Semi Final - League Cup

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Semi Final - League Cup

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Wow great draw.
Personal for me as Ashton Gate was the last ground I went to with City before I left to live France for 3 years and it was Slim, who arranged for my lad to be Mascot at the game (Cheers Bro, forever grateful). Amazing occasion with Nedum as captain and Sven was manager. Awesome occasion and we won 2-1
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Semi Final - League Cup

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Good memories WW. Good draw too, obviously. I guess we can go just as youthful for the first leg, then bring out some big guns second leg (if required). Forget the quad for now, 2 trophies in a season would be equal to our best (no?)
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 am

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:Good memories WW. Good draw too, obviously. I guess we can go just as youthful for the first leg, then bring out some big guns second leg (if required). Forget the quad for now, 2 trophies in a season would be equal to our best (no?)

Love having you back DHTP, you were missed, and AS too :D

We are at home first, so I would play the strongest possible team as the champions league doesn't interfere, i would play our strongest team possible and blow it out of the water. Leave the second leg to be whatever is necessary.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:30 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:Good memories WW. Good draw too, obviously. I guess we can go just as youthful for the first leg, then bring out some big guns second leg (if required). Forget the quad for now, 2 trophies in a season would be equal to our best (no?)

We are at home first, so I would play the strongest possible team as the champions league doesn't interfere, i would play our strongest team possible and blow it out of the water. Leave the second leg to be whatever is necessary.

Agree strong team for 1st leg to TRY and get it won! Let's not be like the scum and assume it's easy
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Agree strong team for 1st leg to TRY and get it won! Let's not be like the scum and assume it's easy

Wise words
Take this seriously.
Strong team at home and IF we do a good job, then play a few different faces for the away leg.
Clownio deserves his place though.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:05 am

Hahahahahah. Omg.
Thank you United
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby phips » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am

Wonderwall wrote:We are at home first, so I would play the strongest possible team as the champions league doesn't interfere, i would play our strongest team possible and blow it out of the water. Leave the second leg to be whatever is necessary.

but as someone pointed out in another thread first leg falls between FA cup 3rd rd and Liverpool away
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 am

phips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:We are at home first, so I would play the strongest possible team as the champions league doesn't interfere, i would play our strongest team possible and blow it out of the water. Leave the second leg to be whatever is necessary.

but as someone pointed out in another thread first leg falls between FA cup 3rd rd and Liverpool away

That's OK. Rotate for the Burnley game. This is a cup semi final ffs.
Who knows, if we do the job properly and have won our league games in the meantime, it could be Liverpool in the league where we allow one or two to rest..
If we do well in the FA Cup every month will be busy until the end of the season
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john@staustell » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:27 am

This time of year they'll just have to get out there and fuckin play. Hopefully win the first leg handsomely then play kids for second leg. For the rest of it only Bernardo and Gundo look really like they should be playing with the big boys.

I think some people would rather not be in the semi so we can rest players. In which case why the hell do we bother playing football at all?!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm

john@staustell wrote:This time of year they'll just have to get out there and fuckin play. Hopefully win the first leg handsomely then play kids for second leg. For the rest of it only Bernardo and Gundo look really like they should be playing with the big boys.

I think some people would rather not be in the semi so we can rest players. In which case why the hell do we bother playing football at all?!

This for me . one of my best trips home in recent years , was the L C Final agsinst Livershite
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

carolina-blue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:This time of year they'll just have to get out there and fuckin play. Hopefully win the first leg handsomely then play kids for second leg. For the rest of it only Bernardo and Gundo look really like they should be playing with the big boys.

This for me . one of my best trips home in recent years , was the L C Final agsinst Livershite

At the beginning of the season we should plan to play 63 games

38 PL
13 CL
6 League Cup
6 FA Cup

This is why we have a squad of 25 players. When we give up on a pot because of fixture congestion not even half way through a season, then it's time to give up and go home.

As it goes, the lead we have in the PL means that any fixture congestion we may have in April and May will hopefully not matter in the grand scheme of things. Also, it is worth noting, a League Cup pot on the sideboard in late February/early March will give everyone a big boost in the quest for further honours.

It's a cup semi. Treat the thing and the opposition with due respect and go all out to win
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Return to The Maine Football forum