Pep’s priorities

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep’s priorities

Postby Dwaring » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm

With all four competitions now in play, where do you want Pep’s priorities? Can we try to compete for all 4? If that’s the plan, which matches would you rest players? The lineups this week should start to give us to insight on what the club is thinking.

Personally i want to go for all 4. I would field mixed teams vs burnley (fa Cup) and Bristol (league cup) this week in hopes of giving everyone enough rest before heading to the dipper. Hoping to sweak both and remain In the competitions.

If I had to choose one, I field the youngest against burnley, try to drub Bristol with the hope of getting a nice lead to field the youngester on the second leg. Giving the main guys some more time off before the champions league starts back up.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Re: Pep’s priorities

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:21 pm

For me it's:

The league
Champions league
League cup
FA Cup

I priorities the league cup before the FA cup simply because we're only one round from a trip to Wembley.

I would play a very young/weakened team on Saturday, just hoping for the best. Likewise on Tuesday, since we have a chance to redeem ourselves if we fuck up. I want as strong a team possible against Liverpool.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm

f*ck the FAC and all those potential replays. leave it to yaya and the kids.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 pm

I agree with Noolie. I would put a decent side out in the league Cup but kids in the fa cup
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby sheblue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm

I think we might jusy go out of the fa cup this weekend.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:20 pm

We've got a decent cushion in the league so ordinarily I'd want us to go after both cups, then maybe relax a bit against Liverpool. However, an unbeaten league season is history/legacy stuff - our form won't last forever but as it is, we've got the chance to set an unbreakable record.

I'd go after that at the expense of the FA cup for sure. League Cup is set fair as we shouldn't need to go full pelt to beat Bristol over 2 legs - the kids who performed in the last round should all be recalled.

Summary: Throw everything at an unbeaten league season with a record points total - aim to be the most dominant champions ever.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

mr_nool wrote:For me it's:

The league
Champions league
League cup
FA Cup

I priorities the league cup before the FA cup simply because we're only one round from a trip to Wembley.

I would play a very young/weakened team on Saturday, just hoping for the best. Likewise on Tuesday, since we have a chance to redeem ourselves if we fuck up. I want as strong a team possible against Liverpool.

Good call, but I would put League Cup before CL as we don't need to worry about CL till mid Feb, could be in the LC final by then.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm

The PL is all but won. At the start of the season that would have been number one prority.

Next on the list are the three cup competitions. The CL would naturally take priority here. Whether the LC or the FA cup is the next priority probably comes down to the individual fixtures of whom we are playing and when.

We are in the semi finals of the LC with lower league opposition the only obstacle to a Wembley final. As such, surely this competition takes priority over the FA cup?

Thats not to say we disregard the FA cup fixture this weekend. As mentioned, the PL is all but in the bag barring an unheard of collapse. The next fixture is away at the dippers. I'd argue to go full strength in the cup on Saturday and the first leg of the semi. If a weakened team is to be played then surely its in a competition we are already miles in front?
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

nottsblue wrote:The PL is all but won. At the start of the season that would have been number one prority.

If a weakened team is to be played then surely its in a competition we are already miles in front?

Dare to dream. Ederson's penalty save against Palace was one of my favourite moments of the season. We'll probably lose a game in the league but I'd be gutted if we went meekly.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby john68 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

1) The League...with such a huge gap at present, we have a bit of slip up room if it becomes necessary.
2) The Champions League...Not just because nominally, it makes us the best team in Europe but because to win it would mean we have beaten the system, overcome the FFP, the dodgy draws and the other obstacles they have thrown at us. Holding that trophy aloft would be a massive two fingers at the old G14.
3) The FA Cup...Probably an age thing, but for me, the FA Cup is still that old football trophy, with a romantic history. Bert Trautmann's broken neck, Roy Clarke's 1955 quote of; "We'll be back next year to win it"...and we were. I still think the FA Cup is special.
4) The League Cup...Always was and still is a a very junior partner to the other trophies. Never one to light the fires. Useful to win because it's early in the season and outof the way before the pointy ends of the other comps.

\My hope is that we can land the League Cup and have such a sizeable lead in the table that in reality, when the going gets tough, we only really have to worry about the FA Cup and the CL....then a long rest before the Community Shield and the iconic team picture of City with 5 trophies, all at the same time.

(Maybe followed by pictures of a broken down, weeping Maureen boarding a bus at Trafford Bar with a suitcase in one hand and his P45 in the other, making his way to his visit his shrink, whispering under his manic breath; "I fucking hate Guardiola and City, they have stolen all my glory and humiliated me forever".
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
nottsblue wrote:The PL is all but won. At the start of the season that would have been number one prority.

If a weakened team is to be played then surely its in a competition we are already miles in front?

Dare to dream. Ederson's penalty save against Palace was one of my favourite moments of the season. We'll probably lose a game in the league but I'd be gutted if we went meekly.

I know what you mean but I'd rather have an extra pot on the sideboard than put a lot of focus on remaining unbeaten in the PL. I know it isn't a like for like comparison, but the further we go in the CL, the tougher the fixtures will become in the PL. Rotation in March and April will be key. Assuming we go deep in the FA cup as well and the dream of staying unbeaten will very likely remain a dream. I would rather have the LC on the sideboard, still have a considerable lead in the PL and be in the CL quarters and FA cup come March. If we have lost in the PL then so be it.

If we have 2 or 3 pots on the sideboard come May then that's what will be remembered. Especially if we have won the PL with a few records into the bargain
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:46 pm

john68 wrote:1) The League...with such a huge gap at present, we have a bit of slip up room if it becomes necessary.
2) The Champions League...Not just because nominally, it makes us the best team in Europe but because to win it would mean we have beaten the system, overcome the FFP, the dodgy draws and the other obstacles they have thrown at us. Holding that trophy aloft would be a massive two fingers at the old G14.
3) The FA Cup...Probably an age thing, but for me, the FA Cup is still that old football trophy, with a romantic history. Bert Trautmann's broken neck, Roy Clarke's 1955 quote of; "We'll be back next year to win it"...and we were. I still think the FA Cup is special.
4) The League Cup...Always was and still is a a very junior partner to the other trophies. Never one to light the fires. Useful to win because it's early in the season and outof the way before the pointy ends of the other comps.

\My hope is that we can land the League Cup and have such a sizeable lead in the table that in reality, when the going gets tough, we only really have to worry about the FA Cup and the CL....then a long rest before the Community Shield and the iconic team picture of City with 5 trophies, all at the same time.

(Maybe followed by pictures of a broken down, weeping Maureen boarding a bus at Trafford Bar with a suitcase in one hand and his P45 in the other, making his way to his visit his shrink, whispering under his manic breath; "I fucking hate Guardiola and City, they have stolen all my glory and humiliated me forever".

I think Pep wants to go big time this year.
Did anyone ever managed the local treble: League, League Cup, FA in the same season?

Imho, I think he is going after exactly that, wants the UCL also, but he is not prepared to sacrifice any trophy and we might see him go full gear versus Burnley.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:47 pm

If – and that's a huge fucking if – we do collapse, I can only see two teams that are capable of putting together a run strong enough to come close to us: Chelsea and Liverpool. Beating the Scousers would more or less kill them off, which is why I want us full strength for that game.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Sod all these crazy permutations. Injuries can happen when you least expect them . Just aim to win the next game. What ever it takes, the rest will fall into place.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 pm

zuricity wrote:Sod all these crazy permutations. Injuries can happen when you least expect them . Just aim to win the next game.What ever it takes, the rest will fall into place.

this
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby City64 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Pep knows best !
A couple of nice home fixtures v Newcastle & WBA after the dipper game at Anfield gives us more breathing space in the PL . You can never second guess what team Pep will put out as last night proved , he will go strong with home advantage on Saturday in the FA Cup v Burnley and then go all out on Tuesday v Bristol City to kill the tie in the 1st leg . Regards the CL this season is possibly our best chance of actually getting to the final and with us coasting the PL this gives us and Pep the greatest chance of going all out for it .................... things are looking pretty decent to be fair

Im am giddy as fuck , quite an exceptional few months ahead it must be said ! 8-) 8-) :)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm

If anyone has read the first pep book about his first season at Bayern, one of his biggest regrets was relaxing when the league was sewn up as the lethargy crept into the cl and cup comps and they played shit from then on. I honestly think he’s gonna go hard at everything rotating when he has to.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 pm

mr_nool wrote:If – and that's a huge fucking if – we do collapse, I can only see two teams that are capable of putting together a run strong enough to come close to us: Chelsea and Liverpool. Beating the Scousers would more or less kill them off, which is why I want us full strength for that game.

I agree. Beat Liverpool and I think that is all resistance gone.
We’ll beat Chelsea at home. We’ll hammer United at home.
As long as we stop the nearest contenders from taking points from us it won’t matter if we have a hiccup against any of the rest.

Just don’t lose against the Scouse.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:26 pm

The League obviously.
Then I'd rather we won the FA cup than the Champion's League - I really despise the competition and it's organisers - it has nothing to do with football other than using it as a tool to make money through sponsorship (or more accurately it has nothing to do with the fans who follow football). UEFA would probably be perfectly happy to completely eliminate fans altogether just as long as they could still sell their share of corporate hospitality tickets to make a little money on the side.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Wooders » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Bollocks to the domestic cups - the glory is in the league and champions league titles

We have a good enough squad with an interesting mix of second tier senior players and talented youngsters we can use in the cups, I actually like to see what we’ve got in the locker in cup games.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum