NEXT SEASON

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: NEXT SEASON

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 pm

PeterParker wrote:On paper, next season will be Pep's last season, so for me, that should be our first concern

To be honest, I think there is just about 10 % chance of him staying after the summer of 2019, but we have an advantage there, Ferran and Txiki. Them being here, might give us a chance of keeping Guardiola more than the official 3 seasons. We shall see, but I wouldn't get my hope up just yet.

Now, regarding the squad:

Left Back - I think this will depend a lot on how Zinchenko will perform. If he will keep impressing like he did so far, I think we will keep Mendy and Delphinho and Zini as back-ups.
Central back - I might be the only one who thinks Vinnie will stay. Laport's move, weird as it sounds, consolidated his squad role, but his playing time, which is already really low, will become almost minimum
Midfield - Yaya is going and Fred is coming
Forward/At.Mid - Mahrez as a top target, I reckon. But in the case that Leicester refusal annoyed us, we might hear in the next months about someone we had no idea we were targeting.

You might just be right about this PP.

Someone mentioned on here, within the last couple of days, that Stones could be played as a defensive midfielder. If that were to happen, we'd still need another centre back, hence the potential prospect of Vinnie staying.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Now, unless Pep is a complete and utter idiot . Where is he going to go ?

Which club has the financial might to keep making him look good ? Rags ? , they are finished , allowed themselves to get on the Hire Purchase bandwagon.

Chelsea ? Are the schools any better than in Manchester ? Er , i don‘t just think so , i know so.

Barca? na , he burned his bridges there .... but probably the only chance .

No , he has kids going to school. Manchester is great for teenagers , trust me , i was one there!
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 pm

zuricity wrote:Now, unless Pep is a complete and utter idiot . Where is he going to go ?

Which club has the financial might to keep making him look good ? Rags ? , they are finished , allowed themselves to get on the Hire Purchase bandwagon.

Chelsea ? Are the schools any better than in Manchester ? Er , i don‘t just think so , i know so.

No , he has kids going to school. Manchester is great for teenagers , trust me , i was one there!

RCD Espanyol ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Plain Speaking » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:next season will be fucking amazing

gk - promote gunn to be the no.2 no.1
defence - mendy will be like a new signing. bring back maffeo from girona - jury's out on danilo...
midfield - bring in fred and the new yaya from lille who we were linked with in jan
forwards - dybala

Gunn may be a good shout if Bravo want's to move on, or maybe another year on loan to build on his experience. Reserve goalie doesn't get many games and is generally suited to an older keeper content to play less.

Mendy's a great character, but this is his second ACL injury. It's bound to have a big effect on his mentality, and there's a chance he may have an inherent weakness for such injuries. IMO we need 2 top LBs.
Haven't seen enough of Mafeo.
I agree Danillo has not quite cut it.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Next season, should we have any fit players, will be better than this as far as the football goes. We've played the whole season without a recognized left-back, a seriously important position for Pep. We've also struggled with centre halves this season and we are still missing way too many chances. So, room for improvement and I expect to see it. That's not to say that this improvement will translate to trophies, but it will in the football.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 pm

The Maine Man wrote:
PeterParker wrote:On paper, next season will be Pep's last season, so for me, that should be our first concern

To be honest, I think there is just about 10 % chance of him staying after the summer of 2019, but we have an advantage there, Ferran and Txiki. Them being here, might give us a chance of keeping Guardiola more than the official 3 seasons. We shall see, but I wouldn't get my hope up just yet.

Now, regarding the squad:

Left Back - I think this will depend a lot on how Zinchenko will perform. If he will keep impressing like he did so far, I think we will keep Mendy and Delphinho and Zini as back-ups.
Central back - I might be the only one who thinks Vinnie will stay. Laport's move, weird as it sounds, consolidated his squad role, but his playing time, which is already really low, will become almost minimum
Midfield - Yaya is going and Fred is coming
Forward/At.Mid - Mahrez as a top target, I reckon. But in the case that Leicester refusal annoyed us, we might hear in the next months about someone we had no idea we were targeting.

On paper yes, but what bigger challenge could he have? His legacy here could seal his place amongst the immortals.

Pep be here Long Time, as the Thai would say.;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Justified logic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 am

I'd like to see us add Isco now that the boss has dropped RM in it.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:55 am

This season could be not only the greatest season we have had, and maybe the best we will ever see. How about we savour this one rather than worrying too far ahead?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:This season could be not only the greatest season we have had, and maybe the best we will ever see. How about we savour this one rather than worrying too far ahead?

Stop being a miserable git Piccs, We are savouring this season but some of us are also savouring the thought that this season may only be a precurser to even better things.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 am

john68 wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:This season could be not only the greatest season we have had, and maybe the best we will ever see. How about we savour this one rather than worrying too far ahead?

Stop being a miserable git Piccs, We are savouring this season but some of us are also savouring the thought that this season may only be a precurser to even better things.

There's a great Dutch word, voorpret ("for-fun"), which means 'the joy or pleasure ahead and in anticipation of the actual event'.
For me it's usually something I feel ahead of trips - planning where to go, what to see, where and what to eat, etc. - but I think it's also an apt description of looking forward of what might come next season.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby PeterParker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:07 am

zuricity wrote:Now, unless Pep is a complete and utter idiot . Where is he going to go ?

If we win all in the next year and a half, he is going.

Pep is a little loco, so imho, expect the unexpected. Going to a rival, no, retire? Might.

A good friend of mine which is a Barcelona lunatic for over 25 years now, follows everything and knows a lot around, reckons he will either retire or go an coach someone like Qatar or the likes.
Either that, or he will go in France and Italy, win everything there and perform something no one completed so far: win the league in all the big championships in Europe.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby patrickblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 am

My view too.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Fidel Castro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 am

Regarding Pep, hope he stays and it's not out of the question. If he does leave though, wouldn't be that surprised if he took a year out and then rocked up at Girona
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 am

He's not going anywhere while Mou's around ; which means . . . .(sigh) , you could be right !
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum