Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Postby Original Dub » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Sterling did look bolloxed tbf, not surprising given he was carrying the team in the first half.

I agree. Sterling ran himself into the ground.

It's a pity that perfect ball from mahrez fell to sane. That should should have been our equalizer.

He's done nothing else so far but I'm hardly going to write him off now.
Original Dub

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:02 am

Original Dub wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Sterling did look bolloxed tbf, not surprising given he was carrying the team in the first half.

I agree. Sterling ran himself into the ground.

It's a pity that perfect ball from mahrez fell to sane. That should should have been our equalizer.

He's done nothing else so far but I'm hardly going to write him off now.

Yep, that header lacked conviction, much like the majority of our efforts on goal last night.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am

Mahrez and Sane need to be given a run of games. I think if both of them got 6 games on the bounce, we would have a clinical front 3, which we have never had
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Elvistheblue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:36 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:Mahrez and Sane need to be given a run of games. I think if both of them got 6 games on the bounce, we would have a clinical front 3, which we have never had

We have never had a clinical front 3? We score 100 goals in the Premier League, but we don't have a clinical front 3. I need to lie down.
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby Original Dub » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:Mahrez and Sane need to be given a run of games. I think if both of them got 6 games on the bounce, we would have a clinical front 3, which we have never had

We have never had a clinical front 3? We score 100 goals in the Premier League, but we don't have a clinical front 3. I need to lie down.

Yes indeed. The most prolific front 3 in Europe last season I think.

Strange
Original Dub

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:

i would class a clinical front 3 as a set of players who get 1 clear cut chance and bury the ball, we dont do that. We need 4 or 5 chances to score a goal. We regularly put ourselves under pressure in games by not having converted the chances we should have - Sterling the biggest culprit closely followed by Jesus.

Its OK in about 30 of the games we play in the PL as the opposition just set up to contain us and we get chance after chance and eventually score. However in the CL, we dont always get that luxury.

Take last night in around the 10th minute, Sterling done well to break into the box and if he got his head up Gundogan was completely free on about the penalty spot. Sterling never got his head up and took on a shot into the side netting. Sterling had the beating of his man and with silva on that side with him, we put everything through him but he wasn't clinical enough.

Sure we could go out and win the next 2 games 5-0 and the stats will show that we have scored 11 goals in 3 games which looks good but doesnt mean we are clinical.

This is getting of topic and my original point was that if Mahrez is giving a run of 6 games, i think he will settle into his role and confidence and responsibility will grow and he will be a more clinical member of our front 3
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:50 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

i would class a clinical front 3 as a set of players who get 1 clear cut chance and bury the ball, we dont do that. We need 4 or 5 chances to score a goal. We regularly put ourselves under pressure in games by not having converted the chances we should have - Sterling the biggest culprit closely followed by Jesus.

Its OK in about 30 of the games we play in the PL as the opposition just set up to contain us and we get chance after chance and eventually score. However in the CL, we dont always get that luxury.

Take last night in around the 10th minute, Sterling done well to break into the box and if he got his head up Gundogan was completely free on about the penalty spot. Sterling never got his head up and took on a shot into the side netting. Sterling had the beating of his man and with silva on that side with him, we put everything through him but he wasn't clinical enough.

Sure we could go out and win the next 2 games 5-0 and the stats will show that we have scored 11 goals in 3 games which looks good but doesnt mean we are clinical.

This is getting of topic and my original point was that if Mahrez is giving a run of 6 games, i think he will settle into his role and confidence and responsibility will grow and he will be a more clinical member of our front 3

That the one where he should've had a corner? He was trying to square it to Jesus at the near post.

As for your clinical front three, it doesn't exist, all teams miss chances, we are better than most at converting them.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:51 pm

If you need to bury the one chance you get to be a clinical finisher then we might as well all give up. Kun is accepted as a master finisher and may score what.1 out of 3! He had 2 decent chances last night and didn't score either.

City as a goalscoring team is all about the team and not just individual " clinical finishers" even though Kun is pretty tasty. It's team play , quality movement , creating loads of chances and scoring " enough"
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:

already been decided that this isn't an issue by some very wise posters on here...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:If you need to bury the one chance you get to be a clinical finisher then we might as well all give up. Kun is accepted as a master finisher and may score what.1 out of 3! He had 2 decent chances last night and didn't score either.

City as a goalscoring team is all about the team and not just individual " clinical finishers" even though Kun is pretty tasty. It's team play , quality movement , creating loads of chances and scoring " enough"

Sergio is not the finisher he was a few years ago but he is double and trebled marked in some games.

Pep even said it himself in the Amazon doc. during a match he turned back to the dugout and said something like "every game we need 4 good chances before we score".

Point being, we are creating loads of opportunities to score, not always scoring and if we give Mahrez a decent run of games, i think he will start banging them in. When watching him at Leicester and he was bearing down on the box, i always got the feeling that he was going to score. He is a quality finisher. I dont have the same feeling of an impending goal with Sterling Jesus and Aguero at the moment. i'm more surprised if they do score.

Mahrez and Sane playing closer to Aguero will free up Augero from the double marking and let Mendy and Walker provide the outside runs on the wings
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

already been decided that this isn't an issue by some very wise posters on here...

Maybe we should trust the words of Pep, who does think it is an issue
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

It can always be imoroved upon, we haven't been clinical so far this season, we were more clinical than anyone in the Premier League last season, the facts speak for themselves.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

It can always be imoroved upon, we haven't been clinical so far this season, we were more clinical than anyone in the Premier League last season, the facts speak for themselves.

Pep thought it was an issue last season
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Elvistheblue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but football isn't like that, and never will be. I don't think anyone can criticise us for not being 'clinical' when we have scored the goals we have. 102 goals last season, this season, we are 6 games into a season. we've scored 15 goals...that isn't really a problem, is it?

Last night, Delph shouldn't have kicked air, and Fern shouldn't have lost the ball in midfield. Had they not done that we would have won 1 nil.....but football isn't as clear cut as all that.

We lose 1 match, and suddenly we aren't this or that. We will lose football matches...it happens.

Back on topic, as for Mahrez, I'm not sure we have the luxury of being able to give him 6 games, to get going....not from what I've seen. He's far from being on form at the moment. That could change with one goal, or one assist....doesn't have to be 6 matches....but at the moment, even 6 matches wouldn't be enough. Ordinary would be a kind description of his performances so far.
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but football isn't like that, and never will be. I don't think anyone can criticise us for not being 'clinical' when we have scored the goals we have. 102 goals last season, this season, we are 6 games into a season. we've scored 15 goals...that isn't really a problem, is it?

Last night, Delph shouldn't have kicked air, and Fern shouldn't have lost the ball in midfield. Had they not done that we would have won 1 nil.....but football isn't as clear cut as all that.

We lose 1 match, and suddenly we aren't this or that. We will lose football matches...it happens.

Back on topic, as for Mahrez, I'm not sure we have the luxury of being able to give him 6 games, to get going....not from what I've seen. He's far from being on form at the moment. That could change with one goal, or one assist....doesn't have to be 6 matches....but at the moment, even 6 matches wouldn't be enough. Ordinary would be a kind description of his performances so far.

PeP has already stated, and been quoted, that hes not happy with the missing chances we have had , he shows that in his demeanor when we miss an easy chance and hes also gone on record to state that he's not happy with all the missed chances...so lets put this one to bed as to whether its not an issue when it clearly bothers our manager.

Secondly , Mahrez , hes no fuckign game changer like a KDB, up to now he's shown us nothing to suggest otherwise.A run of games should not be awarded to any player that's not on form , he has to show it when he comes on as a sub to cement a place in the side.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:15 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

PeP has already stated, and been quoted, that hes not happy with the missing chances we have had , he shows that in his demeanor when we miss an easy chance and hes also gone on record to state that he's not happy with all the missed chances...so lets put this one to bed as to whether its not an issue when it clearly bothers our manager.

Secondly , Mahrez , hes no fuckign game changer like a KDB, up to now he's shown us nothing to suggest otherwise.A run of games should not be awarded to any player that's not on form , he has to show it when he comes on as a sub to cement a place in the side.

We had plenty of chances last night, we just found the keeper all night, As for Mahrez, he is not up-to speed, but who is at it week in week out, we are hot and cold as Pep spoke about a week or so ago we are off the pace after WC .Sane almost turned the game.John Stones looked flat last night, Ferna was over worked for me this great player is getting no younger but he is still covering on his jack the central area. Good luck with that v the dippers.
As for Delph fuck me that kid is honest, he will know he was pony all night the goal came down to a load of mistakes finished of by him with a PANIC/FRESH AIR SLASH AGAIN. They must be dreading the watch back with the coaches some of it was a horror show especially the way we got caught out with counters again the scousers will kill us if we are so off it.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

You've already been warned. What is it you're hoping to achieve?
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Mahrez was a bad buy.
Pep will realise this in October when football really gets going.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

You've already been warned. What is it you're hoping to achieve?

as have you...

anyway, just pointing out that i was laughed at for saying that our lax finishing was going to cost us dearly. most people see it now.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 pm

zuricity wrote:Mahrez was a bad buy.
Pep will realise this in October when football really gets going.

I fear you may be right.
He’s not a bad player, but looks like a bad fit at the moment.

Hope he comes good as the money spent could have been better used on a Fern replacement.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum