Yellow Ribbon

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Yellow Ribbon

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:34 pm

He had it on tonight, as well as the Prostate cancer one. Noticed that he was absent from the steps and celebrating, was it a polite fuck off to the powers that be or tactical masterclass as he wasn't in the gaze of the Eye of Mordor?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby City64 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:He had it on tonight, as well as the Prostate cancer one. Noticed that he was absent from the steps and celebrating, was it a polite fuck off to the powers that be or tactical masterclass as he wasn't in the gaze of the Eye of Mordor?

Very street wise is our Pep and very a fuck you to the FA establishment.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby aaron bond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 am

The FA opened up this can of worms by making such a fuss about wearing a poppy.

They should have left that alone and would be in a stronger position now to challenge Guardiola.

Instead they’ve got themselves into a mess and Guardiola can use it to make a case on why he should be allowed to wear his ribbon.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Bear60 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 am

The FA has got no respect for Pep so why the fuck should he have any respect for them
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Justified logic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 am

Bear60 wrote:The FA has got no respect for Pep so why the fuck should he have any respect for them

Because he's better than them? Strange concept I know.
Justified logic

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Loads of fans at the ground wearing yellow ribbons yesterday. Think this might catch on.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Bear60 wrote:The FA has got no respect for Pep so why the fuck should he have any respect for them

Because he's better than them? Strange concept I know.

You have to respect someone just because you’re better than them?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PrezIke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Pep now being questioned about this and his statements given his past ambassadorship to Qatar for the 2022 World Cup (10 years ago apparently) and of course criticisms of City with UAE and human rights. An article in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... low-ribbon

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/article202186404.html

and James Richardson also went to a break raising the point, rhetorically, in today's Totally Football podcast after they discussed Pep's yellow ribbon and his words.

Before I am a manager, I am a human being

Look, I can't pretend to ignore these inconsistencies, even if I think it reeks of "the agenda" and I can see some big problems that can be evidenced by history of political action and sport with the author's claim:

Someone should be able to make Guardiola see that displays of political affiliation are banned for a very good reason

I know on this forum we are meant to avoid it, and I of course respect those rules and will take any necessary steps back if needs be, but I know in the U.S. there is a record for sport being a key way to address political issues through athletes expression of it.

Yes, the waters are murky and it causes some to be quite bothered, but this author -- where no comments are even allowed for some poor reason -- why bother having an LGBTQ celebration day where players are to wear rainbow socks, even if they don't wear them, which is a political statement as well (as our own players made refusing to wear them earlier this season) and where I heard disgust from some journos and fans about our players not doing so. Or why bother having a Kick Out Racism! campaign if politics has no place in sport?

I'm just asking, and I also can see the concerns of "slippery slope"/relativists claim that asks why are Ultras, John Terry and Di Cano's hail salute banned or given worse punishment and LGBTQ rights (a political issue) supported if sport is supposedly a-political?

Anyway, Pep may be ignorant and as a City fan I may also be engaging in cognitive dissonance about where our money comes from or the links to questionable beaviour. Yet, if the author wants to play slipper slope -- in an argument I have made to our self righteous human rights critics -- what about hedge funds and American owners in the PL who's president is considered against human rights as well and arguably supports white nationalists? It is a country that invaded countries "illegally," uses more resources than anyone else with a small population, and has huge numbers of people who don't believe in science that is having an impact on human lives around the world?

Long post, and I know some may deride me for its length and content, but whilst we are all culpable for our inconsistencies, the reality is that pointing fingers also comes with doing so perhaps at your own self as well, which our loudest critics I barely hear utter any awareness about ever.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Yet Pep will be expected to wear a poppy next autumn.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 am

I saw that about the Qatar thing. I don’t think these journalists realise - he’s actually from Catalan. So because he’s ‘supported’ a country to help them in a World Cup bid that means he’s not allowed to show support from where he’s from?

They’re fuckin morons!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 am

If you can't beat them on the pitch, 'beat' them off it.

We are at that point where the slapped arses know we are miles ahead of any of their beloved clubs so now have to resort to 'other means' to try and bring the club down. We've had it all this season, more than usual, and it will continue until the other big clubs accept us. That will take time and probably a CL win. Until then, expect it to continue, by fair !sans or foul.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Noticed that he was absent from the steps and celebrating, was it a polite fuck off to the powers that be or tactical masterclass as he wasn't in the gaze of the Eye of Mordor?

I think only the players involved in the final go up to collect the trophy. Never realised this before, but Pellers didn't go up to collect it in 2016 either (just watched the presentation video of this - I don't know if it's always been this way).

Edit: Just checked, and Tony Book didn't go up to collect the trophy in 1976 either, so maybe it's always been this way.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby frankswift » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Noticed that he was absent from the steps and celebrating, was it a polite fuck off to the powers that be or tactical masterclass as he wasn't in the gaze of the Eye of Mordor?

I think only the players involved in the final go up to collect the trophy. Never realised this before, but Pellers didn't go up to collect it in 2016 either (just watched the presentation video of this - I don't know if it's always been this way).

Edit: Just checked, and Tony Book didn't go up to collect the trophy in 1976 either, so maybe it's always been this way.

I think it could be up to the managers as to whether they want to hog some of the glory. I couldn't imagine Skip or Mr Pellegrini wanting to do it, but I can think of managers, if you would only believe it, in the EPL that would jump at the chance.
frankswift
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Take a wild guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 am

Martin Samuel slags off FA for lack of thought over this and nails it really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ibbon.html

uefa changed their rules to only ban offensive symbols. swastikas etc. Individuals are free to do what they like as long as it isn't offensive.

That would seem perfectly in line with society at large, the FA needs to stop trying to dictate on cultural issues like some dinosaur committee.
Everything can be political these days, we could even argue that advertising is political.

They already allow numerous political symbols and campaigns to exist in football so they need to get themselves up to date and get off the judgment panel before they get hammered again.

Surely there is a moral in this tale - put 5 old men in a room and they will slap each other on the back while totally failing to understand something.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Dameerto » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 am

VERY VERY good point about the rainbow laces from Samuel.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby PrezIke » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Dameerto wrote:VERY VERY good point about the rainbow laces from Samuel.

Literally the exact point I made as well.

Very inconsistent.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 am

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john68 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 am

An easy answer for Pep would be to discard that tiny little ribbon to please the FA and then replace it with a fucking big yellow scarf.
Round his neck, and crossed at the front to keep his chest warm.

Should the club wish to back Pep, a band of yellow round the collar of the shirt, slightly lengthened to cross at the front should see the FA fucking themselves up the arse in confusion.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Justified logic » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:47 am

john68 wrote:An easy answer for Pep would be to discard that tiny little ribbon to please the FA and then replace it with a fucking big yellow scarf.
Round his neck, and crossed at the front to keep his chest warm.

Should the club wish to back Pep, a band of yellow round the collar of the shirt, slightly lengthened to cross at the front should see the FA fucking themselves up the arse in confusion.

You having a Vivienne Westwood moment John?
Justified logic

Postby carolina-blue » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 pm

MUen reporting Pep accepts FA charge
So will they touchline ban him ?
carolina-blue

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum