Mangala's not been so bad?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mangala's not been so bad?

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Sorry to be negative but I thought he was utter gash today. Constantly gets himself into battles cos he’s too slow to move the ball, poor technique, controlling balls into the crowd, less assured than Zinchencko or Tosin for my money. Physically he’s ok, but he offers almost no football brain.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Sorry to be negative but I thought he was utter gash today. Constantly gets himself into battles cos he’s too slow to move the ball, poor technique, controlling balls into the crowd, less assured than Zinchencko or Tosin for my money. Physically he’s ok, but he offers almost no football brain.

There was s lot wrong tonight, but the whole thing can be looked st as a rest for the first team and excellent experience for the youngsters.
You are correct however, that one of the problems was that we hadn’t got anyone like Stones to carry the ball out when space is presented in front.
Yaya wasn’t available for a pass but Mangala and also Tosin to a lesser extent we’re incapable of taking it forward and picking a decisive ball out.
It went backwards far too often.

But listen, we won and should have done in 98 minutes against a very strong Leicester team on the end.

Actually scratch that. I thought Leicester were shite.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Sorry to be negative but I thought he was utter gash today. Constantly gets himself into battles cos he’s too slow to move the ball, poor technique, controlling balls into the crowd, less assured than Zinchencko or Tosin for my money. Physically he’s ok, but he offers almost no football brain.

I don't think you're being too negative PBL and the paradox is that Mangala would probably do a fine job in a side that played in a different way.

Ironically, he'd probably fit in with the Scum and their 'Park the Bus' way of operating, which minimises the need for a "footballing brain" as you phrased it, or even at Everton under BFS, or any side managed by Pulis.

In a Pep side, his limitations are exposed a little more acutely than they would in a Mourinho style side, which isn't necessarily saying he's a bad defender, just that he's not ideal for ourselves.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 pm

He did well tonight. But he is what he is.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:07 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

There was s lot wrong tonight, but the whole thing can be looked st as a rest for the first team and excellent experience for the youngsters.
You are correct however, that one of the problems was that we hadn’t got anyone like Stones to carry the ball out when space is presented in front.
Yaya wasn’t available for a pass but Mangala and also Tosin to a lesser extent we’re incapable of taking it forward and picking a decisive ball out.
It went backwards far too often.

But listen, we won and should have done in 98 minutes against a very strong Leicester team on the end.

Actually scratch that. I thought Leicester were shite.

Also, along with a lack of an out ball to the midfield, Yaya must take some responsibility here and Gundog could've done better in the second half, I thought Danilo could've offered much more from full back. I was disappointed with him tonight. I do wonder whether DM may be his best position
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby blues2win » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:07 pm

And maybe out for the weekend with a broken nose for potentially the last match before Stones comes back.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Love the bloke, never gives up.

PS. How you heathens don't see that!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Love the bloke, never gives up.

I’m genuinely pleased for him personally just don’t think he’s ever gonna fit into this side to be honest.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Relief is the overwhelming feeling whenever the ball leaves Eli
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:43 am

Terrible player. Not long for this club
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:18 am

I didn't think he was the worst player on the park last night.
It's not a secret his distribution is not his strong suit, but when those long throw ins were coming he was strong and helped keep them out, his booking was nonsense and he took a crack on the schnoz for the team.
Sometimes you need a strong player physically.
Also in a first choice eleven his play on the ball has been getting much better. The team as a whole has got a lot better at how to keep the football with movement and passing.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:20 am

i really like him and think he would be an excellent defender in the right team, eg rags or southampton or a Pulis side.

He has done well recently but last night i felt he was terrible, exactly as PBL described. Granted he wasn't helped by the midfield but he put us under alot of unnecessary pressure at times with slips and bad passes.

I cant argue that he gives his all though and thats pretty much all we can ask for.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:48 am

Spot on. What moaning tossers we have on here at times. Mangala did a good job last night and was an important part of a very good result. Love his attitude.

Reminds me of the Lescott scenario. He was a good defender and a very important part of a winning side but got all sorts of stick at the time because he wasn't silky skilled. Of course he isn't great with the ball at his feet and isn't the perfect player for a Pep team , we all know that but he did his job.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sandman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I didn't think he was the worst player on the park last night.
It's not a secret his distribution is not his strong suit, but when those long throw ins were coming he was strong and helped keep them out, his booking was nonsense and he took a crack on the schnoz for the team.
Also in a first choice eleven his play on the ball has been getting much better. The team as a whole has got a lot better at how to keep the football with movement and passing.

Spot on, he is what he is and he does a job, he works hard at being him.

No matter how good we get, not every squad player will be world class in Peps style.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 am

sandman wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I didn't think he was the worst player on the park last night.

Spot on, he is what he is and he does a job, he works hard at being him.

No matter how good we get, not every squad player will be world class in Peps style.

Puyol was tripe on the ball for Barca, but he found a role and a hell of a career, becoming a legend..... Mango should ask Pep how he did it !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Spot on. What moaning tossers we have on here at times. Mangala did a good job last night and was an important part of a very good result. Love his attitude.

Reminds me of the Lescott scenario. He was a good defender and a very important part of a winning side but got all sorts of stick at the time because he wasn't silky skilled. Of course he isn't great with the ball at his feet and isn't the perfect player for a Pep team , we all know that but he did his job.

Lescott was absolute quality for us and despite looking awkward his pass completion rate was one of the highest. Its no way comparable to Mangala, he looks awkward and isnt a good passer of the ball thats not even up for a debate. It doesnt take away the fact hes a fine defender, gives his all and can be valuable to us in a different way but if we are all being realistic it would be better for him to get a move and better for us if he was replaced and im one of his biggest fans here.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 am

Dubciteh wrote:

Lescott was absolute quality for us and despite looking awkward his pass completion rate was one of the highest. Its no way comparable to Mangala, he looks awkward and isnt a good passer of the ball thats not even up for a debate. It doesnt take away the fact hes a fine defender, gives his all and can be valuable to us in a different way but if we are all being realistic it would be better for him to get a move and better for us if he was replaced and im one of his biggest fans here.

I want him yo stay tbh.
I think Vincent is the man who needs to replaced in the squad now.
But it feels grubby to say it.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am

Dubciteh wrote:

Mangala’s pass completion rate is also one of the highest. Can't imagine Lescott coping too well in this system, that's not to bad mouth him because I thought he was brilliant for us but the system we played when he was here protected his flaws more than Pep's system would.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 am

Bravo put him under more pressure last night and it felt like last season when we put ourselves in trouble for the sake of it instead of just hoofing the ball when needed.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Bravo put him under more pressure last night and it felt like last season when we put ourselves in trouble for the sake of it instead of just hoofing the ball when needed.

Bravo did make a few poor decisions in the first half in particularly. Getting the ball close to your own corner flag as a CB, with opponents rushing at you and Pep's voice in the back of your mind that we should play our way out of every situation can't be easy ...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum