Pep’s priorities

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep’s priorities

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Each game on its own merits should suffice. We should have enough to beat Burnley, basel, and Bristol so Liverpool is the only proper test. And it's not the end of the world (although it would fucking piss me off) if we drop points there.

I'd take a loss at anfailed if it meant winning more silverware in the long run.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Each game on its own merits should suffice. We should have enough to beat Burnley, basel, and Bristol so Liverpool is the only proper test. And it's not the end of the world (although it would fucking piss me off) if we drop points there.

I'd take a loss at anfailed if it meant winning more silverware in the long run.

True, but I'm sick of losing at that shithole. Saying that, whatever gets us the most trophies...

The draws have been kind to us, particularly having the chance to put Bristol away in the first leg of the LC. Few players rested on Saturday and hopefully get past Burnley.

No reason we can't challenge for honours n all fronts
Original Dub

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Has to be the league and the league cup.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:We've got a decent cushion in the league so ordinarily I'd want us to go after both cups, then maybe relax a bit against Liverpool. However, an unbeaten league season is history/legacy stuff - our form won't last forever but as it is, we've got the chance to set an unbreakable record.

I'd go after that at the expense of the FA cup for sure. League Cup is set fair as we shouldn't need to go full pelt to beat Bristol over 2 legs - the kids who performed in the last round should all be recalled.

Summary: Throw everything at an unbeaten league season with a record points total - aim to be the most dominant champions ever.

Do you think an unbeaten league campaign is a) more historical than a domestic treble and b) more realistic than a domestic treble? If not, then surely throwing a few league games would be worth it to truly go for something that would be even more historical, no?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm

nottsblue wrote:The PL is all but won. At the start of the season that would have been number one prority.

Next on the list are the three cup competitions. The CL would naturally take priority here. Whether the LC or the FA cup is the next priority probably comes down to the individual fixtures of whom we are playing and when.

We are in the semi finals of the LC with lower league opposition the only obstacle to a Wembley final. As such, surely this competition takes priority over the FA cup?

Thats not to say we disregard the FA cup fixture this weekend. As mentioned, the PL is all but in the bag barring an unheard of collapse. The next fixture is away at the dippers. I'd argue to go full strength in the cup on Saturday and the first leg of the semi. If a weakened team is to be played then surely its in a competition we are already miles in front?

Agree with you here, notts.

PL is quite clearly the #1, but at the moment the priority towards our fixtures now would seem to be different almost entirely due our ridiculous lead in the league.

Pep will likely prioritise CL matches as a result if it's about who plays versus say a top 6 PL club in the league over the weekend with only 2 days rest between that game and a CL knockout leg, yet still depending on what the result was in the first leg, who is home/away.

Since we now look to have a great chance to win CL this year with so many top clubs in transition, whilst we look arguably the best club in Europe (although Barca undefeated in La Liga quietly looking like they deserve a shout as well, and PSG), why would he not? I think going into the season if we were in a tough battle for the league/top 4 it would be much trickier.

However, I tend to think Pep, and probably any manager we have from now on, will always field the best team in big CL games, unless we are desperate for points for some reason.

FA and Carabao Cup trophies this year will be icing in the cake, but what also helps us have an excellent chance of seeing Pep field strong teams in those games is also due to our league lead, and I genuinely think the entire team is highly motivated to win the quadruple, make history and show up the haters.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Bear60 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Our owners priority is Champions league always has been its been a long well organised build up to this ever since the takeover and this season we have a very good chance of achieving this . I think the club at this present time is capable of three if not four trophies this season I personally would be happy with premier league and champions league which we are well capable of achieving.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Bear60 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Bear60 wrote:Our owners priority is Champions league always has been its been a long well organised build up to this ever since the takeover and this season we have a very good chance of achieving this . I think the club at this present time is capable of three if not four trophies this season I personally would be happy with premier league and champions league which we are well capable of achieving.

Can't believe I have just made a statement like that after following City all of my life but this is where we are right now it's bloody great
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Bear60 wrote:
Bear60 wrote:Our owners priority is Champions league always has been its been a long well organised build up to this ever since the takeover and this season we have a very good chance of achieving this . I think the club at this present time is capable of three if not four trophies this season I personally would be happy with premier league and champions league which we are well capable of achieving.

Can't believe I have just made a statement like that after following City all of my life but this is where we are right now it's bloody great

This season is our best chance of reaching the CL final and like you say our owners prioritise this "niche" competition .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Bear60 wrote:

Great times Neal. Great times.

Enjoy every minute of it pal.
Original Dub

Postby Kippax Sean » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Very close to two pieces of silverware, but anything can happen. It's gonna be a real juggling act...... Think pep will want the treble with the fa cup taking a back seat.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Kippax Sean wrote:Very close to two pieces of silverware, but anything can happen. It's gonna be a real juggling act...... Think pep will want the treble with the fa cup taking a back seat.

Well the FA cup is quite big too, but the CL trophy will take up all of the passenger seat .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Dyche reportedly saying he is rotating his team for the FA Cup on Saturday due to intense Christmas schedule !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm

I wouldn't mind winning the CL, on the proviso that when the trophy was presented, the players placed it on the pitch, formed a circle around it and then collectively urinated on the shoddy, UEFA piece of detritus.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm

City64 wrote:Dyche reportedly saying he is rotating his team for the FA Cup on Saturday due to intense Christmas schedule !

Hopefully
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 pm

City64 wrote:Dyche reportedly saying he is rotating his team for the FA Cup on Saturday due to intense Christmas schedule !

All the more reason for you to get down Market street earlier on Saturday to get the lay of the land in the pubs , any gossip or latest news on Dyche’s late changes to plans, C64.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 pm

zuricity wrote:

All the more reason for you to get down Market street earlier on Saturday to get the lay of the land in the pubs , any gossip or latest news on Dyche’s late changes to plans, C64.

Im not going Saturday Zurich pal , weekend off for me feet up on my armchair ! :lol:
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Kippax Sean » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 pm

zuricity wrote:
Kippax Sean wrote:Very close to two pieces of silverware, but anything can happen. It's gonna be a real juggling act...... Think pep will want the treble with the fa cup taking a back seat.

Well the FA cup is quite big too, but the CL trophy will take up all of the passenger seat .

Still remember the feeling and tears when we won the fa cup after being without silverware for all those years, will always be number 2 after the league for me. But I think for pep and owners cl is more of a priority.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 pm

City64 wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Im not going Saturday Zurich pal , weekend off for me feet up on my armchair ! :lol:

Mmmm....I hope, on that basis, there's no danger of you getting de-hydrated No.64.

Even though you'll be at home, you'd be still advised to maintain your liquid intake.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Kippax Sean » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I wouldn't mind winning the CL, on the proviso that when the trophy was presented, the players placed it on the pitch, formed a circle around it and then collectively urinated on the shoddy, UEFA piece of detritus.

:lol: Wouldn't want to be the chief polisher after that..
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Justified logic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:37 am

This says it I think, given current injuries and that the squad still needs a few more recruits. Domestic treble could be attainable together with a decent CL shot next season. All dependent upon injuries, draws and luck of course.
Justified logic

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum