The Beautiful Game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Beautiful Game

Postby Bear60 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm

I am old enough to remember the 1970 World Cup final I was 10 years old and my Dad took me to the Labour Club to watch it . That was when I first realised how good this game is that we all love doesn't matter what team you support if you are a true football fan you appreciate how great it is when teams play the game the way we do now . I was at the Game when Bayern Munich dicked us at home in the second half I turned round to the bloke next to me and said I am not watching City I am watching them , he said So am I . Who was their manager ? Pep Guardiola , watching Pep Guardiola's Barcelona was on a par with the 1970 Brasil team and now watching our beloved Manchester City I get the same feeling it's The Beautiful game.
Image
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2373
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm
Location: Oswestry
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby phips » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

but to be this beautiful you have to sacrifice the tough, gritty, hard-nosed football of old. and that means that modern day players would die in the trenches.

i love it though.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8264
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: California
Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby carolina-blue » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Bear60 wrote:I am old enough to remember the 1970 World Cup final I was 10 years old and my Dad took me to the Labour Club to watch it . That was when I first realised how good this game is that we all love doesn't matter what team you support if you are a true football fan you appreciate how great it is when teams play the game the way we do now . I was at the Game when Bayern Munich dicked us at home in the second half I turned round to the bloke next to me and said I am not watching City I am watching them , he said So am I . Who was their manager ? Pep Guardiola , watching Pep Guardiola's Barcelona was on a par with the 1970 Brasil team and now watching our beloved Manchester City I get the same feeling it's The Beautiful game.


Great Post . And just to add One of my fondest memories of football in that era was the Dutch and Johan Cruyff . Circle of life mate circle of life .
Can you just imagine the media licking going on right now if Pep & this football was being played at the comedy club ,
carolina-blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby failsworthblue » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I was only six for the 1970 World Cup , but I remember watching the games and my Dad taking me to the Esso Petrol Station for the football tokens.

it was magical and only Brazil in 82 beats it as the best football I have ever seen.

But this team is very close :D
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:53 pm

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:26 pm

My fondest City memory was seeing Tiatto come on as a sub against Blackburn then get sent off a few minutes later for twating someone.
Mase
Alan Oakes' 668 Games
 
Posts: 17794
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby s1ty m » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

The Carlos Alberto goal was the single greatest piece of football ever played. It still makes me weep. It's indescribable.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
User avatar
s1ty m
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: uk

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm

failsworthblue wrote:I was only six for the 1970 World Cup , but I remember watching the games and my Dad taking me to the Esso Petrol Station for the football tokens.

it was magical and only Brazil in 82 beats it as the best football I have ever seen.

But this team is very close :D


Brilliant as Brazil were in 1970, I always maintain that the Peru side of that era had even more flair, flamboyance and attacking style, which they continued to exhibit until the later stages of that decade.

The trouble was, they were wildly inconsistent and their concentration on all out attack left their defence continually exposed and woefully weak. They quite literally threw all caution to the winds.

IMHO, although it's a significantly different game today, I think we have the equivalent of that Peruvian side's flair but, under Pep, we've cultivated a way to shield the defence from the vulnerabilities of forever attacking.

All in all, we're probably going to become the most legendary side of all time.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby john68 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 am

phips wrote:but to be this beautiful you have to sacrifice the tough, gritty, hard-nosed football of old. and that means that modern day players would die in the trenches.

i love it though.


I don't think that is necessarily true Phips, even though the media would have you believe it were so. Even in my own memory of watching football, there have been plenty of players, encumbered with boots they could have worn working down a pit and a water sogged, laced up leather casie for a ball, who could display silkt skills.
Nor do I believe, despite what retired footballers, mentally handcuffed to a fonder past time that never really was as they would remember, or have you believe, that footballers were a much tougher breed.
We have only to witness the tackles on City players to understand that the game can be just as hard nosed and cruelly physical. Further evidence can be drawn on the severity of some of the injuries we see.

And even if it were true, though not a huge fan of either, I would much rather watch the artistic beauty of a ballet that two big ugly bastards kicking fuck out of each other.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
User avatar
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14133
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:47 pm
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the bay...wastin' time.
Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 am

I think that in the clamour for the the points to get us over the line early for the title it's possible to miss the pure beauty and joy in the football we have been playing.
We have never seen anything like this before and who knows, we may never again. Enjoy every moment, for we are, fucking ace.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12924
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: Weirdosville.
Supporter of: Us

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 am

There have been a number of sides over the years to who greatness has been attributed.

Hungary 1953, Madrid 1960, Brazil 1970 and 1982, Barcelona 2008/9 and there will undoubtedly be others. Of course there have been other successful sides but the common denominator in all of those sides is their propensity to attack and have a culture of having most of the side as footballers and by that I mean people who are comfortable on the ball in possession. I think Manchester City 2018 could well be added to that esteemed list
nottsblue
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby john@staustell » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm

failsworthblue wrote:I was only six for the 1970 World Cup , but I remember watching the games and my Dad taking me to the Esso Petrol Station for the football tokens.

it was magical and only Brazil in 82 beats it as the best football I have ever seen.

But this team is very close :D


Bizarrely I had an Alan Oakes token.

And I was 10, same as Bear.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
User avatar
john@staustell
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14174
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am
Location: St Austell
Supporter of: City

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Bear60 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm

john@staustell wrote:
failsworthblue wrote:I was only six for the 1970 World Cup , but I remember watching the games and my Dad taking me to the Esso Petrol Station for the football tokens.

it was magical and only Brazil in 82 beats it as the best football I have ever seen.

But this team is very close :D


Bizarrely I had an Alan Oakes token.

And I was 10, same as Bear.


I remember the tokens I had Colin Bell and Francis Lee I also had a World Cup chart up on the bedroom wall and can remember filling in the quarterfinal result West Germany v England and crying as I was doing it lol
Image
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2373
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm
Location: Oswestry
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I think that in the clamour for the the points to get us over the line early for the title it's possible to miss the pure beauty and joy in the football we have been playing.
We have never seen anything like this before and who knows, we may never again. Enjoy every moment, for we are, fucking ace.


Exactly. I think it will only hit us afterwards how fucking amazing this team is.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11331
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: Blue moon
Supporter of: MCFC

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby gillie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Bear60 wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
failsworthblue wrote:I was only six for the 1970 World Cup , but I remember watching the games and my Dad taking me to the Esso Petrol Station for the football tokens.

it was magical and only Brazil in 82 beats it as the best football I have ever seen.

But this team is very close :D


Bizarrely I had an Alan Oakes token.

And I was 10, same as Bear.


I remember the tokens I had Colin Bell and Francis Lee I also had a World Cup chart up on the bedroom wall and can remember filling in the quarterfinal result West Germany v England and crying as I was doing it lol

Neal that QF result really upset me as well and as you know I was only 10 years old same as you mate as for Brazil 70 imo best National team ever.
Image
User avatar
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent
 
Posts: 13892
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: our house
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby nottsblue » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 pm

s1ty m wrote:The Carlos Alberto goal was the single greatest piece of football ever played. It still makes me weep. It's indescribable.

Was perfection.
nottsblue
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby zuricity » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 pm

s1ty m wrote:The Carlos Alberto goal was the single greatest piece of football ever played. It still makes me weep. It's indescribable.


soft bastard.

Rodney Marsh against Derby.

shake your head
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10360
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Zuerich,ch

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby The Maine Man » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 pm

I was at the Etihad the other week (Stoke 7-2) and got talking to some Scottish lads sat behind me. They had driven down from Aberdeen for the weekend just to watch City play and couldn't believe the football they were watching. Good lads. They also raved about the pies and the welcome they got in the blue pubs.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm
Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm

nottsblue wrote:There have been a number of sides over the years to who greatness has been attributed.

Hungary 1953, Madrid 1960, Brazil 1970 and 1982, Barcelona 2008/9 and there will undoubtedly be others. Of course there have been other successful sides but the common denominator in all of those sides is their propensity to attack and have a culture of having most of the side as footballers and by that I mean people who are comfortable on the ball in possession. I think Manchester City 2018 could well be added to that esteemed list

Ajax and Holland in the 1970s. Still support the Netherlands at the World Cups because of it. (Obviously won't be bothering this year.)
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7008
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Manchester
Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby nottsblue » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
nottsblue wrote:There have been a number of sides over the years to who greatness has been attributed.

Hungary 1953, Madrid 1960, Brazil 1970 and 1982, Barcelona 2008/9 and there will undoubtedly be others. Of course there have been other successful sides but the common denominator in all of those sides is their propensity to attack and have a culture of having most of the side as footballers and by that I mean people who are comfortable on the ball in possession. I think Manchester City 2018 could well be added to that esteemed list

Ajax and Holland in the 1970s. Still support the Netherlands at the World Cups because of it. (Obviously won't be bothering this year.)

Good shout
nottsblue
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: The Beautiful Game

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:59 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
nottsblue wrote:There have been a number of sides over the years to who greatness has been attributed.

Hungary 1953, Madrid 1960, Brazil 1970 and 1982, Barcelona 2008/9 and there will undoubtedly be others. Of course there have been other successful sides but the common denominator in all of those sides is their propensity to attack and have a culture of having most of the side as footballers and by that I mean people who are comfortable on the ball in possession. I think Manchester City 2018 could well be added to that esteemed list

Ajax and Holland in the 1970s. Still support the Netherlands at the World Cups because of it. (Obviously won't be bothering this year.)


Cruyff would have loved this City team.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Levenshulme

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andy, Beefymcfc, dick dastardley, Foreverinbluedreams, Google [Bot], iwasthere2012, King_Tueart, knozzer, Lev Bronstein, Moses, mr_nool, Nigels Tackle, ShimmyShaker, South Stand Balti and 71 guests