Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Postby stevefromdonny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:21 pm

I don't understand why he didn't take the freekick this week and last week, unless kun is on a fair wack for a goal
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 am

Mase wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
Mase wrote:My main issue is he's stopping Foden and Diaz getting game time. And he's playing badly. Foden played in the CS and had a really good, confident game. And that's that. Nothing since. Doesn't convince youngsters that we're worth it.

I hear you.

However, Pep is basically never going to play youngsters alot of minutes in meaningful matches. Not when he has established players.
Its just how it works and thats not specific to Pep

If another other manager had Foden and he played as well as he did against Chelsea do you honestly not think they'd give him a try mate? Pep hasn't once since then.

The problem is Pep has spent £60 million on him and chased him for two windows, so he can't be made to look a fool now.

Foden is going to be fine, frustrated but fine. As a young M.F under Pep he will be a world beater at CITY. Peps no fool ask Silva, Iniesta, Javi.
Guardiola was World class himself in the same area of the pitch so Phil is under the best.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 am

Hazy, my point was that if we've got youngsters eg Foden that have a really good game and fit in great but are then dropped because we've spent £60 million on someone that doesn't deserve to start ahead of them based on performance - then it's not convincing kids to stay is it?

We moan about all the time and effort that we put in the develop these kids in the academy only for them to pie us off when it comes to signing a contract. Can you blame them?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 am

Mase wrote:Hazy, my point was that if we've got youngsters eg Foden that have a really good game and fit in great but are then dropped because we've spent £60 million on someone that doesn't deserve to start ahead of them based on performance - then it's not convincing kids to stay is it?

We moan about all the time and effort that we put in the develop these kids in the academy only for them to pie us off when it comes to signing a contract. Can you blame them?

I accept your wider point regards youth not getting minutes but Foden is not the best example to use.

He's 18 mate, he got around 300 minutes of senior football last season at 17, now if he doesn't at least double that this season then there's an issue but as things stand he's on the right track.

Back to Mahrez, how does he get used to playing this style unless he plays in it?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:45 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:Hazy, my point was that if we've got youngsters eg Foden that have a really good game and fit in great but are then dropped because we've spent £60 million on someone that doesn't deserve to start ahead of them based on performance - then it's not convincing kids to stay is it?

I accept your wider point regards youth not getting minutes but Foden is not the best example to use.

He's 18 mate, he got around 300 minutes of senior football last season at 17, now if he doesn't at least double that this season then there's an issue but as things stand he's on the right track.

Back to Mahrez, how does he get used to playing this style unless he plays in it?

Gradually like Sanè in his first season and Bernard last season in my opinion.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:50 am

Mase wrote:

Agreed, 2 starts from 4 league games would suggest it will be gradual.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:56 am

Mase wrote:

Both Sanè and B. Silva weren't starting ahead of other people in their first few games with us. Other people that were more deserving.

By gradual it would be from the bench.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:02 am

Mase wrote:
Mase wrote:

Both Sanè and B. Silva weren't starting ahead of other people in their first few games with us. Other people that were more deserving.

By gradual it would be from the bench.

Sane was injured in his first season start, Bernardo started 1 from 4 at the beginning of last season, Mahrez has started 2 from 4. Also have to consider that Mahrez had a full preseason, others in his position didn't and whatever is going on with Sane is having an impact here too.

Too early to start drawing conclusions and anyway Mahrez inclusion in the starting team doesn't really impact on Foden.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:17 am

Lets not forget Sane and bernado were new to this league. Mahrez knows his way around so should be more comfortable tbf.

I'm sure he'll settle once peps tactics become invested.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:23 am

Sane was injured in his first season start, Bernardo started 1 from 4 at the beginning of last season, Mahrez has started 2 from 4. Also have to consider that Mahrez had a full preseason, others in his position didn't and whatever is going on with Sane is having an impact here too.

Too early to start drawing conclusions and anyway Mahrez inclusion in the starting team doesn't really impact on Foden.

I don’t think Foden was ever getting on in the last two tight games although I think he is the kind of player we needed around their box. When Bernardo came on he was that player and really made a difference.

I think Mahrez does have an impact on Foden getting on though in general.
If we play Mahrez from the start he has to make an impact right away, otherwise it’s inevitable that he will be subbed off and it will be a senior player that takes his place.
Therefore his current form is impacting on Foden.
If he doesn’t start the likelihood is he will be subbed on. This also impacts on the likelihood of Foden getting a game.

I don’t particularly see a problem in this.
I think they all should fight for a place.
The problem is Foden has impressed more than Mahrez.
Foden at his age is never going to get as much time on the pitch. Mahrez is a seasoned pro. But he currently looks out of his depth. Foden looks comfortable with our football, as he should.

It’s a tough one for Pep. It’s a problem he has all over the pitch at the moment. That’s why he’s paid the big bucks and it’s a nice problem to have if you can keep everyone on board.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:33 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:

I don’t think Foden was ever getting on in the last two tight games although I think he is the kind of player we needed around their box. When Bernardo came on he was that player and really made a difference.

I think Mahrez does have an impact on Foden getting on though in general.
If we play Mahrez from the start he has to make an impact right away, otherwise it’s inevitable that he will be subbed off and it will be a senior player that takes his place.
Therefore his current form is impacting on Foden.
If he doesn’t start the likelihood is he will be subbed on. This also impacts on the likelihood of Foden getting a game.

I don’t particularly see a problem in this.
I think they all should fight for a place.
The problem is Foden has impressed more than Mahrez.
Foden at his age is never going to get as much time on the pitch. Mahrez is a seasoned pro. But he currently looks out of his depth. Foden looks comfortable with our football, as he should.

It’s a tough one for Pep. It’s a problem he has all over the pitch at the moment. That’s why he’s paid the big bucks and it’s a nice problem to have if you can keep everyone on board.

I take your point re impacting on Foden, I worded that badly, I meant he's not vying for the same role/position in the side.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Outcast » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 am

Foden is the future, its too soon to throw him at the deep end. Anyway it's a long season, there will be plenty of games were he'll start and gain expereince. I dont think its a case of talent, our expectations are very high, we are gradually developing him.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:29 am

Outcast wrote:Foden is the future, its too soon to throw him at the deep end. Anyway it's a long season, there will be plenty of games were he'll start and gain expereince. I dont think its a case of talent, our expectations are very high, we are gradually developing him.

I don't agree mate. It wasn't too soon for Rooney at 18.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:39 am

Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:Foden is the future, its too soon to throw him at the deep end. Anyway it's a long season, there will be plenty of games were he'll start and gain expereince. I dont think its a case of talent, our expectations are very high, we are gradually developing him.

don’t forget our own raheem - 36 games for the dippers in the season when he was 17/18.
he is a level above foden imo though
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am

Mase wrote:

And Rooney looked great at that age but stalled (then regressed). Hopefully Phil will progress further if more slowly at the start.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Mase wrote:

And Rooney looked great at that age but stalled (then regressed). Hopefully Phil will progress further if more slowly at the start.

Stalled? I hate the fat prick but come on mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Peps master-plan, I go with Pep sorry Mase, Pep is King and he decides. It does look like a stick to beat Pep with mate just saying.. Phil, Gundo and Sane are in with killers and players are not going to make life easy for any player and a coaching staff that are second to nobody Phill will be fine. Rooney was in a shit Everton set-up s o easier path for a young talent and he is a cunt though spot on. Mahrez is gonna be special IMO.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Outcast » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Mase wrote:

Rooney; Everton? You cant compare our ambition with Everton. We are fighting for the title not top 6. different kind of pressure.
Look, I'm not saying Foden cant make it at this stage, I think we're keen to see our youth come through at any cost, it's been a while since we had one, I feel the fans crave. I'm happy to be patient to see Foden develop into a world class (Potentially) midfielder rather than an average one. If this requires time, so be it.

P.s I don't really rate Rooney as a world class
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Mase wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Mase wrote:

Stalled? I hate the fat prick but come on mate.

He did stall in my opinion. Ferguson turned him into a league goal scoring machine, but he lost that pace and attacking verve that he showed in his first tournament at international level within a couple of years. The next tournament was always going to be his tournament, a bit like the dippers title challenge.

Anyway, back to Mahrez - way to soon to judge, he wants to play for Pep, Pep wanted him, let's see where he is in January.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:

Rooney; Everton? You cant compare our ambition with Everton. We are fighting for the title not top 6. different kind of pressure.
Look, I'm not saying Foden cant make it at this stage, I think we're keen to see our youth come through at any cost, it's been a while since we had one, I feel the fans crave. I'm happy to be patient to see Foden develop into a world class (Potentially) midfielder rather than an average one. If this requires time, so be it.

P.s I don't really rate Rooney as a world class

Barkley is a better comparison or Rodwell, to much to soon or even Wankshire.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum