Sunday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Sunday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06 pm

THE BOLLOX

Pep Guardiola fears the effects on Man City of fighting on four fronts
Pep Guardiola has admitted he is concerned that Manchester City’s season could fall apart in the new year because of the demands of chasing success in four competitions.
City have proved just about unstoppable over the first half of the season, dropping just two points in 20 Premier League matches.
Victory at Crystal Palace on Sunday would equal Guardiola’s personal best of 19 successive league victories, set at Bayern Munich between October 2013 and March 2014, and would also set a Premier League record of 12 consecutive away wins.
Guardiola has repeatedly rejected the suggestion that his team could become only the third to go unbeaten through an entire English top-flight campaign, and has made clear in the past few days that he believes that this season’s title race is far from over.
Now he has pinpointed January as a dangerous month, suggesting that the glut of fixtures might cause City to stumble. Today’s match will be City’s ninth of December, and there will be at least seven more to come in January, with that total rising depending on FA Cup results.
Guardiola is concerned about that, plus the fact that he has no experience of chasing four trophies in a single season. City are still involved in the Champions League and Carabao Cup, as well as the FA Cup and the Premier League.
“Handling four competitions, I don’t know if we will be able to do that,” he said. “When I look at the schedule, we have to be careful. So, I am worried. I am worried because we cannot play every three days.
“After Crystal Palace and Watford in the Premier League, we have the FA Cup against Burnley, and then the Carabao Cup against Bristol City, who have taken out four Premier League teams. So be careful.
“Kevin de Bruyne cannot play every minute every three days. The players need refreshing to be right for the last part of the season.
“Also, I never lived in that situation before. Three competitions, I’ve handled many times. But four, never. And the fourth competition is not one game. It’s double games and [potential] extra-time. So, that’s why I am worried. We are going to see how we handle that situation.”
Guardiola refuses to take satisfaction from City’s outstanding form over the first half of the campaign, instead suggesting that it has made him question why they did not do better last season.
Their success to date has been achieved with the bulk of last season’s squad; of the players he brought in last summer, only goalkeeper Ederson and right-back Kyle Walker have been regular starters.
“When I speak with my staff, I say that we are playing with nine players from last season,” Guardiola said. “So something we did last season was not good. There was something we missed.
“Of course, they know us, the staff, better, and we know them better. Last season, for example, I never thought we would play Fabian Delph at full-back. And now it’s: ‘Ah, the brilliant Pep. How talented he is.’ Why didn’t I do that last season? I ask myself as well.
“Sometimes you need more time to see things. He’s a real leader in the locker room is Fabian Delph. That’s why I always give credit to the players for what they do.”
Guardiola, meanwhile, has indicated that he would be happy to aid England’s drive for long-term success by passing on advice to Gareth Southgate and the Football Association.
The City manager said that he was keen to help, having been grateful to those who helped him when he started his coaching career at Barcelona.
He said: “I did it because I was a young manager before, and for me it was a gift to speak with managers who opened the doors to explain what they believe about the profession, about the locker rooms, about the tactics, about whatever. So, of course, I am able to speak with them.
“They don’t know it, but I am going learn from them as well. I am pretty sure of that. Normally when this happens, I try to be so much smarter to take something from them.”

Sky Sports pundits agree Manchester United squad is better than Manchester City’s Bollox
MANCHESTER UNITED’s squad was better on paper than Manchester City’s at the start of the season, according to several Sky Sports pundits.
Third-place Manchester United are currently 14 points behind Premier League leaders Manchester City after 21 games of the season.
Pep Guardiola’s City side are yet to lose a game and are currently on a record-run of 18 straight wins.
But Sky presenter Jeff Stelling quizzed his panel of Matt Le Tissier, Alan McInally, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas on who they would have preferred from each squad before the season started.
“Let’s play a little game,” Stelling said to the quarter of former stars.
“So for example Tiss, would you have picked Ederson or (David) De Gea?”
Souhampton hero Le Tissier quickly replied: “De Gea.”
“Of course you would, Manchester United obviously,” Stelling said in response.
“Alan McInally, were (Nicholas) Otamendi and (John) Stones viewed as a better central defensive partnership than Phil Jones and Eric Bailly?”
“Absolutely not,” replied former Scotland international McInally.
Stelling then turned attentions to the midfield, asking Thompson: “Thommo, would you have taken (Nemanja) Matic ahead of Fernandinho?”
“All day,” the Liverpool legend replied.
The final question was regarding United forward Marcus Rashford and City winger Raheem Sterling, who has surprised many with his goalscoring form this season.
“This is probably the most interesting one, how many people Charlie would have swapped Marcus Rashford at the start of the season for Raheem Sterling?,” Stelling asked.
“Yeah I would have done, I would have preferred Rashford,” said Nicholas.
Nicholas went on to explain the pundits' choices, saying the reason for the difference between the sides is the managers.
“That’s the point. The points that are relevant there is that these players are finding it awkward under (Jose) Mourinho whereas Guardiola, his players are finding it absolutely beautiful," he said.

RANDOM ARCHIVE BOLLOX
Re: Ewood Park Roll Call
by bluelingy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:07 pm
the_georgian_genius wrote:
Attending: Yes
Where: Lower Tier Sir!
Form of Transport: 11am train from Piccadilly Sir!
Why are you taking that form of transport: So i can have many many drinks and get pissed Sir!
What Inflatables are you taking: 3 beach balls, 1 giant banana and an inflatable cow Sir!

OH WHEN THE BLUES, GO MARCHING IN, OH WHEN THE BLUES GO MARCHING IN, I WANNA BE IN THAT NUMBER, OF WHEN THE BLUES GO MARCHING IN.

NEVER FELT MORE LIKE SINGING THE BLUES, CITY WIN, UNITED LOSE, OH CITYYYYYYY, YOU GOT ME SINGING THE BLUES!!

May be better going from Victoria Rather than Piccadilly , 50 Minuets from Victoria rather then 1 1/2 Hours from Piccadilly

Attending - Yes
Where - lower
Transport -Train from Ashton to Victoria then to Darwin Driving a Minibus Home
Why - not drinking and have to drive to Long Eaton after the game.
Inflatables - Beach ball

Man City boss Pep Guardiola happy to speak to FA and Gareth Southgate about coaching methods
Pep Guardiola says he would be happy to speak to the Football Association and England manager Gareth Southgate about his football beliefs and developing younger players.
In the past, the FA has brought in coaches and former players to share their experiences about the game, with Southgate also speaking with England rugby coach Eddie Jones to get his perspective on coaching.
Now Guardiola, whose Manchester City side could open up a 16-point lead at the top of the Premier League table with a win over Crystal Palace on Sunday, has said he would be happy to speak to the FA about his coaching methods and insisted he welcomes any opportunity to learn from others.

WAG OF THE DAY
Spoiler: Show/Hide
Spoilbox

Enjoy the Pep Guardiola show while you can - enigmatic Man City boss's high-octane reign may not last
To watch Guardiola at close quarters is to wonder how long he can endure the intensity with which he approaches every aspect of his job.
As Manchester City aim to bring their 2017 to a remarkable close with a 19th successive Premier League win, the praise has been all but exhausted.
The only thing left to say is enjoy it while you can, my guess is Pep Guardiola will not be around for a Fergiestyle era.
That is what the club’s top executives want. Why on earth would they not?
That is why they will try to get Pep around the table if he gets a spare moment over the next few weeks.
City fans might have taken encouragement from the fact Guardiola has actually bought an apartment in Manchester.
But to watch Guardiola at close quarters is to wonder how long he can endure the intensity with which he approaches every aspect of his job.
Yes, he is not alone on that score, but you understand why he needed that sabbatical after his four years in the Barcelona chair.
Guardiola is always at pains to point out the Premier League places no extra stress on him and his players than La Liga did or the Bundesliga did.
Roy Hodgson "not at all" surprised how Manchester City's Raheem Sterling has blossomed since giving him senior debut
In fact, he can get quite prickly on the subject, insisting only those who have worked in those competitions can make a judgement.
Let’s put it this way. If you are looking for someone to join the multitudes who claim the Premier League is the most competitive, intense and best domestic club competition in th e world, don’t call Pep.
However, the workload for a Premier League manager, especially one who wins a lot of matches, might well outstrip most.
It is a very old chestnut but the lack of a winter break must take its toll on managers as well as players.
Both Guardiola and Jose Mourinho are expected to go deep into the Champions League, but both have talked of arriving at the knockout stages at a physical and mental disadvantage.
City should take care of FC Basel in the round of 16.
But in the 56 days leading up to the first leg of their tie, the English team will have played 14 times (assuming they beat Burnley in the third round of the FA Cup) and the Swiss team twice.
That discrepancy is not as startling between the other English clubs and their opponents, but it is still there in all cases and still significant.
“I saw the schedule in my office the other day and I wanted to escape because it is terrible,” Guardiola said at St James’ Park after Premier League win No.18.
For a moment, it seemed like he was only half-joking. Some managers can switch off when away from the training ground or the stadium.
Mark Hughes, for example, is one of those. Guardiola is not.
His friends tell of how half an hour or so is the longest he appears to be able to stop thinking about football.
There are people who can switch off from football - Pep isn't one of them (Image: AFP)
It is the sort of intensity he instills in his players. He expects them to have his work ethic.
At times this season, it has been exhausting just watching them and him.
Halfway into his three-year deal, now is the time for the Etihad board to try and persuade Guardiola to commit for longer.
And what a fillip not just for City but for the Premier League that would be.
But to operate with this intensity for even half a decade would be some challenge.
Let’s hope Guardiola’s football is here for a long, long time. But, just in case, make sure you enjoy it while you can.

Man Utd summer spending spree won’t help Jose Mourinho catch Man City
MANCHESTER UNITED boss Jose Mourinho isn’t capable of keeping up with rivals Manchester City - even if he brings in a host of superstars next summer.
Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho is desperate for new signings next month
That’s according to former England boss Glenn Hoddle.
Pep Guardiola’s side are currently 14 points clear of their neighbours at the top of the Premier League and are enjoying an 18-game winning run.
United slipped to their third consecutive draw yesterday and Mourinho is desperate for reinforcements when the transfer window opens tomorrow.
The Portuguese has been accused of setting his side up too defensively and Hoddle believes the club are going backwards under the ex-Chelsea manager.
“I almost feel sorry for Jose Mourinho,” he said in his Mail on Sunday column.
“Clearly, however, you can't feel that way for such an accomplished manager with such a big budget to spend.

Barcelona raid
According to The Sun, Guardiola wants to sign Samuel Umtiti from his former club.
Umtiti is understood to have a £50million release clause in his contract and that figure is small change to City as they look to continue their remarkable form this season.
Guardiola is eager to bring in a new centre-back in January having conceded he cannot rely on captain Vincent Kompany due to his fitness issues.
City have been linked with Real Sociedad's Inigo Martinez and West Brom's Jonny Evans, who they tried and failed to sign in the summer.
But Umtiti is now said to be at the top of Guardiola's shopping list.
The Frenchman joined Barcelona from Lyon in 2016 for €25million and is highly regarded by the Spanish giants.
But they will not be able to stand in the 24-year-old's way if City meet his release clause and he wants to go.

OTHER BOLLOX
Barcelona kit manufacturers Nike advertised Barca shirts with Liverpool midfielder's Philippe Coutinho's name on the back, declaring: 'Philippe Coutinho is ready to light up Camp Nou'. (Metro)

Barcelona will make a £130m bid for Coutinho, 25, this week - and are confident they will land the Liverpool playmaker they missed out on in the summer. (Sunday Mirror)

Real Madrid will offer 28-year-old forward Gareth Bale in a £150m player-plus-cash deal for Tottenham's 24-year-old striker Harry Kane. (Daily Star Sunday)

Arsenal are interested in signing Chelsea centre-back David Luiz but, if the Blues do not want to sell the 30-year-old to a Premier League rival, then a switch to Juventus could be an option for the Brazilian. (Sunday Express)

West Ham are interested in signing former Chelsea midfielder Andre Schurrle, 27, from Borussia Dortmund. (Bild - in German)

Bayern Munich and Manchester City are believed to be interested in joining the race to sign a pre-contract agreement with Liverpool and Germany midfielder Emre Can, 23, although Juventus remain firm favourites. (Tuttosport - in Italian)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he does not know what 29-year-old forward Alexis Sanchez's plans are regarding the Chile international's future at the club. (Sunday Times - subscription required)

Alexis Sanchez's agent has reached out to Manchester City to convince them to make a January move for player, who is desperate to leave Arsenal. (Metro)

Arsenal have emerged as favourites to sign Steven N'Zonzi, 29, from Sevilla with Everton manager Sam Allardyce admitting he needs to strengthen in attack and at full-back. (Daily Star Sunday)

West Brom have looked into the prospect of 29-year-old defender Jonny Evans leaving as they consider their options for the January transfer window. (Manchester Evening News)

The Baggies, Middlesbrough and Sunderland are in discussions over a move for Ghana international winger Edwin Gyasi, 26, from Norwegian side Aelsunds. (Mail on Sunday)

Daniel Sturridge, 28, fears Liverpool will block his move away from Anfield, with Stoke and Southampton in the hunt for the striker, which could put his World Cup hopes in doubt. (Sun on Sunday)

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic admits Ryan Sessegnon's future is out of his control after Real Madrid became the latest club to be linked with the youngster. (Evening Standard)

Everton, Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham have been linked with a January move for 29-year-old Atletico Madrid attacking midfielder Nicolas Gaitan. (AS)

Monaco midfielder Thomas Lemar, 22, is eyeing a move to the Premier League to the delight of Liverpool and Arsenal. (Sun on Sunday)

West Brom have joined Fiorentina and Sevilla in the race to sign midfielder Yannis Salibur, 26, from Guingamp. (L'Equipe - in French)

Everton face competition from Leicester, Tottenham and Stoke to re-sign 17-year-old Callum Wright from Blackburn Rovers. (Liverpool Echo)

Bayern Munich have been dealt a major blow in their bid to tempt Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to join the club. (Daily Star Sunday)

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes says that Jose Mourinho has failed to invest wisely at the Old Trafford club. (Sunday Mirror)

Manchester United left-back Ashley Young, 32, could face a retrospective ban after appearing to elbow Southampton forward Dusan Tadic, 29, during a goalless draw at Old Trafford on Saturday. (Sunday Express)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says 25-year-old midfielder Jack Wilshere's return to form after "what he has gone through, shows a special character". (Sunday Telegraph)
Injured Celtic midfielder Tom Rogic, 25, watched Saturday's Old Firm draw with Rangers at a supporters bar in Sydney. (Daily Record)

Cristiano Ronaldo has asked that Real Madrid set their selling price for a potential transfer at a "realistic" total of 100m euros (£89m). The 32-year-old Portugal forward is ready for a move away from the Spanish club. (Daily Record)

Chelsea forward Eden Hazard, 26, has not rejected a contract extension with the Premier League champions, despite claims from the Belgium international's father that he wants to move to Real Madrid. (Independent)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is lining up a move for Crystal Palace's Ivory Coast winger Wilfried Zaha, 25, to replace Chile forward Alexis Sanchez, 29. (Daily Star)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says the £75m signing of 26-year-old Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk from Southampton does not mean the club have to sell Philippe Coutinho - but he stopped short of saying the 25-year-old Brazil midfielder will not leave the Reds. (Daily Mail)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Return to The Maine Football forum