Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Chopper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Have to agree with Carl here, 222million in net losses in the transfer market. I’m sure the “projected wage bill” argument will come up. But losing that much cash is baffling to me. Doesn’t seem sustainable.
Chopper
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Chopper wrote:Have to agree with Carl here, 222million in net losses in the transfer market. I’m sure the “projected wage bill” argument will come up. But losing that much cash is baffling to me. Doesn’t seem sustainable.

Perhaps we should take Spurs, Liverpool or Arsenal model of selling our star players, then we'd be fucking brilliant at selling.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Loved this little snippet

Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby aaron bond » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Mase wrote:
phips wrote:
carolina-blue wrote:
phips wrote:
carolina-blue wrote:Leciester letting players go left and right but not our target greedy Cnuts

as they (and every other selling club) should be doing

Not when you end up with a pissed off player
Who you only paid 2 bob and a pkt of crisps for
65 mill was more than a fair offer . That’s just out and out greed .

in an era where the transfer prices have skyrocketed every club should be holding out for as high of a sum as they can get, while still in the realm of being realistic.

given how much Coutinho just went for i can easily see how Leicester wanted 95M for Mahrez (even if i dont agree with the valuation). plus, big-spending Man City were involved. of course they should try to get as much money out of us as they can. that's why it was so important to step away from the Mahrez and Sanchez deals; it shows other clubs that even though we've got the money we wont be pushed around and "forced" into overpaying.

and if Mahrez isnt happy that isn't Leicester's problem. he can sit and whine and rot for the remainder of his deal.

The reason Coutinho went for as much as he did is because Barca had just been given £100+ million for Neymar. Otherwise they wouldn’t have paid that much for Coutinho.

We haven’t been given nearly £100 million for anyone. So not sure why Leicester feel we’re able to pay that much for him.

The market has moved significantly so Leicester expect Mahrez's fee to be much higher. I think we were right to bid 50-60m but unfortunately PSG, Barca and United have changed the market so much.

Neymar at 200m. Barca spending a fortune on Dembele and Coutinho. Coutinho probably wasn't even one of the top 10 players in the Premier League yet went for an extortionate fee. Lukaku going for 90m, then Liverpool paying 75m for Van Dijk.

I hope the market cools and fees become slightly more reasonable but I understand why Leicester thought they could try and push for 90-100m. But with Mahrez clearly wanting to leave they may have just missed their best chance to command a significant fee for him.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Any thoughts on the supposed mystery player we chucked in our offer?
I guess Mangala??
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Mase » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Wooders wrote:Any thoughts on the supposed mystery player we chucked in our offer?
I guess Mangala??

We didn’t. Leicester asked us about a cash plus player deal. We never offered one.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Mase wrote:
Wooders wrote:Any thoughts on the supposed mystery player we chucked in our offer?
I guess Mangala??

We didn’t. Leicester asked us about a cash plus player deal. We never offered one.

Err ok - whoever it was we apparently valued them at 15 million and we’re up for it - so I’ll ask again, any thoughts as to which player?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Chopper wrote:Have to agree with Carl here, 222million in net losses in the transfer market. I’m sure the “projected wage bill” argument will come up. But losing that much cash is baffling to me. Doesn’t seem sustainable.

Perhaps we should take Spurs, Liverpool or Arsenal model of selling our star players, then we'd be fucking brilliant at selling.

Beat me to it FIBD.
It is true we have bought in players that we have made losses on but so have other clubs.
the truth is we have several players in our squad now that if we chose to sell, we would make a considerable profit on, but we are not a selling club.
We keep our prized assets.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby fangsanalsatan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Wooders wrote:
Mase wrote:
I guess Mangala??

Err ok - whoever it was we apparently valued them at 15 million and we’re up for it - so I’ll ask again, any thoughts as to which player?

Paddy Roberts.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah? Isn’t he on loan for the rest of the season at Celtic and didn’t he cost, like, 18?
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Wooders wrote:
Mase wrote:
I guess Mangala??

“Leicester proposed a player-plus-cash deal, but Manchester City were not willing to spend more than £60m.“
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm

And what is that from?
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Wooders wrote:And what is that from?

BBC and every other media outlet.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Mase wrote:

EXCEPT the Leicester Mercury - who have the inside scoop! But haven’t named the player
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:06 pm

City have said we didn't make a bid. We asked his price and Lester said whatever they said. Mahrez is now seriously fucked off so job 's a good 'un.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Wooders wrote:
Mase wrote:

EXCEPT the Leicester Mercury - who have the inside scoop! But haven’t named the player

they said Sterling actually
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby phips » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 am

aaron bond wrote:
Mase wrote:
phips wrote:in an era where the transfer prices have skyrocketed every club should be holding out for as high of a sum as they can get, while still in the realm of being realistic.

given how much Coutinho just went for i can easily see how Leicester wanted 95M for Mahrez (even if i dont agree with the valuation). plus, big-spending Man City were involved. of course they should try to get as much money out of us as they can. that's why it was so important to step away from the Mahrez and Sanchez deals; it shows other clubs that even though we've got the money we wont be pushed around and "forced" into overpaying.

and if Mahrez isnt happy that isn't Leicester's problem. he can sit and whine and rot for the remainder of his deal.

The reason Coutinho went for as much as he did is because Barca had just been given £100+ million for Neymar. Otherwise they wouldn’t have paid that much for Coutinho.

We haven’t been given nearly £100 million for anyone. So not sure why Leicester feel we’re able to pay that much for him.

The market has moved significantly so Leicester expect Mahrez's fee to be much higher. I think we were right to bid 50-60m but unfortunately PSG, Barca and United have changed the market so much.

Neymar at 200m. Barca spending a fortune on Dembele and Coutinho. Coutinho probably wasn't even one of the top 10 players in the Premier League yet went for an extortionate fee. Lukaku going for 90m, then Liverpool paying 75m for Van Dijk.

I hope the market cools and fees become slightly more reasonable but I understand why Leicester thought they could try and push for 90-100m. But with Mahrez clearly wanting to leave they may have just missed their best chance to command a significant fee for him.

agree AB.

Mase, Mahrez isnt worth that much. but in a market where all of the so-called "great" players that have moved recently have all gone for absurd money in the last 2 windows. i dont blame Leicester at all.

Neymar, Mbappe, Dembele, Coutinho. Aubameyang really should've gone for more and wouldve last summer.
no way is Mahrez as good as any of those but they set the market.

not to mention good butn ot great VVD goes for that absurd sum.
one could argue that all of those (except Auba) are a direct result of the one Neymar fee so no one should expect those fees for anyone else.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 am

Wooders wrote:
Mase wrote:
I guess Mangala??

Who said we were up for it?

Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Chinners » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 am

Mahrez has not turned up for training again today ... bad apple well dodged!
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Chinners wrote:Mahrez has not turned up for training again today ... bad apple well dodged!

He's probably trying to let Leicester know he doesn't want to be stuck there after summer.

Apparently there was a "gentleman's agreement" that he would be allowed to leave if a fair valuation came in. After a number of transfer windows, and what he sees as a fair offer, they won't let him leave. He wants to be playing in the CL.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum