What goals do you remember?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What goals do you remember?

Postby stevefromdonny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:26 pm

city win against villa in70s, villa attacked, then in 3 moves from our area we scored kidd header
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Kippax Sean wrote:does anyone remember Clive Allen scoring a screamer from the right hand side about 25 yards out. It was away, think qpr in a cup game or is my memory playing tricks.

I suspect it may have been this one against Chelsea at the bridge. Goal is on 40 seconds
Watch on youtube.com

This is the only one I can find against QPR
Watch on youtube.com

Although Clive Allen himself seems to think it was against Notts County in the cup, but I think his memory was playing tricks
Watch on youtube.com
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Kippax Sean » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Patrickblue thanks very much. The goal against Chelsea matches the one in my head, but I thought it was around '91 cheers Sean.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Kippax Sean wrote:Patrickblue thanks very much. The goal against Chelsea matches the one in my head, but I thought it was around '91 cheers Sean.

So does Clive Allen it seems
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Kippax Sean wrote:Patrickblue thanks very much. The goal against Chelsea matches the one in my head, but I thought it was around '91 cheers Sean.

So does Clive Allen it seems

But it might have been this one, away to Chester in the Rumbelows Cup, October 91. Goal around 1:45

Watch on youtube.com
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Sorry I have no pictures of it, but a goal from way, way back.

Allison had been impressed with a young kid at Gigg Lane, but when Mercer went to check him out, he didn't rate him. though we bought him anyway. Allison was convinced he had potential.....and what potential!!!!!

We all trolled off the the old Baseball Ground in Derby. A shithole of a ground, with crap stands surrounding a mud bath, considered to bethe worst pitch in England.

I can't remember much about the game, nor the final score but I do remember seeing the new kid take a shot. The Derby keeper, Reg Matthews couldn't quite make a clean save but blocked the shot. It rebounded out and the kid had followed his shot into the goalmouth.
Quick as a flash, he reacted and slotted it into the net.

Not his greatest goal ever for City but the first of many from him that we on the Kippax celebrated. A debut goal I willnever forget.

Who???.....There's enough clues for you to work it out for yourselves.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Does anyone's still puzzling on why I love Mase to bones? :D

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:46 pm

If you got the last one, how about another from the same era?

All was not well at Bolton. a rising star considered almost blasphemy. Pissed off that he felt he was doing all the leg work for the then Wanderers legend Nat Lofthouse, he decided to confront their manager and ex City player Bill Ridding for a rise. It was refused.

Not to be beaten, the young lad went on strike, refusing to play until he got more money. Ridding thought that not being paid anything would soon bring the upstart to heel, but not so. The kid had other irons in his financial fire and was actually making more money pursuing his business interests away from football.

City came in and bought him. Mercer paid a then club record fee.

Not sure if it was a debut goal but the scene was Fulham's Craven Cottage. The ball fell to the lad outside the area and thundered it, long range into the back of the net.
Mercer said it was the hardest shot he'd ever seen, The kid said that the keeper had a nerve even trying to dive and save it.
Another great City Legend was born.

Certainly enough clues for the other old bastards on the board....Who was it???
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:51 pm

john68 wrote:Sorry I have no pictures of it, but a goal from way, way back.

Allison had been impressed with a young kid at Gigg Lane, but when Mercer went to check him out, he didn't rate him. though we bought him anyway. Allison was convinced he had potential.....and what potential!!!!!

We all trolled off the the old Baseball Ground in Derby. A shithole of a ground, with crap stands surrounding a mud bath, considered to bethe worst pitch in England.

I can't remember much about the game, nor the final score but I do remember seeing the new kid take a shot. The Derby keeper, Reg Matthews couldn't quite make a clean save but blocked the shot. It rebounded out and the kid had followed his shot into the goalmouth.

Not his greatest goal ever for City but the first of many from him that we on the Kippax celebrated. A debut goal I willnever forget.

That must have been that bloke that big Mal used to slag off to the other managers and scouts when he used to go and watch him. "Can't head it, can't pass it, he's hopeless".
We'll drink a drink a drink

Edit: The score was 2-1 to City, and the other scorer was Neil Young.
Last edited by patrickblue on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:52 pm

john68 wrote:If you got the last one, how about another from the same era?

All was not well at Bolton. a rising star considered almost blasphemy. Pissed off that he felt he was doing all the leg work for the then Wanderers legend Nat Lofthouse, he decided to confront their manager and ex City player Bill Ridding for a rise. It was refused.

Not to be beaten, the young lad went on strike, refusing to play until he got more money. Ridding thought that not being paid anything would soon bring the upstart to heel, but not so. The kid had other irons in his financial fire and was actually making more money pursuing his business interests away from football.

City came in and bought him. Mercer paid a then club record fee.

Not sure if it was a debut goal but the scene was Fulham's Craven Cottage. The ball fell to the lad outside the area and thundered it, long range into the back of the net.
Mercer said it was the hardest shot he'd ever seen, The kid said that the keeper had a nerve even trying to dive and save it.
Another great City Legend was born.

Certainly enough clues for the other old bastards on the board....Who was it???

Must have been the toilet roll king.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Yep.
.....and Yep.
john68

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Andy Hill or Colin the King? ;)

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Swales4ever wrote:

But which one?
john68

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 pm

While we're on the subject John, I remember reading Big Mal saying (in a book I think) that Colin Bell's first few games for City were a bit ordinary, and his first goal was a deflection off his arse, after which he got into his stride.
That doesn't sound like the Derby game, could it have been his first goal at Maine Road?
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:35 pm

patrickblue wrote:While we're on the subject John, I remember reading Big Mal saying (in a book I think) that Colin Bell's first few games for City were a bit ordinary, and his first goal was a deflection off his arse, after which he got into his stride.
That doesn't sound like the Derby game, could it have been his first goal at Maine Road?

It could well have been that Derby game Patrick, there were very devisive opinions on it.
I bought the local Derby 'football pink' on the station to read on the journey home from that game and remember being outraged (being a biased City fan, I would be) at their report of the goal.
Along the lines of...."Bell's shot was well blocked by the great reactions of Reg Matthews. The ball rebounded out and hit Colin Bell and luckily for City and Bell, it simply rebounded in." Allison's comment may be a tad exaggerated on the body part but maybe was a tad more objective than my opinion.

......Or the opinion of the Manchester football pink's City reporter Peter Gardner which clearly agreed with me that...Reg Matthews had (luckily) got his body in the way of Bell's shot which rebounded out. It was Bell's quick reaction that allowed the new kid to slot home a great debut goal for the Blues.

Not sure which version may have been the truth, but I reckon that a young teenage me, backed up by a City hack, writing for a City public has more weight for posterity that Allison....I mean....what did Big Mal know about the game? :-)

I know which I want to....and still believe.
john68

Postby Mase » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Swales4ever wrote:Does anyone's still puzzling on why I love Mase to bones? :D

Yes bro!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:48 pm

I am going to remember the 5 we put past the rags on the 7th of April when we are confirmed champs.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Mase wrote:Berkovic against Norwich where he ran from the half way line. Class.

Tiatto’s that was disallowed against Boro.

I remember the Bekovic one, we were down to ten men and ran out worthy winners. In the next game (or maybe previous) we were also down to ten men against Milwall, and totally dominated them, result never in doubt. That Keegan promotion team was as far ahead of the Championship norm in terms of ability as the current team is ahead of the PL.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 pm

john68 wrote:
Swales4ever wrote:[

But which one?

Considering Your renowned romanticism my money is on Nijinsky :mrgreen:

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Mase wrote:Berkovic against Norwich where he ran from the half way line. Class.

Tiatto’s that was disallowed against Boro.

I remember the Bekovic one, we were down to ten men and ran out worthy winners. In the next game (or maybe previous) we were also down to ten men against Milwall, and totally dominated them, result never in doubt. That Keegan promotion team was as far ahead of the Championship norm in terms of ability as the current team is ahead of the PL.

One of the most enjoyable seasons I can remember. Great football.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum