Substitutes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Substitutes

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 am

So we had six substitutes on the bench yesterday. Three of them senior players and three young ones. And in the event only one of them was brought on.

Are we really that short or is Pep playing a game?
Would it really have hurt to have named another young lad to go on there even if he had no intention of playing him? Thus giving him valuable experience of a match day routine and the huge boost it must give to not only the player himself but the Academy as a whole. Plus, they may be thinking what's the point if I can't get on the bench even when we have so many out.

I know we have six senior players out which obviously has precipitated this move but shit happens. Sometimes necessity brings unexpected results. Who would have imagined Zinchenko would have done as well as has at left back? Or Delph? Every now and then a young lad bursts onto the scene somewhere as a result of getting a chance due to a few injuries or suspensions. Why should it not be one of our boys?

I think personally we should have gone with the full allocation of substitutes. And it has also had the side effect of giving the media another stick to beat us with. We may well have another injury or suspension before we have players returning so will we see this event recurring as well. I hope not
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: Substitutes

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 am

I think it would have been wrong to name a kid on the bench when they had no chance of playing - taking them for the EDS game on the Friday.

We can only play three, so six options should be enough.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 am

Mase wrote:I think it would have been wrong to name a kid on the bench when they had no chance of playing - taking them for the EDS game on the Friday.

The likelihood of Adarabiyo coming on in front of Laporte was extremely slim to non existent. Yet he is on there. Most weeks one or two of the six are never going to come on unless it's an emergency.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Plain Speaking » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 am

We have injuries to key attacking players and insufficient depth for 4 competitions. Pep must be incredibly frustrated he was not able to add another attacking player in the transfer window.

I was struggling to think how any of our subs would improve our starting lineup. In hindsight I thought taking off Sterling may have been a bit hasty? Sure he missed good chances, but he would have put in a shift to make up for that.

I think Burnley were mentally buoyed when he went off, it gave them a real belief they could salvage something from the game.

I think Pep was trying to highlight his lack of options by only having 6 subs.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 am

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:I think it would have been wrong to name a kid on the bench when they had no chance of playing - taking them for the EDS game on the Friday.

The likelihood of Adarabiyo coming on in front of Laporte was extremely slim to non existent. Yet he is on there. Most weeks one or two of the six are never going to come on unless it's an emergency.

They were both already in the matchday squad though mate. They weren’t on the list for the EDS and pulled at the last minute - they were already in the squad.

EDIT: Laporte can play left-back and with Komps playing Tosin may well have come on.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 am

Where was Nmecha?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby fangsanalsatan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Where was Nmecha?

I heard he was ill.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:

I heard he was ill.

He's not the only player with some kind of bug/cold as of late. Does anyone know what kind of protocols are in place at clubs in the event of any kind of illness outbreak? Apart from the Spurs food poisoning scandal, I can't think of any examples of teams/squads being decimated due to illness.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:

I heard he was ill.

Did he travel? Do we know who travelled? Was it just the 17 named that did?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dimples » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:36 am

This looks like internal club politics.
It would appear that Pep was making a point about the (lack of) resources available to him to compete on four fronts.
He has a point.

We are very light up front if we are serious about competing in all four competitions.
We have missed out on Sanchez and Mahrez, maybe others that we do not know about.
Also, is he comfortable with Kun - not really, for example, he prefers Jesus.

We have a lot of games coming up. Any more injuries and we will struggle big time. Add in that it seems to be open season on City players.
There is no firm date set for a Jesus return, Sane the same, etc...
If we lose one of Ederson, KDB, Silva or Kun we could end up with nothing (KDB has been very lucky to avoid injury after recent tackles on him)
The team looks knackered to me.

The PL is not done yet, in the CL we will face the top teams in Europe, FA cup is open season on us and we have to play the ref in the final Vs. Arsenal.

Don't know who Pep was aiming at yesterday but I think there is some internal dispute in progress.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:43 am

Whether Pep was making a point or not I am surprised so much is being made of it or that some are trying to make it.

First topic on Sunday Supplement says it all.They love to highlight anything they consider negative so a slight surprise that the 3 journos didn't want to support Neil Ashton with his negative view. I know Esteemed Kompany was seriously upset and I do see the point but it's just not that big a deal imo.

Having said that I would have put another kid on the bench even if he did play the EDS game the night before. No chance of getting on but give a little matchday experience with the first team.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Having said that I would have put another kid on the bench even if he did play the EDS game the night before. No chance of getting on but give a little matchday experience with the first team.

That’s all well and good, but what about the other players from the EDS that don’t get picked just to experience the match day. What does that do for their confidence? If I was playing with the EDS and didn’t get picked I’d consider if I’d make it with City.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Burt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm sticking behind the manager. He knows what he's doing. In Pep we trust. Full stop.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 pm

We did have Zinc, Tosin and Diaz on the bench already. In the interest of balance the various media outlets could mention it.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:18 pm

why do it unless your trying to make a point?
seems rather petty to me and has attracted the wrong kind of attention. an own goal from pep i think...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john68 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Does anyone really give a flying fuck what Chuckle 1. ot other agenda rideden twats in the media think? Their only reason for being is to big up their own importance and sell their shite to the 'sheeple'. It doesn't change a thing.

I am gobsmacked that people om here continue to watch and read the shite they spew.
I don't buy the papers, they report very little that truth anyway. Nor do I bother too much with the radio or TV reportage, both my radio and TV have off switches, which are regularly used.

I have eyes ears and a brain...try it,you'll find it a wonderful experience.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Its tricky one but not a big deal one way or another, just one of those situations where u have no choice.

I see nasri is a free agent, anything to be said for giving him a shout to make up the numbers? Still only young and if u can get him fit he could be quite handy!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm

john68 wrote:Does anyone really give a flying fuck what Chuckle 1. ot other agenda rideden twats in the media think? Their only reason for being is to big up their own importance and sell their shite to the 'sheeple'. It doesn't change a thing.

I am gobsmacked that people om here continue to watch and read the shite they spew.
I don't buy the papers, they report very little that truth anyway. Nor do I bother too much with the radio or TV reportage, both my radio and TV have off switches, which are regularly used.

Quite right - I watch animal planet , it’s the most honest you will ever see on tv .

News media brain washes the masses if your not careful - I don’t trust any of the cunts .(even the English weather men are lying cunts )
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby mr_nool » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
john68 wrote:Does anyone really give a flying fuck what Chuckle 1. ot other agenda rideden twats in the media think? Their only reason for being is to big up their own importance and sell their shite to the 'sheeple'. It doesn't change a thing.

Quite right - I watch animal planet , it’s the most honest you will ever see on tv .

News media brain washes the masses if your not careful - I don’t trust any of the cunts .(even the English weather men are lying cunts )

I think they're biases towards "cute" animals.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:49 pm

I think Guardiola is an emotional Guy, because of this he sometimes lets his Heart over rule his Head. In retrospect he probably regrets giving our haters ammunition to shoot us with. They are all at it in today papers. led by that slimy twat Neville.... wankers.

Yesterday when he took Sterling off,in my opinion he was cutting off his own Nose to spite his Face.” Yes” Sterling miss was a bad one. Still Sterling was the one most likely to score for us. He should have taken off the Navas doppleganger (Bernado), or Aguero who was having one of his cant be arsed days. Terrible substitution, Burnley was on the front foot for the rest of the game after that substitution. He is allowed the occasional brain fart though,13 points clear. Only highlighting it because I think it is an example of him acting on his heart instead of his Head.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum