Phil Foden

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Phil Foden

Postby Justified logic » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:26 am

everyonehatesus wrote:Or lets get the league sorted and when its out of anyone elses reach guve the kids 5 or 6 games in the prem on the bounce

This as well.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:53 am

Phil Foden is the youngest ever Premier League winner and is continuing to impress for Manchester City. So will he get more action this season? Patience is a virtue but such is Foden’s quality that the wait should not be too much longer, writes Adam Bate.

Phil Foden left the field with a hamstring injury against Bayern Munich at the weekend but only after giving everyone the latest glimpse of his rare potential. It was all there. Bringing the ball down out of the air, slipping through balls behind the defence with both feet and collecting passes on the half turn. Bernardo Silva scored twice but Foden was just as good.

The teenager has a natural ability to find space but even when denied it, his close control is so assured that he can dribble out of danger with ease. It was impossible not to be impressed. "Phil Foden played an outstanding game today," said Pep Guardiola afterwards. "He is a fighter. He is a guy who runs. He has an England mentality as in he never ever gives up."

Cynics might say that Foden will need that attitude if he is to navigate a path through to the Manchester City first team given the competition for places in Guardiola's congested squad. Foden's five appearances off the bench were enough to ensure he became the youngest ever player to pick up a Premier League winners' medal last season but it will not get easier.

Time is on his side, of course. Foden only turned 18 in May - having to stick with the soft drinks as the champagne flowed around him during City's open-top bus parade earlier that month. By any measure, he is ahead of schedule. But life at Manchester City is demanding. Every training session brings opportunity. But every transfer window brings threats.

The signing of Riyad Mahrez means that another big name has arrived looking for minutes and City have also been pursuing another midfielder. The good news for Foden is that Guardiola is clearly a fan. "I'm so happy to have him," he said last season. "He's a Mancunian, a City fan, a humble guy. He's a fighter. He looks skinny but he's a strong guy."

Foden's appetite has already struck a chord with supporters who can empathise with the idea of the local lad playing alongside the superstars. His wide-eyed joy at seeing Sergio Aguero collect his simple pass and slam home his fourth goal of the game against Leicester - thus earning a first Premier League assist for Foden - was a pleasure to witness.

He knows that there is much to learn and, importantly for City, that he is in the right place to do so. "It gives me a lot of confidence that the manager wants to keep me," he said recently. "He's always talking to me and letting me know where I need to improve. I just listen to him and see what he can help me with and make me better."

That is why he opted to go on City's tour instead of playing for the England U19 team this summer. "I think it was right for me to stay here and try to develop more and become a better player," he added. "It's going to be quite difficult. I just need to try and show the manager what I can do in training, work hard and see where that takes me."

Guardiola has been typically enthusiastic about the prospects for City's youngsters this summer. "You cannot imagine how much I have enjoyed these two weeks with these guys," he said at the weekend. "The young guys have desire. They open their eyes and listen because they have their whole career ahead of them. I want to say thank you to them."

But while his positivity about the experience of coaching them providing an irresistible contrast to the downbeat attitude of his Manchester United counterpart and long-time rival Jose Mourinho, many will still be wondering whether these words will be backed up by actions. Will Guardiola give the youngsters more opportunities? Will Foden get his chance?

"People say it depends on managers but it depends on players," says Guardiola. "I'm not going to put young players in because they are young. They will be in the squad because they have quality." With every pre-season friendly and every cameo appearance, Foden offers more evidence that quality is no barrier for him. The case for his inclusion grows.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11453530/phil-foden-at-manchester-city-will-he-get-more-opportunities
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:11 am

phips wrote:
Phil Foden is the youngest ever Premier League winner and is continuing to impress for Manchester City. So will he get more action this season? Patience is a virtue but such is Foden’s quality that the wait should not be too much longer, writes Adam Bate.

Phil Foden left the field with a hamstring injury against Bayern Munich at the weekend but only after giving everyone the latest glimpse of his rare potential. It was all there. Bringing the ball down out of the air, slipping through balls behind the defence with both feet and collecting passes on the half turn. Bernardo Silva scored twice but Foden was just as good.

The teenager has a natural ability to find space but even when denied it, his close control is so assured that he can dribble out of danger with ease. It was impossible not to be impressed. "Phil Foden played an outstanding game today," said Pep Guardiola afterwards. "He is a fighter. He is a guy who runs. He has an England mentality as in he never ever gives up."

Cynics might say that Foden will need that attitude if he is to navigate a path through to the Manchester City first team given the competition for places in Guardiola's congested squad. Foden's five appearances off the bench were enough to ensure he became the youngest ever player to pick up a Premier League winners' medal last season but it will not get easier.

Time is on his side, of course. Foden only turned 18 in May - having to stick with the soft drinks as the champagne flowed around him during City's open-top bus parade earlier that month. By any measure, he is ahead of schedule. But life at Manchester City is demanding. Every training session brings opportunity. But every transfer window brings threats.

The signing of Riyad Mahrez means that another big name has arrived looking for minutes and City have also been pursuing another midfielder. The good news for Foden is that Guardiola is clearly a fan. "I'm so happy to have him," he said last season. "He's a Mancunian, a City fan, a humble guy. He's a fighter. He looks skinny but he's a strong guy."

Foden's appetite has already struck a chord with supporters who can empathise with the idea of the local lad playing alongside the superstars. His wide-eyed joy at seeing Sergio Aguero collect his simple pass and slam home his fourth goal of the game against Leicester - thus earning a first Premier League assist for Foden - was a pleasure to witness.

He knows that there is much to learn and, importantly for City, that he is in the right place to do so. "It gives me a lot of confidence that the manager wants to keep me," he said recently. "He's always talking to me and letting me know where I need to improve. I just listen to him and see what he can help me with and make me better."

That is why he opted to go on City's tour instead of playing for the England U19 team this summer. "I think it was right for me to stay here and try to develop more and become a better player," he added. "It's going to be quite difficult. I just need to try and show the manager what I can do in training, work hard and see where that takes me."

Guardiola has been typically enthusiastic about the prospects for City's youngsters this summer. "You cannot imagine how much I have enjoyed these two weeks with these guys," he said at the weekend. "The young guys have desire. They open their eyes and listen because they have their whole career ahead of them. I want to say thank you to them."

But while his positivity about the experience of coaching them providing an irresistible contrast to the downbeat attitude of his Manchester United counterpart and long-time rival Jose Mourinho, many will still be wondering whether these words will be backed up by actions. Will Guardiola give the youngsters more opportunities? Will Foden get his chance?

"People say it depends on managers but it depends on players," says Guardiola. "I'm not going to put young players in because they are young. They will be in the squad because they have quality." With every pre-season friendly and every cameo appearance, Foden offers more evidence that quality is no barrier for him. The case for his inclusion grows.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11453530/phil-foden-at-manchester-city-will-he-get-more-opportunities

This myth still lives.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:37 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:

This myth still lives.

Depends really, our squad is congested when you think about the amount of players and positions everyone included, eglook at defence 4 centre backs plus denayer tosin garcia....etc

However in reality, our squad is thin because most of them will leave either on loan or permanently meaning we prob have only about 19/20 first team players that pep would consider for first team games and Foden should be one of them. Whether he plays much or not i expect same as last year tbh.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:49 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:

This myth still lives.

Depends really, our squad is congested when you think about the amount of players and positions everyone included, eglook at defence 4 centre backs plus denayer tosin garcia....etc

However in reality, our squad is thin because most of them will leave either on loan or permanently meaning we prob have only about 19/20 first team players that pep would consider for first team games and Foden should be one of them. Whether he plays much or not i expect same as last year tbh.

Your second paragraph is what I'm referring to, the reality. Our squad is no more congested than anyone else's, in fact we don't even name 25 senior players in the submitted squad because we don't have club grown senior players ( yet) to make up the numbers whereas most of the rest do.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby BmoreBlue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Think in this case congested refers to the quality of the depth, rather than the number of players. For example he has to get in front of KDB, Silva, possibly Bernardo if he were to play centrally, Gundogan. That would be a tall task for anyone - our backup free 8s would start for the vast majority of clubs in England. We may only have 20ish senior players, but almost all of them would start in most places.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby phips » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm

so annoying that he kept #47 this season instead of switching to 11, for example.
those high numbers look stupid

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:21 pm

phips wrote:so annoying that he kept #47 this season instead of switching to 11, for example.

There's nothing worse than looking stupid.
Original Dub

Postby phips » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Original Dub wrote:
phips wrote:so annoying that he kept #47 this season instead of switching to 11, for example.

i trust your vast knowledge on the subject.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:34 pm

44 looked okay on Ali B. 42 on Yaya had its moments too. Phil should keep 47 and set out to make it equally famous.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby bigblue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

44 looked okay on Ali B. 42 on Yaya had its moments too. Phil should keep 47 and set out to make it equally famous.

Aboubakar Kamara has #47 for Fulham and is known as AK47
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dubciteh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm

I actually think the same. Even a 1x or 2x would be better same with diaz.

On that issue, wolves keeper is number 11 hope there relegated for that alone.....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby nottsblue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

On that issue, wolves keeper is number 11 hope there relegated for that alone.....

They have kept the number 1 jersey free in respect of their goalie who had to retire for medical reasons, leukaemia I believe. I guess 11 is the closest to 1 they will get.

Unusual I know but the reasoning I can’t fault
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 pm

bigblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

He should consider getting a tattoo done.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby nottsblue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:21 pm

bigblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

Surprised Harry Winks at Spuds hasn’t chosen the shirt number 40
nottsblue

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:31 pm

nottsblue wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

Surprised Harry Winks at Spuds hasn’t chosen the shirt number 40

:D :D
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course

Postby dazby » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Qaulity. Absolute qaulity.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:44 am

nottsblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

They have kept the number 1 jersey free in respect of their goalie who had to retire for medical reasons, leukaemia I believe. I guess 11 is the closest to 1 they will get.

Fair enough had not heard that before.

11 is still a stupid keepers number no matter how you dress it
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:01 am

Moonchesteri wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Fair enough had not heard that before.

11 is still a stupid keepers number no matter how you dress it

Neil Young wore the number 11 shirt as did

Aleksandar Kolarov (14/15 - 16/17), Scott Sinclair (12/13), Adam Johnson (09/10 - 12/13), David Ball (09/10), Elano (07/08 - 08/09), Darius Vassell (05/06 - 06/07), Jon Macken (01/02 - 04/05), Terry Cooke (00/01), Peter Beagrie (94/95 - 95/96), Carl Griffiths (93/94), Rick Holden (93/94), Michael Hughes (91/92), Ian Brightwell (91/92), Mark Ward (90/91), Paul Lake (89/90), Peter Bodak (82/83), Peter Barnes (78/79), Paul Power (77/78) and Dennis Tueart (76/77),
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Is possibly gonna get a few more minutes than he would have expected over the coming months.

Lets see if he has more than raw potential
nottsblue

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum