*** newcastle v city*** official match thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** newcastle v city*** official match thread

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 am

Should have been two nil apparently according to the two bloats

Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby phips » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:35 pm

for comparison's sake:

in the league this season Gundogan has a 90% pass accuracy with a avg distance of 14m. in that he supposedly plays only 0.5 key passes per match, which is 5th lowest on the team (outfield players only) behind Kompany, Danilo, Mangala, and Otamendi. Yaya, who has been criticized for slowing down play this season, has a higher pass accuracy and plays more key passes per match (0.7--small difference i know).

Mangala had an 84% pass accuracy last season with Valencia and those had an average distal of 21m. Last season Fernando had a pass accuracy of 88% with an avg distance of 16m.

So, two players who i believe have been consistently criticized for their passing abilities on this site both played longer passes than Gundogan. yes that was last season but it demonstrates that even those 2 players were more ambitious in their successful passing that Ilkay has done this season.

passing accuracy isn't the most important statistic. i know he hasn't played a lot this season but im not the one that brought up his statistic from this season so im just using them because they were made eligible in this discussion.

additionally, in the image below of the passing map from the Spurs match that i mentioned you can see that Ilkay's dot is small (low # of touches) and his most common pass was sideways to Delph at LB with only a few going to Sane on the wing or KDB centrally.

Last edited by phips on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm

phips wrote:Beefy, no, not "first and foremost". I have no idea where people got that from.

admittedly maybe im subconsciously comparing him to Silva because he's taken his spot even though they're far from the same type of player. i dont believe im being overly critical. im well aware of his injury history and I've also mentioned more than a few times that he needs to get match time to get back up to speed. that being said, i haven't seen a single thing from him thats been good this season (aside from his headed goal vs Spurs). he misplaces most of his passes (excluding the simple backwards/sideways passes) and his shots are either wildy speculative/ambitious and miss by a mile or are weak and straight at the keeper. he's trying too hard to score and in doing so is being too selfish and his hurting his own game.

Apologies for I got it wrong, just couldn't understand how you got your view when it's completely different to what near enough everyone else sees.

Out of interest, who do you support and where you from?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby phips » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:49 pm

as my little stats thing on the righthand side says: California, City & Dortmund.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:49 pm

phips wrote:for comparison's sake:

in the league this season Gundogan has a 90% pass accuracy with a avg distance of 14m. in that he supposedly plays only 0.5 key passes per match, which is 5th lowest on the team (outfield players only) behind Kompany, Danilo, Mangala, and Otamendi. Yaya, who has been criticized for slowing down play this season, has a higher pass accuracy and plays more key passes per match (0.7--small difference i know).

Mangala had an 84% pass accuracy last season with Valencia and those had an average distal of 21m. Last season Fernando had a pass accuracy of 88% with an avg distance of 16m.

So, two players who i believe have been consistently criticized for their passing abilities on this site both played longer passes than Gundogan. yes that was last season but it demonstrates that even those 2 players were more ambitious in their successful passing that Ilkay has done this season.

passing accuracy isn't the most important statistic. i know he hasn't played a lot this season but im not the one that brought up his statistic from this season so im just using them because they were made eligible in this discussion.

You downplay pass accuracy, but it is relevant and certainly a player further up the field has to be better at passing because of the reduced space afforded them. So a higher pass completion rate than a centrehalf certainly highlights the difference in ability.

And as far as the distance on their passes, swinging the ball sideways to the fullbacks or back to the keeper, something a centrehalf and a defensive midfielder would do, will give them more distance than an intricate pass on the edge of the opposition area.

Not sure what your arguing but those points are fundamentally flawed.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm

phips wrote:as my little stats thing on the righthand side says: California, City & Dortmund.

Ah, can't see them on my tablet. Who came first, City or Dortmund, just for clarification.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby phips » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
phips wrote:as my little stats thing on the righthand side says: California, City & Dortmund.

Ah, can't see them on my tablet. Who came first, City or Dortmund, just for clarification.

Fair ‘nuff.
City came first.

Slim wrote:You downplay pass accuracy, but it is relevant and certainly a player further up the field has to be better at passing because of the reduced space afforded them. So a higher pass completion rate than a centrehalf certainly highlights the difference in ability.

And as far as the distance on their passes, swinging the ball sideways to the fullbacks or back to the keeper, something a centrehalf and a defensive midfielder would do, will give them more distance than an intricate pass on the edge of the opposition area.

Slim, im giving you a standing ovation in my mind. I was wondering if anyone on here was smart enough to pick out that exact flaw in my “argument”. Well done.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:34 pm

phips wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Fair ‘nuff.
City came first.

Slim wrote:You downplay pass accuracy, but it is relevant and certainly a player further up the field has to be better at passing because of the reduced space afforded them. So a higher pass completion rate than a centrehalf certainly highlights the difference in ability.

Slim, im giving you a standing ovation in my mind. I was wondering if anyone on here was smart enough to pick out that exact flaw in my “argument”. Well done.

PMSL, just testing the water with your pointless post then?

I take it back about you not being a troll, you quite obviously are after that ridiculous comment.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby phips » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 pm

if you sincerely think that in a discussion each party only puts forth infallible points then i feel sorry for you.
ever watched a debate? ever prepared for one? what i should've done, but didnt care enough to do since this is only an internet forum after all, is come up with a counter to that point since i knew it was the downfall of my own argument.

that being said, Slim correctly pointed out the hole in my argument about passing distance in the comparison between defenders and midfielders but i think in doing so he also proved that passing accuracy isn't that great of an argument either as the City midfielders are much more likely to play sideways short passes thus drastically increasing their passing accuracy.

all of that being said, i still think Gundogan has been poor. i was listening to a Dortmund pod today and they were talking about how poor he was in his first season there and that he was widely considered a disappointment (not a failure--big difference) and that it took him about 9 months to get up to speed in Klopp's system. given how often he's been injured since moving to City this feels like roughly the same time frame.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Tim777 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:22 pm

phips wrote:if you sincerely think that in a discussion each party only puts forth infallible points then i feel sorry for you.
ever watched a debate? ever prepared for one? what i should've done, but didnt care enough to do since this is only an internet forum after all, is come up with a counter to that point since i knew it was the downfall of my own argument.

that being said, Slim correctly pointed out the hole in my argument about passing distance in the comparison between defenders and midfielders but i think in doing so he also proved that passing accuracy isn't that great of an argument either as the City midfielders are much more likely to play sideways short passes thus drastically increasing their passing accuracy.

all of that being said, i still think Gundogan has been poor. i was listening to a Dortmund pod today and they were talking about how poor he was in his first season there and that he was widely considered a disappointment (not a failure--big difference) and that it took him about 9 months to get up to speed in Klopp's system. given how often he's been injured since moving to City this feels like roughly the same time frame.

No, you're lying. You should have started walking after you missed the bus.
Instead, you're doing an MJ-style moonwalk super-swiftly towards the Grand Canyon here.
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby phips » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:24 am

no, im not. point out the lie.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Wooders » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 am

So in other words phips , you’re admitting to being a thick cunt?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 am

phips, I'd like to wish you a very happy new year on here and expect the first part of it to be devoted to an extensive reply to your critics.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 am

If I write a hard hitting, critical email or post, I like to leave them stew on it.

Nothing more annoying for them than knowing I don't even bother to read their angry rants.

More people should try it!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Kippax Sean » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:57 am

Hate stats, they can be so misleading about a players impact or influence on a game. Sometimes a player can do more vocally than physically........
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum