Welcome Riyad Mahrez.....26

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:42 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Been a very good PL player the last three years. Scored and assisted plenty and was one of the main reasons for Leicesters title triumph. He is two footed, which for a forward/wide man, is a bonus as the defender doesn’t know which way he will go. Scores with both feet, is a good passer and crosser. Rarely gets injured. A lot of positives for the lad. And £60M in this day and age isn’t a huge fee.

Regarding where he will play. I envisage Bernardo Silva playing more centrally, covering for Dave Silva more as I see him as the long term replacement for him. I also can see Sterling playing a few more games centrally as cover for Jesus and Aguero. We are in 4 competitions and it’s a World Cup year so fatigue will rear its ugly head from January onwards next year. The more quality players we have as cover the better. There will be plenty of minutes and game time, there’s no worry about that.

It’s a yes from me


I think it provides good competition for Sane too as Sterling will be freed up to play on the left if Sane isn't producing.

Aye, though I think Foden might do that as well. Sterling on the left isn’t the same player. Mahrez would likely provide the competition to Sane as well
nottsblue
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14489
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby sheblue » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 am

nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Been a very good PL player the last three years. Scored and assisted plenty and was one of the main reasons for Leicesters title triumph. He is two footed, which for a forward/wide man, is a bonus as the defender doesn’t know which way he will go. Scores with both feet, is a good passer and crosser. Rarely gets injured. A lot of positives for the lad. And £60M in this day and age isn’t a huge fee.

Regarding where he will play. I envisage Bernardo Silva playing more centrally, covering for Dave Silva more as I see him as the long term replacement for him. I also can see Sterling playing a few more games centrally as cover for Jesus and Aguero. We are in 4 competitions and it’s a World Cup year so fatigue will rear its ugly head from January onwards next year. The more quality players we have as cover the better. There will be plenty of minutes and game time, there’s no worry about that.

It’s a yes from me


I think it provides good competition for Sane too as Sterling will be freed up to play on the left if Sane isn't producing.

Aye, though I think Foden might do that as well. Sterling on the left isn’t the same player. Mahrez would likely provide the competition to Sane as well


We will have several players who can all rotate into several different positions. We will be much more flexible than last year and with Fern and Dave getting on a bit adding Mahrez and Jorginho makes perfect sense.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:28 pm
Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 am

nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Been a very good PL player the last three years. Scored and assisted plenty and was one of the main reasons for Leicesters title triumph. He is two footed, which for a forward/wide man, is a bonus as the defender doesn’t know which way he will go. Scores with both feet, is a good passer and crosser. Rarely gets injured. A lot of positives for the lad. And £60M in this day and age isn’t a huge fee.

Regarding where he will play. I envisage Bernardo Silva playing more centrally, covering for Dave Silva more as I see him as the long term replacement for him. I also can see Sterling playing a few more games centrally as cover for Jesus and Aguero. We are in 4 competitions and it’s a World Cup year so fatigue will rear its ugly head from January onwards next year. The more quality players we have as cover the better. There will be plenty of minutes and game time, there’s no worry about that.

It’s a yes from me


I think it provides good competition for Sane too as Sterling will be freed up to play on the left if Sane isn't producing.

Aye, though I think Foden might do that as well. Sterling on the left isn’t the same player. Mahrez would likely provide the competition to Sane as well


I think Foden = Silva in the grand scale of things
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
User avatar
john@staustell
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14192
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am
Location: St Austell
Supporter of: City

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:53 am

Is there any proper sauce behind this, other than sky? They had us down as being in advanced talks with Aubemayang at the end of last season, which City denied. I know we are in for Mahrez but I'm not sure a deal has even been agreed yet? This needs a proper sauce pouring over it or its just rumour.
South Stand Balti
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:05 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Is there any proper sauce behind this, other than sky? They had us down as being in advanced talks with Aubemayang at the end of last season, which City denied. I know we are in for Mahrez but I'm not sure a deal has even been agreed yet? This needs a proper sauce pouring over it or its just rumour.


It's in the Daily Star so must be true.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
User avatar
john@staustell
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14192
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am
Location: St Austell
Supporter of: City

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby phips » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 pm

really, really hope the Mirro's reports of him being on 200K/week when he signs arent true. that would be absurd.
i know its not my money and the club can afford it if that's what they actually decided to pay him but thats a ridiculous amount for what should likely be a rotation player. i doubt Bernardo, Sane, Sterling, & Jesus are on those wages.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8329
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: California
Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Burt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 pm

phips wrote:really, really hope the Mirro's reports of him being on 200K/week when he signs arent true. that would be absurd.
i know its not my money and the club can afford it if that's what they actually decided to pay him but thats a ridiculous amount for what should likely be a rotation player. i doubt Bernardo, Sane, Sterling, & Jesus are on those wages.


Simples mate. Don't believe a word the daily rag spout. Rag paper. Always has been!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4949
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Salford

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Where would he fit in?

I like him, but I am trying to figure out where he would start.
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Denis Law's Backheel
 
Posts: 9198
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 pm

PeterParker wrote:Where would he fit in?

I like him, but I am trying to figure out where he would start.


Relax, Pep will convert him to a World Class Centre back or defensive mid or something.
User avatar
Hutch's Shoulder
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3223
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Wild country near Glossop
Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Image
just completed his medical they say
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Not before time it must be said
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
User avatar
john@staustell
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14192
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am
Location: St Austell
Supporter of: City

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby bigblue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Where would he fit in?

I like him, but I am trying to figure out where he would start.


Relax, Pep will convert him to a World Class Centre back or defensive mid or something.


backup for Big Ed surely
User avatar
bigblue
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8601
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Supporter of: Holism
My favourite player is: Bernie

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby PrezIke » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm

PeterParker wrote:Where would he fit in?

I like him, but I am trying to figure out where he would start.


He will compete with Sterling on the right side.

Also expect to see Raheem played centrally more, as he did for us increasingly, as and is now showing good form with England in the same role the last 2 matches.

This is nearly the "same problem" we would have had signing Alexis, and is effectively plan B of the same strategy:

He is a clinical finisher that we very much needed at times who also has all of the abilities that suit our style of play as an attacking player.

I believe Mahrez can fit into almost any of our attacking roles if needs be, and I'd even suggest could get some time as a roaming 8 (similar to Bernardo).

Pep likes "guys" who can play multiple positions, especially in attack where almost everyone other than Kun plays somewhere different at various times of a game, depending on the situation. Mahrez is exactly that type of player.

Quite excited about this, I think more than some of our fans appear to be. I think he will prove his value in this team.
Image
Razza | Boo Bwoy Extrodanaire
User avatar
PrezIke
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5488
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: 'N Why See
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm

done deal
SOLID POSTER
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12798
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Mase » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:done deal


Spurs or City? Can't tell who you mean cause you're both.
Mase
Allison's Big Fat Cigar
 
Posts: 18253
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Mase wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:done deal


Spurs or City? Can't tell who you mean cause you're both.

Welcome

Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Stick him left back for first game of season sorted!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6880
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:49 am
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm

I really don't want to see sterling played in the middle or as third striker. His main issue is the chances he needs.

He is class on the right...

B Silva needs chances centrally
Nick
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6112
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: MANCHESTER

Re: Mahrez.....

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Trust in pep.
Image
london blue 2
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8721
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:32 am
Location: london
Supporter of: MCFC

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aristation, Bear60, Foreverinbluedreams, Google [Bot], Hazy2, Hutch's Shoulder, johnny crossan, london blue 2, Mase, Nigels Tackle, nottsblue, steelsnail, Tony P and 55 guests