Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Dimples » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:52 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Some prat on talkspurt thin morning was suggesting it was City's fault that Mahrez is having his strop.

Same idiot said in relation to Deeney's finger gesture that it would be a Bad Thing if players are penalised for doing things in the heat of the moment. Like, er, homicide? "Oh, that's OK officer, it was just done in the heat of the moment."

The biggest danger to our society comes, I believe, from our irresponsible media.

I heard that. If Mshrez ends up with us he will get the boo treatment wherever we go, like Razza. It's all down to the press. Virgil VD refused to go to the pre season tour with Southampton and John Aldridge encouraged his strike action, and yet there is no booing for him and no negative press.

That is Aldridge in a nutshell.
If VVD throws his toys out of the pram because he wants to join 'pool' - that is understandable, perfectly reasonable behavior.
But hey if anybody wants to leave his beloved 'pool' - greedy, gruppy, mercenary, traitors.

Sad thing is he cannot see the irony.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Mase » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Funny though because VVD is fuckin shite!! They’ve been dry bummed.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby aaron bond » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 am

Good article from Martin Samuel on the Mahrez situation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... assle.html

Guardiola will sum up that Mahrez is not worth all the hassle

How ironic if the man who denies Riyad Mahrez his dream move to an elite club was not an executive or club owner, but the player himself.

The word from Manchester is that Pep Guardiola is going cold on Mahrez having witnessed how he has reacted to not getting his way on transfer deadline day.

Mahrez has not played for Leicester since, missing two games and soon a third, against Manchester City.

Playing would perhaps have afforded Mahrez the opportunity to cement a move in the summer, when there will be considerably more options on the market for Guardiola.

A game like he had last year when he helped inspire a 4-2 Leicester victory, or the year before when he scored one and made another at the Etihad as Leicester won 3-1, might have convinced Guardiola that he need look no further — or to come closer to Leicester's exorbitant valuation.

Instead, Mahrez's absence from the team sheet will leave another impression: that of a high maintenance, selfish individual who signed a contract, wants to end that contract prematurely and, finding he cannot, abandons his club and his team-mates.

Unsurprisingly, Guardiola is wondering whether such a character is worth the hassle, or upwards of £60million.

And his instincts would be right: he's not. On his day, Mahrez is one of the finest players in the Premier League, but those days do not come around as often as they should.

He was outstanding for Leicester at Chelsea last month, but some weeks, some months, some years almost, can go missing. Mahrez was brilliant the season Leicester won the title in 2015-16, then disappeared for much of the next campaign as Claudio Ranieri was sacked. Since, he has been inconsistent at best.

He scored a single goal between March 18 and October 16 last year and his present exile, and very public agitations to leave, will do little to endear him to potential suitors.

Elite players face challenges and disappointments, too, and it is to be hoped handle them without withdrawing from professional life.

Mahrez, it is claimed, is depressed at remaining a Leicester player. Depression is a real and serious condition and if Mahrez is suffering mental issues, he deserves sympathy and support.

Cynics, however, are understandably suspicious. The Professional Footballers' Association have offered to mediate, but why a person suffering mental illness would require the assistance of a union not a therapist is a mystery.

Transfer windows have a tendency to leave a residue of depressed footballers, unable to play for their clubs. Happily, a cure has been found: just give them exactly what they want and they cheer up.

Yet, even if Mahrez's mood is taken at face value, it can hardly be dismissed as irrelevant by Guardiola.
Life isn't perfect for players, even at Manchester City. There can be injury, failure, loss of form and, certainly at a club with City's squad depth, a place in the first-team cannot be guaranteed.

Guardiola needs players who can ride that, who can stay strong and surmount obstacles without requiring indulgence. Does Mahrez look like that sort now? If he is mentally fragile then, for all his talent, £60m would be a gamble.

With every day he stays away from Leicester, Mahrez appears less and less like an elite player and more like one who has found his level. He is worth the trouble at Leicester because they could not find an equivalent talent for the money — but City?

In the summer, there will be plenty of good players available for Mahrez's price, players that possess great talent, players that have remained consistent, that have never walked out on their club or team-mates, players that bring little but harmony to the dressing room.

Who is the prima donna in the current Manchester City side? There isn't one. That reveals the type Guardiola prefers; the type all managers like, really.
By turning his back on Leicester, Mahrez may find there isn't only one door closed on his return.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 am

From his point of view, if he wants out, and he clearly does, he probably feels to just carry on playing, with no objection to the apparent breaking of a verbal agreement, would just lead to more of the same in the next transfer window.

He wants to show his unhappiness sufficiently to make the LC decision makers honour their verbal agreement with him.

Pep seems very honourable in his outlook, and it may impact his chances of joining us, if he is absent for too long.

I would imagine the Portuguese Eye Gouger would have no such qualms, perhaps encouraging him to continue staying out for the remainder of the season, if it meant being able to buy him in summer, with no competition from us.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john@staustell » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am

Plain Speaking wrote:
I would imagine the Portuguese Eye Gouger would have no such qualms, perhaps encouraging him to continue staying out for the remainder of the season, if it meant being able to buy him in summer, with no competition from us.

My thoughts this very morning. Nailed on, at double the wages.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 am

Reports he's back training at Leicester this morning, and available for the game tomorrow?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am

Plain Speaking wrote:Reports he's back training at Leicester this morning, and available for the game tomorrow?

Yes, he's probably pissed off we have dropped our interest and wants to show how good he is
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby PrezIke » Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 pm

This guy is the most clinical finisher of the winger/forwards we've been linked to that won't cost an outrageous fee, which is exactly what we need. His vision and passing is also really up there.

I know he agitated for a move and that doesn't go over well with some, but reality is he stayed around when he could have left 2 seasons ago. His level this season is much closer to what we saw the year he won PFA player of the year.

He would fit in very nicely and it is increasingly coming across to me that Pep won't sign a real no. 9 to accommodate Kun and Jesus. When Kun goes, we'll go there.

Hazard is better, sure, but chance of getting him seems very very low and Dybala also seems unlikely.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 pm

According to other place he's our new number 26. Signed just now,
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby CTID Hants » Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Image

According to other place he's our new number 26. Signed just now,

LOL you're like a kid in a sweet shop JC, bless yah.

Personally unless it's on OS, BBC or other reputable site/source it hasn't happened, never will I believe Owt from BM

I was indifferent in January on this one and now I'm heading toward not tossed at all....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby sheblue » Wed May 30, 2018 7:50 pm

I for one would absolutely love to see.....
1 - Mahrez in a good team, and 2 - What pep could do with him.
Very interesting indeed.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Has Tolmie spoken?

Yep, it's that time of year again...
Original Dub

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu May 31, 2018 2:32 am

City64 wrote:Mercenary diva with a shit haircut and all the toys out of the pram . We don't need that overpriced shite at our place do we ? Perfect fit for the rags though , hope they end up paying £100 million for him !

Agree.

Much rather Bernardo got more time. Whose role decreases with Mahrez’s arrival?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu May 31, 2018 4:51 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
City64 wrote:Mercenary diva with a shit haircut and all the toys out of the pram . We don't need that overpriced shite at our place do we ? Perfect fit for the rags though , hope they end up paying £100 million for him !

Agree.

Yeah what a bunch of idiots run our club. Who knows why we put up with them. Come back Psycho
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 am

CTID Hants wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:According to other place he's our new number 26. Signed just now,

Personally unless it's on OS, BBC or other reputable site/source it hasn't happened, never will I believe Owt from BM

It's getting close CTIDH - even the BBC has its fingers in the toffee jar now :D
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44312760
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby CTID Hants » Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:According to other place he's our new number 26. Signed just now,

It's getting close CTIDH - even the BBC has its fingers in the toffee jar now :D
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44312760

Ha Ha JC, was just coming o here to check that you updated everyone now that the BBC are running with us to land Mahrez and Jorginho imminently, don't forget to pop "Welcome" on the Jorginho thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:

Agree.

Silva's, most likely.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Agree.

Silva's, most likely.

Sniff sniff
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Agree.

Silva's, most likely.

Sniff sniff

Rumbled.

Guardiola: “Next season, David maybe will not play every game, that’s why the squad has to be big. "
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu May 31, 2018 5:59 pm

Klopp in for ZZ
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum