that included Romelu Lukaku throwing a bottle that hit a member of City staff, was the sum total of the second unsavoury incident in just a few minutes.
The Football Association have since asked both teams for their observations, and sanctions can't be ruled out as a result.

FA issues deadline to Utd & City
MANCHESTER United and Manchester City have until tomorrow to tell the FA what happened following Sunday’s derby, with reports of ugly scenes occurring after the match.
United manager Jose Mourinho and City goalkeeper Ederson are reported to have had a confrontation after City’s 2-1 victory, while it is claimed Mourinho had milk and water thrown at him from the away dressing room.
The home side is understood to have taken exception to City’s post-match celebrations and an altercation — involving up to 20 players and staff in the crowded corridor leading to the dressing rooms — is believed to have left City coach Mikel Arteta with a head wound.
Referee Michael Oliver did not witness the scenes.

PALI
/ˈpɑːliː/
noun
(in Hawaii) a cliff.
"Why don't rag_hater just throw himself off the nearest pali?"

Romelu Lukaku rushed to back up Jose Mourinho in 15-man derby face-off
Romelu Lukaku was accused of acting “like a second-row rugby player” as he tried to get to Manchester City’s players during the extraordinary tunnel bust-up at Old Trafford after Sunday’s Manchester derby that prompted both clubs and the Football Association to launch investigations yesterday.
The United striker rushed towards the City dressing room to back up his manager, Jose Mourinho, as ugly scenes broke out between the rival clubs after City’s 2-1 victory moved the Premier League leaders 11 points clear at the top of the table.
United and City are conducting internal inquiries and have been given until 6pm on Wednesday to provide to the FA their accounts of what happened before the governing body decides whether there is sufficient evidence to pursue charges against individuals and/or the clubs.

Brendan Rodgers could have been Roberto Mancini's sidekick at Man City - now he wants to kick him out Europa League
Had things gone in a different direction, Brendan Rodgers could have found himself lining up with Zenit St Petersburg manager Roberto Mancini rather than preparing to compete against him.
Out of work and out of the game after being sacked following a difficult six-month period at Reading, Rodgers was offered a route back into football via an invitation to become Mancini’s sidekick at Manchester City.
Rodgers and Mancini lunched in a Milanese hotel as the chance to assume a number two position materialised. However, when Swansea offered Rodgers the managerial post the allure of being his own man won the day.
“He’s a good man,” said Rodgers. “I was out of work at the time and between jobs. I got a call out of the blue from Manchester City. They were looking to get someone in to coach for the following season because they were trying to develop this style of football. I was at a crossroads. I didn’t know if I’d get another job or not. I’d applied for three jobs and never even got an interview.
“At that stage I thought I might struggle. Statistically the numbers tell you as well, especially first time managers, don’t get another chance.
“This was me sacked from my second job, so I thought I might need to go and be a no.2 somewhere.”
“I was still early on in my plan. The strategy was to become a manager at 38 - I was actually one at 35.
“They flew me out to meet Roberto in Milan at the end of the season and I spent a bit of time with him there. It was in that period I got the chance to go to Swansea so it didn’t materialise.
“I was still within my timeline. I was asked to speak to Man City because of my coaching at Chelsea, I’d worked with big players and communicated with big players.
“If I couldn’t get a manager’s job, that was the next best place to go, especially as the Man City project was very exciting.
“When choice came to be a no.1 at Swansea and David Platt joined Mancini at City.
“From a human side, Roberto was a nice guy. Kolo Toure could obviously tell you a lot more about his work at Man City. I knew him from meeting him and playing against his sides."
The draw was kind but that is no guarantee that the experience will be the same.
If Europe’s elite tournament was a chastening experience this term for the Parkhead side – 18 goals conceded does not make for a fun time in anyone’s book – then the Europa League has been viewed as a chance for some kind of redemption.
Ominously, Zenit St Petersburg can claim to have one over on Rodgers already.
“It’s a gorgeous city,” enthused the Celtic manager, who will not be there to admire the view. “I was there in 2012 with Liverpool and they had the likes of Hulk and Luciano Spalletti was the manager.
“We were out there in the first leg and they won 2-0. We needed three to win at Anfield. It was probably the only mistake Jamie Carragher made when I was there, he was short with a backpass and Hulk scored.
“It meant we needed four but we got to three. We had half an hour to get another one. We hit the post, everything, but we just couldn’t get another one it finished up three each and we went out on away goals.”
If Celtic were bruised in what was a formidable Champions League group this term, Zenit, by contrast, dominated their Europa League group on their way to the last 32 spot. The Russians finished top of the pool on 16 points after five wins and one draw, with Real Sociedad four points adrift in second. Rosenborg – whom Celtic faced on route to Group B in the Champions League - and finished third.
Zenit also finished the group stage campaign as the competition's top scorers with 17 from their six matches while conceding just five goals.
What may work in Celtic’s favour is the three month winter shutdown that kicked in for Russian football last night. Zenit played their final game of the year against Akhmat Grozny last night with the next fixture not due now until March, a situation that is akin to the one the Parkhead side face when embarking on their annual pilgrammage through the qualifiers.
“If you look at it in reverse, it’s a little bit like the challenges we face at the end of a season, coming straight into it,” said Rodgers. “And some of the teams we have to play in qualification are already in season.
“Naturally, it’s difficult. They had their last game last night and then they’re off on their winter break. Then they will be back, I suppose, some time in January, trying to get ready for that game. They will have a breather, a break and they will have winter training somewhere.
“Then they will be back. Of course, if you are in rhythm, in mid-season, it is better but they will see it as something they just have to get over.”
Zenit have former Chelsea defenders Branislav Ivanovic and Yuri Zhirkov in their squad, as well as a host of Russian internationals, including Viktor Fayzulin and Igor Smolnikov, and Italy internationalist Domenico Criscito.

GOLDEN BOLLOX 12-12-2010
Tevez last City match has been played (featuring Angry Ashton & OD)
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36186

Tevez story breaks: The early bollox on the Tevez story
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36186

Winning without Tevez: Is Balotelli the answer?
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36141

Ashtons thoughts on Tevez (the cunt)
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36179

***The OFFICIAL club statement*** (it has stars and is Official so no further comment is required)
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36171

Kia - Tevez Agent under scrutiny
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36181

Options for life without Tevez
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36172

Tevez captaincy dialema
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36170

A sadly neglected captaincy thread
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36176

Tevez caption comp
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36173

Forget the gloom have a Tevez giggle
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36184

The ultimate Bollox
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36174

RANDOM POSTING BOLLOX
Wonderwall wrote:Omg, almost pissed myself at this

Manchester derby: City celebrations not to blame for 'hilarious' row, says Ian Wright
Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright rejected claims that Manchester City over-celebrated Sunday's derby win and played down the post-match row.
United boss Jose Mourinho had milk thrown at him outside the Old Trafford dressing rooms after objecting to City's post-match celebrations.
The Premier League leaders won the game 2-1 to go 11 points clear at the top.
"It's just hilarious on so many levels, I don't think you can blame City," Wright told BBC Radio 5 live.
"People are accusing them of not having class, they are saying you don't know how to act when you win, but you've got to take into consideration they have just broken a record, the 14 wins, against their biggest rivals."
City's players celebrated in front of their fans after the final whistle, while the coaching staff tried, without success, to get coach Pep Guardiola to join them.
After the players and staff then headed down the tunnel, it is understood Mourinho made his feelings known outside the visitors' dressing room as he made his way to post-match interviews.
In the ensuing row the Portuguese coach had water and milk thrown at him, while City coach Mikel Arteta suffered a cut head after he was hit by a plastic drinks bottle. It is not known who threw it and sources from both clubs say no punches were thrown during the incident.
Mikel Arteta covered his face when he arrived at Manchester City's training ground on Monday morning
Wright believes Mourinho should have used City's celebrations as a way to motivate his players to not give up the title battle just yet.
Speaking on 5 live's Monday Night Club, Wright added: "There's a long way to go in the season.
"Maybe Jose should have said can you hear that next door? Can you see what they're doing? We've got to make sure that we ram this back down their throats instead of turning it into 'Milkgate'. I find it hilarious."
The Football Association announced on Monday that it will seek observations from both clubs in relation to the incident with the clubs having until 13 December to respond.
The referee, Michael Oliver, did not see the incident and did not include it in his report of the match.

OTHER BOLLOX
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud, 31, has revealed he will consider leaving the Emirates to boost his chances of being selected in France's World Cup squad. Everton and West Ham have been linked. (Sun)

However Arsene Wenger insists Giroud will not be sold in January as he looks to give the striker more Premier League minutes, (Independent)

Arsenal are making one last push to keep Mesut Ozil with the club still hoping a new round of negotiations could persuade the 29-year-old playmaker to stay, despite interest from Barcelona and Manchester United. (Mirror)

Real Madrid could yet decide to move for Chelsea's Belgium international goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, 25. (Sun)

Real, frequently linked with Manchester United's David de Gea, also expect to sign Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, 23, in January with an offer of 25m euros being made as soon as the transfer window opens. (Marca)

An author who worked with Jose Mourinho on a recent book believes Manchester United will sign Gareth Bale, 28, from Real Madrid in the summer. (Express)

Crystal Palace are confident of agreeing a deal to sign 36-year-old Espanyol goalkeeper Diego Lopez. (Mirror)

Liverpool's out-of-favour striker Daniel Sturridge may consider a move to Europe in the January transfer window, with Real Betis and Valencia thought to be interested in the 28-year-old. (Mail)

Leicester manager Claude Puel has revealed he tried to sign Demarai Gray during his time at Southampton. (Star)

Sam Allardyce will ask every member of Everton's first-team squad whether they wish to be part of the club's future before finalising transfer plans for January. (Guardian)

Former Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal insists the football played by Jose Mourinho's current United side is more negative than his team at Old Trafford. (Daily Mail)

Michael Owen's attempts to protect his sportscar from the elements backfired spectacularly when he woke to find it covered in a blanket of snow - and the tree sheltering it. (Mirror)

Stoke boss Mark Hughes has dismissed suggestion that he could be facing the sack following a run of three defeats in four league games for the Potters. (Talksport)

Newcastle United honorary vice-president Malcolm Dix, whose grandfather was a founder shareholder of Newcastle East End, who merged with West End to form Newcastle United in 1892, believes the club could sign top players on the basis of a takeover happening. (Newcastle Chronicle)

Former Liverpool defender Phil Thompson believes Jurgen Klopp's Merseyside derby selection suggested complacency and a lack of understanding of the game's importance. (Sky Sports)

Everton's Yannick Bolasie, who has been sidelined for over 12 months with a career-threatening knee injury, returned to action as a substitute for Everton under-23s on Monday but believes it will take him until at least mid-January before he is "back at it". (Liverpool Echo)

GOLDEN BOLLOX - 12.12.2013
[i]Manchester City midfielder James Milner: We’re ready for anyone
JAMES MILNER believes Manchester City’s outstanding comeback against Bayern Munich will make the rest of Europe’s leading sides sit up and take notice.
City hit back from 2-0 down to triumph 3-2 against the holders, with the midfielder hitting the 62nd-minute winner.
Boss Manuel Pellegrini did not realise that Milner’s goal had put them within one of swapping places with Bayern atop the table and ensuring an easier draw.
The miscalculation means City, second in the group, will face one of the top guns in Monday’s draw.
But Milner said: “We’ll take anyone in the next round. We will just be concentrating on us. It’s going to be a tough team whoever we get but we’ll take confidence from this and know we can progress.
“It couldn’t be tougher than Bayern. They are the reigning champions.
“They’re obviously one of the top teams and have been the last few years. So to be able to come here and win is pleasing. Hopefully it shows the quality we have and gives us all a massive confidence boost.
“With them being champions, the manner in which we won was great.
“The way the game went with us being 2-0 down, and the character we showed to turn that around ­– it was pleasing to be part of that.
“I’m not sure teams will want to face us after that. We just need to concentrate on our own game. But it was a big boost for us to be able to come here and win our game and score three goals, because it’s important you can score goals in the knockout stages.”
Milner also believes the game could prove to be a pivotal point for England team-mate Joe Hart who has been out of the side after a dip in form.
The midfielder is sure Hart will bounce back even better and that national boss Roy Hodgson will have a stronger goalkeeper into the bargain.
Hart recovered from the shock of conceding two in the opening 11 minutes to turn in an accomplished display, the highlight of which was a point-blank save from Mario Gotze who beat the City offside trap. “Nothing has changed with him,” said Milner.
“Everybody has ups and downs in their careers. Nobody’s career goes in one nice straight line because you will always have peaks and troughs.
“It’s not easy when you’re in and out of the team, so to perform how he has when called upon is a great credit to him. He will come back stronger – absolutely. Not that you need this, and it’s not nice for anyone, but it makes you stronger.
“You learn from this sort of thing. And anything that your career then throws at you going forward, you can deal with.”

Pellegrini's Munich mistake is a scandalous cock-up that could cost Man City millions and millions', fumes old boy Hamann
Ex-midfielder says boss's gaffe has cost City a 'bye tie' against minnows
A 4-2 win would see City avoid Real Madrid and Barca in knockout stages
Pellegrini waited until 88th minute to make final substitution
Souness: 'It was one of the strangest substitutions I've seen in a long time'
Goalscorer Milner admits team 'thought it needed to be 5-2'
Jamie Carragher said: ‘He must know he can’t play any English team and the ones left — Barca, Real Madrid, maybe Atletico — could be massive’

Didi Hamann fears Manchester City’s ‘ridiculous and scandalous’ Champions League blunder in Munich will cost his old club millions of pounds.
City beat European champions Bayern Munich 3-2 at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday but did not send on leading scorer Sergio Aguero to chase the one further goal they needed to top Group D because manager Manuel Pellegrini thought his team had to score another two.
It meant that, rather than finishing ahead of Bayern on the head-to-head ruling following their 3-1 defeat by the Germans at the Etihad in October, City ended up second. They are now almost certain to be paired with one of the heavyweights of European football in Monday’s draw for the first knockout round.
‘It’s a cock-up,’ said Hamann on Wednesday. ‘It shouldn’t have happened. The whole City coaching staff haven’t covered themselves in glory here. It’s a poor effort.
‘They say the manager is only as good as his backroom staff. He must have had six, seven, eight people around him. For none of them to know and make him aware of the magnitude another goal would have is ridiculous and scandalous in a way.
Pellegrini unaware City needed one more goal to overtake Bayern
SKY SPORTS: You're 3-2 up, you've got quite a bit of time to get this goal which would have topped the group, were you not tempted to put on (Sergio) Aguero, your best striker?
PELLEGRINI: I was tempted if we scored the fourth goal of course, that's why I sent out Aguero to warm up but also I think that it was a risk to continue with (David) Silva, he can't play more than 70 minutes.
‘Even a player doesn’t go to the manager and say, “Bring Aguero on”.’
Interviewed by the radio station talkSPORT radio, Hamann added: ‘It looks like in the last 16 they are going to face Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona or Real Madrid.
‘City have a belief they have a chance of winning it but, if they’d won the group they would have faced Basle, Schalke, Leverkusen, Zenit St Petersburg or Porto. They’d have had a bye.
‘Bayern made £60-£70million by winning the Champions League. Going out at the last 16 could cost millions of pounds.’
Pellegrini’s lack of awareness was even more embarrassing because the club’s Twitter feed pointed out they only needed one more goal to go through as group winners.
Man City could have gone through with another goal, based on their head-to-head record against Bayern
The tweet read: ‘If City were to score another and win 4-2, we’d win the group! City fans roaring their team on . . . ’
However, James Milner, scorer of City’s third goal, believes they have proved they can beat any team.
Bayern were on a record 10-game winning run in the Champions League and had conceded just twice in the competition this season.
‘We’ll take anyone in the next round,’ said Milner.

Manchester City's George Evans open to extending loan deal
GEORGE Evans says he would love to continue his football education at Crewe beyond his current loan deal.
The highly-rated midfielder, aged 18, is at Gresty Road from Manchester City until February, but is already eyeing up a longer stay under Steve Davis.
He has scored once in seven appearances so far and he is enjoying the steep learning curve in what is his first taste of senior football.
"It's a fantastic club and I've really enjoyed my time here," he said.
"I'd definitely like to stay longer. All the lads have been class with me.
"I've got to keep seeing how it goes. Hopefully I can keep playing and keep playing well. I just want to do well for the team.
"It's been massively beneficial. I've been here for six weeks and I think I've definitely improved as a player and I'm really grateful for the opportunity.
"It's been a great experience and I want to keep it going."
Manager Davis has been as impressed with Evans' attitude as he has with his ability since bringing him to the club in October.
He said: "George has done fine. He's still learning the game of course. He's still only 18, a young boy really, but he's a very mature lad and he's great to work with. He wants to do well, he's very determined and he doesn't like missing training or football. He's got a great attitude and all the credentials.
"There are a few things he needs to work at, but I think he's progressing. He's improving each game.
"He scored a fantastic goal against Vale. He needs to build on that and get more goals, but his general play is good. He's becoming more competitive and we're enjoying having him here."
Evans is one of five loanees currently on Crewe's books, although keeper Neil Etheridge is receiving treatment for a thigh injury at his parent club Fulham.

Aleksandar Kolarov open to Italy return
Manchester City defender Aleksandar Kolarov has revealed that he hopes to return to Serie A at some point in the future.
The 27-year-old, who joined City from Lazio in 2010, has recently been linked with a move to Juventus, and reports suggest that his days at the Etihad Stadium could be numbered.
However, the Serbian international said that he is enjoying more first-team exposure under new boss Manuel Pellegrini.
"I have a contract with City until 2015 - I'm playing and I'm glad," he told Sport Mediaset.
"Someday I'd like to go back to Italy, it will happen when the time is appropriate.
"I have never had contact with anyone in the past, and I am always focused on City. I'm putting in the work and I'm playing more now. We'll see what happens in the future."
Kolarov has started in eight of his 11 Premier League appearances this term.

Why history suggests Arsenal’s trip to Manchester City could be a thriller
Growing up as a Manchester City fan, Arsenal were the one team I never had any expectations of beating.
I used to dread the annual trip to Highbury. It was a fixture that for many years struck fear into the heart of every City fan.
It was a place, for nearly 40 years, where we never got anything.
Finally, in 2012, City got their first win in North London since 1975. Talk about a bogey team! James Milner and Edin Dzeko scored the goals, after the latter had missed a penalty, handing us a 2-0 victory and putting quite a few ghosts to rest.
This weekend we face our old fores once again, at home thankfully, in one of the most tasty looking fixtures so far in the Premier League campaign.
To whet the appetite, I thought I’d look back on some of the most memorable moments the fixture has thrown up over the years.
Despite our overall record against them, City were competitive against Arsenal at Maine Road throughout the 1970s – at least up until the Malcolm Allison years.
In 1977, Joe Royle scored a lovely headed goal from a Dennis Tueart cross to hand the Blues a 1-0 victory in front of a massive crowd of 45,000 fans.
During the 1980′s we were saved from humiliation against Arsenal, as we went down to the second division on numerous occasions.
However, we actually beat them in the 1986-87 season, another relegation year for us, with Imre Varadi scoring twice and Paul Stewart getting one in a rare 3-0 victory. Arsenal went on to finish that season in fourth place.
We started the early 90s under Peter Reid in happier times.
In the 1991-92 season, fan favorite David White gave us a 1-0 win with a great shot against David Seamen after a Tony Adams slip.
This was a special day as Arsenal had the likes of Alan Smith, Paul Merson and Ian Wright starting up front.
We finished that season fifth for the second consecutive year. Arsenal pipped us to fourth spot by two points. I remember they played in that awful yellow kit, nicknamed the pizza kit!
It hasn’t all been plain sailing though, and Gunners fans will remember fondly when in 2003, under Kevin Keegan, they hammered us 5-1.
Thierry Henry absolutely ripped us apart, so much so he was applauded off the pitch by the home fans at the end, something that rarely happens at Maine Road. They were just so good, all you could do was admire the talent on display. Something that has recently started happening to us.
The day we beat them 4-2 under Mark Hughes at the City Of Manchester Stadium in 2009 is one of my favorite ever games.
For most it is best remembered for Emmanuel Adebayor’s over the top celebration, running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Arsenal fans.
As a City fan at that match I was ecstatic, not just because the Arsenal fans had been taunting their former player all game, but because we were destroying Arsenal and this was a feeling I wasn’t used to.
Nowadays it’s a different scenario. We’ve since won the league and regularly look superb at The Etihad.
We’ve annihilated teams this season and scored goals for fun.
Can we do the same against a very in-form Arsenal who sit top of the Premier League? Both teams play a wonderful passing game and this encounter on paper should be absolutely enthralling.

Champions League power rankings: Arsenal and Manchester United both drop a place
The Champions League group stage reached its climax last night and we now know exactly who's in the pot for Monday's last-16 draw.
Arsenal squandered their chance to top Group F by conceding two late goals against Napoli, while Chelsea's 1-0 win over Steaua Bucharest ensured that they finished as Group E winners and will - in theory - receive an easier draw.
The two Manchester clubs both finished their group stage campaigns with wins on Tuesday night, but Manuel Pellegrini's maths blunder took a slight bit of gloss off an incredible comeback against Bayern Munich, as City had to settle for second place in their group.
But how does that leave them in the Champions League power rankings?
Don't forget, the power rankings are done in order of anticipated likelihood to win the competition and qualify for the next round, taking into account both long-term results and recent performances. The root of them is that too much should never be read into any single result.
The root of them is that too much should never be read into any single result, and explanation on certain positions can be found below.

1. Bayern Munich (no change, 3-2 defeat v Manchester City)
Still a cut above the rest of the field, even if the curious circumstances of their game against Manchester City left them so conspicuously dropping their level. The question is whether that is something to be concerned about, or just an aberration that they can learn from in the long term as with the second-leg defeat to Arsenal last season. You would guess the former, but then few would have guessed the manner in which City came back.

2. Barcelona (no change, 6-1 defeat v Celtic)
Against Celtic, Barca certainly did not miss Leo Messi, and that was because of a statement display from Neymar. Attackers of that calibre are probably the only element Bayern Munich are missing, and the only element that can temporarily bring the Catalans up to the German side’s level.

3. Real Madrid (no change, 2-0 win v Copenhagen)
Carlo Ancelotti may have a fair few tactical and structural issues, as the opening few months of the season have occasionally revealed, but they also have Cristiano Ronaldo to solve almost any problem. He may have missed a penalty against Copenhagen but he still kept up that remarkable scoring record. Real's season may well come down to this crux: will their flaws eventually outweigh the Portuguese's brilliance, or can Ancelotti fix them in time to truly fire?

4. Borussia Dortmund (no change, 2-1 win v Marseille)
Not for the first time, Jurgen Klopp’s side overcome a significant difficulty to rise to the occasion late on - and in this case into first place, a factor that further changes the complexion of what had been a complicated campaign. Even beyond the gegenpressing and the charisma of the coach, that mental resilience remains their biggest strength: that strongly evident resilience. Dortmund may not be at their best, but they are capable of rising to almost any occasion.

5. Chelsea (no change, 1-0 win v Steaua Bucharest)
Jose Mourinho said on the eve of his side’s last group game that Chelsea are not yet at the level of Bayern and the two Spanish giants, and on this evidence it’s difficult to disagree. There just remain a few structural issues with this Chelsea side, which seem to bring up a new problem every few weeks. In the two defeats to Basel earlier in this group, it seemed to be the crucial link between defence and attack. How Mourinho could do with someone like Xabi Alonso pinning it all together. At the same time, they still found a way to do what they must and finish top of the group. That sense of unrelenting assurance is arguably Mourinho’s greatest trait, and is the reason why they remain so high here.

6. Manchester City (no change, 3-2 win v Bayern Munich)
Manuel Pellegrini may well have come in for questioning after the Bayern game - and a surprise squandered chance to finish first could well put City in trouble of going out earlier than they should - but that could be all rendered irrelevant if this win also represented a ‘coming-of-age’ in Europe. City asserted themselves and their football in admirable fashion, and a far remove from what happened in the same stadium two years ago. They are not at Bayern’s level, but they are a team to be feared.

7. Atletico Madrid (up two, 2-0 win v Zenit St Petersburg)
Having strolled through their group to first place, the key is how they stand up to stronger forces. At the least, they are unlikely to meet a side of such quality until the quarter-finals, and you get the feeling Diego Simeone’s side would relish such a challenge.

8. Arsenal (down one, 2-0 defeat v Napoli)
All of a sudden, the new Arsenal have suffered from a few of their old traits. Certainly, this is a familiar Champions League route, as they again finish second in the group and will now likely have to play one of the competition favourites. The real issue is not that unnecessarily more demanding challenge, however, but the manner in which it has come about. For the second time in successive games, Arsenal squandered a chance to make even more of a statement about this undeniably developing team. On Sunday, they lost the opportunity to go a commanding seven points clear in the Premier League. On Wednesday, they lost the chance to greatly ease their entire season, as they rather desperately scraped through. What’s more, there is the threat of an element of doubt creeping back in. The team have obviously made a step in quality this season. This game raised more questions over whether they have made the psychological step up too.

9. Manchester United (down one, 1-0 win v Shakhtar Donetsk)
At various stages in the first half, and particularly after successive home defeats, it seemed as if David Moyes’ side were in what Andre Villas-Boas described as “the spiral of negativity”. Nothing was going right. As has been the case in so many recent games, every attempt at something different backfired. Donetsk could evidently sense a fear. Consequently, even if this was not the most commanding performance, the key could be in the potential effect of Phil Jones claiming a win out of nothing. With nerves steadied again, Moyes and the team must build on it.

10. Paris Saint-Germain (no change, 2-1 defeat v Benfica)
It is just as well a forgiving group allowed PSG first place because, unless Zlatan Ibrahimovic is firing at 100%, they still look a little short of taking on the top sides. At the same time, no-one will want to face them.

11. Galatasaray (up 10, 1-0 win v Juventus)
Was this Roberto Mancini’s greatest European achievement? Given the start Galatasaray had to this group, and given the very fact they changed manager in the middle of it, qualifying for the last 16 deserves huge credit - not least for the resilient manner in which that late winner against Juventus came about. That illustrated a durability to the team, which is enhanced by the dynamic quality of players like Didier Drogba and goalscorer Wesley Sneijder.

12. Bayer Leverkusen (up five, 1-0 win v Real Sociedad)
The curiosity is why it’s so difficult to square the side that got thrashed by Manchester United with one who have qualified for the last 16 and already conquered Borussia Dortmund this season? Did they show the English champions too much respect? Either way, Leverkusen are themselves deserving of more respect than after that reversal.

13. Schalke (up seven, 2-0 win v Basel)
Displayed hugely creditable response to their difficulties in this group by doing the double over Basel, and will represent quite a complication for any finer side they face.

14. Olympiakos (no change, 3-1 win v Anderlecht)
Did enough to get into the last 16, and that will likely be far enough barring an upset. Awkward opponents but few will fear them.

15. Milan (down two, 0-0 win v Ajax)
It’s remarkable to think that the most troubled and dysfunctional Italian side are the only one of the three in the second round, but that is the nature of knock-out football. On the evidence of this desperate draw against Ajax, they will need a lot more luck to go any further.

16. Zenit St Petersburg (down three, 4-1 defeat v Austria Wien)
The first team in history to go through to the second round with just six points. As such, unlikely to go any further.

17. Juventus (down six, 1-0 defeat v Galatasaray)
There are a fair few teams in the last 16 notionally worse than Juventus but that’s not how knock-out football works. What’s more, the 1996 winners only have themselves to blame after giving themselves so much to do, and then leaving it so open so late. A regrettable campaign, but not the only Italian side feeling like that.

18. Napoli (down three, 2-0 win v Arsenal)
Rafa Benitez clearly has an aptitude for European football but, on this occasion, the ‘control’ which served him so well in the past could have cost him. How Napoli must lament the reserved manner they played the ball about having gone ahead at Arsenal, when a siege was ultimately required. A lost opportunity, and one of Benitez’s worst Champions League campaigns.

19. Basel (no change, 2-0 defeat v Schalke)
It remains hugely difficult to square a team that couldn’t beat Steaua Bucharest at all with one that has now done the double over Chelsea, but the discrepancy did mean they ultimately dropped out of the group after another defeat to Schalke. A good outside bet, however, for the Europa League.

20. Shakhtar Donetsk (down four, 1-0 defeat v Manchester United)
Sensed a certain trepidation at Old Trafford and initially suggested they were capable of something but, like in the group itself, failed to grasp the nettle.

21. Ajax (down three, 0-0 draw v Milan)
A young, growing side lacked the maturity to make a real opportunity count in the San Siro, but they can take heart from this campaign.

22. Benfica (no change, 2-1 win v Paris Saint-Germain)
Too little, too late.

23. FC Porto (no change, 2-0 defeat v Porto)
A hugely disappointing campaign and a deserved elimination.

24. Copenhagen (no change, 0-2 defeat v Real Madrid)
Bottom of the group, but not without being bolstered by some respect.

25. Celtic (no change, 6-1 defeat v Barcelona)
26. Austria Vienna (up three, 4-1 win v Zenit St Petersburg)
27. Steaua Bucharest (down one, 1-0 defeat v Chelsea)
28. Viktoria Plzen (up four, 2-1 win v CSKA Moscow)
29. CSKA Moscow (down one, 2-1 defeat v Viktoria Plzen)
30. Real Sociedad (down one, 1-0 defeat v Bayer Leverkusen)
31. Anderlecht (down one, 3-1 defeat v Olympiakos)
32. Marseille (down one, 2-0 defeat v Arsenal)

Chelsea will revive their interest in signing Wayne Rooney from Manchester United, with the 28-year-old's contract due to expire in 18 months. Daily Mirror

Tottenham are to send club-record signing Erik Lamela out on loan to Atletico Madrid, which could pave the way for Koke to leave Spain. The 21-year-old is wanted by Liverpool, Manchester United and AC Milan. Daily Express

West Ham want to sign former Newcastle forward Obafemi Martins to solve their problems in front of goal. The 29-year-old Nigeria international is currently with Major League Soccer side Seattle Sounders. Daily Telegraph

Arsenal are closing in on Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann. The 22-year-old Frenchman is rated at £20m. Metro

Hull City want to sign Sunderland's 28-year-old midfielder Sebastian Larsson. Daily Mirror

Manchester United boss David Moyes is keen on Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke, 21, and was in the crowd to watch him play against Porto in the Champions League on Wednesday. Inside Futbol

Chelsea are keen to buy back midfielder Nemanja Matic, but the 25-year-old Benfica player, who left as part of the deal that brought David Luiz to Stamford Bridge, could cost £25m. DSSC

Chelsea are in pole position to sign Zouma, but Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been tipped off by his French scout Gilles Grimandi and could make a bid. Daily Mirror

Galatasaray midfielder Wesley Sneijder has ruled out a move to Manchester United. The 29-year-old Dutchman says he is happy to stay in Turkey. Goal.com

Ashley Young knows he has a reputation for diving but the 28-year-old Manchester United winger will not apologise for his actions.
Guardian

A fan has been arrested after Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and players were dazzled with a laser pen during the Champions League game against Steaua Bucharest at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday. London Evening Standard

West Brom boss Steve Clarke has been told that he will have no money available to strengthen his squad in the January transfer market. Sun

Newcastle and Southampton will have to wait until the summer to move for Cheikhou Kouyate. The Senegalese defender, 23, is keen to stay with Anderlecht for the remainder of the season. Talkshit

Former Chelsea defender Dan Petrescu would like to manage in England when he eventually leaves Dynamo Moscow. Sky Sports Understands

Tottenham will use a revolutionary blood-spinning technique to try to get defender Jan Vertonghen, 26, back from his ankle injury before Christmas. Independent

Former West Ham manager Billy Bonds claims that the club need to sign a back-up striker even if Andy Carroll, 24, returns to action in the coming weeks. Talkshit

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti says his "office door is always open" if Angel Di Maria wants to sort out any problems. The Argentine midfielder, 25, has been linked to AS Monaco for a winter transfer. Marca

Paris St-Germain's sporting director Leonardo believes former Manchester United player Paul Pogba, 20, will become "one of the best midfielders in the world". Tuttosport

Chelsea could exchange their midfielder Kevin De Bryune, 22, for German club Schalke's 20 year-old Julian Draxler. Bild

A young mascot appeared to be in floods of tears as he walked out on to the pitch with Arsenal's Mikel Arteta ahead of Wednesday's clash with Napoli. DSSC
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Tuesday's B*ll*x

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:06 am

With regard to Clattenburg's absurd, media grovelling, pontification about Jesus and his supposed simulations, all I can say is Clattenburg ought to keep his hair on and button his lip.

With regard to any FA 'investigation' into 'Milkgate', they'll be rubbing their hands at the prospect of deducting a load of points from us, to try and give the Scum a chance of winning the title.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Tuesday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Fair play from Wenger ...

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42324844
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure