Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:18 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
zuricity wrote:Mahrez was a bad buy.
Pep will realise this in October when football really gets going.

I fear you may be right.
He’s not a bad player, but looks like a bad fit at the moment.

Hope he comes good as the money spent could have been better used on a Fern replacement.

I don't think Mahrez had anything to with us not buying cover for Fern; the money was there for Jorghino, but he preferred the West End theatres by all accounts.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zuricity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
zuricity wrote:Mahrez was a bad buy.
Pep will realise this in October when football really gets going.

I fear you may be right.
He’s not a bad player, but looks like a bad fit at the moment.

Hope he comes good as the money spent could have been better used on a Fern replacement.

I don't think Mahrez had anything to with us not buying cover for Fern; the money was there for Jorghino, but he preferred the West End theatres by all accounts.

Can you imagine the shit he would get from our Brasilians because he became Italian ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PrezIke » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm

He was actually decent last night and provided a ball that could have won the game had Sane had a clue about using his head.

The sky is falling again already and he's the latest scape goat.

I'm sorry but he needs time to get a chance to adapt. Love to see him out there when we get KDB back or with Bernardo more in the middle as well with Merlin. We just don't seem to be running well as a team, and that's not really his fault. It's very much coming from centre midfield.

Bernardo did not amaze right away and some were already slagging him off early last season.

Other factors are affecting perception of Mahrez, but when he played in preseason before he was injured he looked like he fit right in. I was at the match vs. Liverpool that was quite competitive and he was one of the best players on the pitch. He injured his ankle and has not played well since.

I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, but it's too early to say he's a poor signing. His ability to score, particularly from an area of the pitch where we muffed many chances last season was a big reason we signed him up.

This does not mean one cannot criticise his performances. I have, but the impatience is rather striking from some of us for a player who has done very well in the PL and could really help us after he adapts.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Season just started for the lad. 2nd goal was tidy, plus the players clearly like him judging by the celebrations. Great to see.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PrezIke » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:42 am

Starting to show he fits in this team.

I had faith he would come good, and glad to see it beginning to transpire.

Yes, more time and games are needed, but he is a class player that is showing he can really have an impact on games.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:29 am

He's a good cog to have in the wheel at the moment.

Last season he was fuckin awful and it was nothing to do with "giving him time to settle". He was overplaying most attacks and being greedy.

Now he's come round to how we play he looks good.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 am

Mase wrote:He's a good cog to have in the wheel at the moment.

Last season he was fuckin awful and it was nothing to do with "giving him time to settle". He was overplaying most attacks and being greedy.

Is that not exactly the reason for giving him time to settle. Last season he was overplaying and being greedy because he was trying to impress immediately and the reason he has come round to the way we play is because he has had time to settle and learn Pep's methods, which are apparently completely different to what players are used too. This was evident with every player in the squad in Pep's 1st season and then Bernardo's 1st season.

I think Mahrez will be a major player for us this season. He had a long summer so is probably a bit behind the others but will be flying around Christmas time and after
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:48 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Mase wrote:He's a good cog to have in the wheel at the moment.

Is that not exactly the reason for giving him time to settle. Last season he was overplaying and being greedy because he was trying to impress immediately and the reason he has come round to the way we play is because he has had time to settle and learn Pep's methods, which are apparently completely different to what players are used too. This was evident with every player in the squad in Pep's 1st season and then Bernardo's 1st season.

I think Mahrez will be a major player for us this season. He had a long summer so is probably a bit behind the others but will be flying around Christmas time and after

Being greedy isn't a reason to give him time to settle no. Bernardo wasn't a greedy cunt when he came in - he just adapted to how Pep wants his team to play.

Mad that you think Bernardo was a greedy twat :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum