Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 am

Scatman wrote:Sign him, whatever the cost. If he turns out shit, loan him somewhere for free and pay his wages or sell him for next to nothing.

It's a tried and tested method. What can go wrong?

pmsl
i don't like this deal.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 am

Surely this is not a panic buy solely because of Sane's injury, if it is, then you would really have to question our strategy.

Mahrez was probably a summer target, but a few things have changed and we have simply moved the transfer up to January.

Could it be possible that Pep sees Mahrez as a replacement for D. Silva in the midfield 3. He closes down well, he is not the type to sit out on the wing for long periods of the game, he tends to drift inside and gets involved in play, he has excellent close control, he has a quick mind that works well in confined spaces and he can beat players with the drop of a shoulder.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am

mr_nool wrote:Mahrez or not, we will have to change our tactical set-up drastically during Sané's absence. mahrez is not a like-for-like replacement, and with Mendy still out as well, we have now pace at all on the left.

Maybe Pep will go back to a back 3 again, now that Laporte is on board, but I still don't see an ideal fit for the left wing in that case.

With both Sané and Mendy out, we have too many players for the left side who are conditioned to drift to the centre. I can only think of Sterling who reliably holds shape if needed. I don't think Mahrez will address that and I also think he is too similar to Bernardo, who has been doing quite well in the last couple of games.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby sheblue » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am

Can't see it happening. It would cost too much.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

sheblue wrote:Can't see it happening. It would cost too much.

Question is how good Txiki is at playing poker. Not very on previous evidence but do Leicester want a Mr Grumpy etc, devaluing week by week?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am

If we wanted him not sure why we didn’t use Nacho in the summer as a bargaining tool.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:20 am

Mase wrote:If we wanted him not sure why we didn’t use Nacho in the summer as a bargaining tool.

Fuck me, Mase, you might have something there. I think the club will use that, who the fuck knows what clauses and add-ons that transfer had.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am

john@staustell wrote:

Question is how good Txiki is at playing poker. Not very on previous evidence but do Leicester want a Mr Grumpy etc, devaluing week by week?

Mahrez didn't seem to let his performances suffer much, after failing to get a summer transfer away, unlike Sanchez. It's a gamble for Leicester if this will be the case after a second disappointment.

There was a rumour he was told he could go if the buying club stumped up the right money. Maybe Mahrez has been trying extra hard, to convince a CL club to invest in him.

Would about £70m be the right amount? It sits about halfway between our £50m+ and their reported asking price of £90m+.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:If we wanted him not sure why we didn’t use Nacho in the summer as a bargaining tool.

Fuck me, Mase, you might have something there. I think the club will use that, who the fuck knows what clauses and add-ons that transfer had.

Potentially say we’ll scrap the sell on clause in Nacho’s contract if they accept £55 million. It’s a risk as Nacho may turn out to be class but I have my doubts.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Mahrez didn't seem to let his performances suffer much, after failing to get a summer transfer away, unlike Sanchez. It's a gamble for Leicester if this will be the case after a second disappointment.

There was a rumour he was told he could go if the buying club stumped up the right money. Maybe Mahrez has been trying extra hard, to convince a CL club to invest in him.

Would about £70m be the right amount? It sits about halfway between our £50m+ and their reported asking price of £90m+.

In todays crazy market, £50mill is about right and probably even slightly over what Mahrez is worth. He is a good player but not world class and probably never will be (unless Pep can totally change him around). Just because Leicester throw out a stupid price does not mean we have to use it as a benchmark for any reason. If we pay one cent over £60mill then we are idiots
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:14 pm

To be honest I think he is exactly the sort of player for our style - breaking through those packed defences. Much more than Leicester
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 pm

would rather pay fulham over the odds for sessegnon
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm

.....but I don't think it will come off
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

I think Mahrez looked world class when Leicester won the PL. He was the PoTY in the PL. Just like KDB will be this year.

His form dipped last season but he has been superb in some of his performances this season, I watched him against Chelsea and he tore them apart. I think Pep would love to get him and there's every possibility Pep will bring the very best out of him.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Blue Noodle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:would rather pay fulham over the odds for sessegnon

Me too. 17, bags of ability and potential. Can play anywhere on the left. Think he has 12+ goals from left back this season. An incredible return. However, i think someone else on here pointed out that we are currently banned from signing anyone under 18 in England. So........☹

Not bothered either way on Mahrez.
Blue Noodle
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

In todays crazy market, £50mill is about right and probably even slightly over what Mahrez is worth. He is a good player but not world class and probably never will be (unless Pep can totally change him around). Just because Leicester throw out a stupid price does not mean we have to use it as a benchmark for any reason. If we pay one cent over £60mill then we are idiots

I'm not sure how you calculate these figures, but in a market where Coutinho goes for 140m and virtually all of our defenders cost around 50m, Leicester are entitled o hold out for 80-ish imo. He's very good and crucial to their attacking play. Pus, it's deadline day in January.

Not arsed about the money, but slightly confused about our recruiting strategy. I rate Mahrez, but I thought deadline day bids and impulse buys were a thing of the past.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby bluemoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:45 pm

fangsanalsatan wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

I'm not sure how you calculate these figures, but in a market where Coutinho goes for 140m and virtually all of our defenders cost around 50m, Leicester are entitled o hold out for 80-ish imo. He's very good and crucial to their attacking play. Pus, it's deadline day in January.

Not arsed about the money, but slightly confused about our recruiting strategy. I rate Mahrez, but I thought deadline day bids and impulse buys were a thing of the past.

So did I, but guessing these last minute deals are due to potential FFP 2.0 etc? TBH trying to get him now, may not be the worst decision in the world, I have a feeling costs are only going to go p come the summer.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:45 pm

I'd be very surprised if all of this wasn't more connected to the Sanchez saga than the Sane injury.

Knowing Mahrez was achievable, much less wages, younger and performing better this season might have turned our heads. The Sane injury puts more meat on it of course, but like most of these deadline deals, whether they happen or not, have been agreed long before and done to help deal with the backlash from fans.
Original Dub

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:59 pm

We have to sign him my RAG brother rates him, his words add him and Fred and it will be over for years
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm

the dark dark side of this business is him

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal