are we getting better ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: are we getting better ?

Postby sheblue » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 am

Our biggest improvements have been mentally in a collective sense, the whole group looks on games differently now.
We are now better at controlling games. That is our biggest improvement so far, more than anything else.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby aaron bond » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 am

john68 wrote:
Dimples wrote:Yes we are getting better.
Awesome this season
. But Chelsea and Ars not at the races this season. Rags miles behind. Spurs lack depth.
The Dippers proved that we can be got at.
Dippers will be better next season.

CL to tell us how good we are.
IMO we give up to many chances.
If I am right then Messi Ronaldo, etc... will bury us.

Your assessment of the other top 6 teams is not quitw correct Dimples. Their records this season pretty much reflect standard performances in every other Prem season and better than some.
That Spurs, the rags, Scousers and the Chavs have all been successful in the CL shows that they are mot failed teams.
The Prem shows that it is City that is out of step with other seasons and as such are on target to beat the best ever Prem record by a hefty 10pts.

There is no doubt that other teams will seek to improve next season but there is no reason to think that we won't either. The improvements of the likes of Bernardo and Gundogan bear witness to this. The depth of our squad is improving years on year with the rise of young Foden, Diaz and offerings from Tosin, Duhaney, and Nmecha. Pep will no doubt add players this next window.

Even the greatest teams have the odd off day and Liverpool was ours. Even in our failure aginst Wigan, we dominated the game. Shit like that will happen and no matter how dominant we may become, shit likethat will continue to happen fron time to time.

We don't know yet how good this City team is. We have overcome almost allthe domestic obstacles put before us and I am sorry but I can see no reason to worry yet that we will be buried by anyone.

I have to disagree with Dimples too. United and Liverpool are both achieving points totals which would be considered normal for a title race. However, what we are doing is exceptional so it makes them seem ordinary.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:36 am

aaron bond wrote:
john68 wrote:
Awesome this season
. But Chelsea and Ars not at the races this season. Rags miles behind. Spurs lack depth.

Your assessment of the other top 6 teams is not quitw correct Dimples. Their records this season pretty much reflect standard performances in every other Prem season and better than some.
That Spurs, the rags, Scousers and the Chavs have all been successful in the CL shows that they are mot failed teams.
The Prem shows that it is City that is out of step with other seasons and as such are on target to beat the best ever Prem record by a hefty 10pts.

There is no doubt that other teams will seek to improve next season but there is no reason to think that we won't either. The improvements of the likes of Bernardo and Gundogan bear witness to this. The depth of our squad is improving years on year with the rise of young Foden, Diaz and offerings from Tosin, Duhaney, and Nmecha. Pep will no doubt add players this next window.

Even the greatest teams have the odd off day and Liverpool was ours. Even in our failure aginst Wigan, we dominated the game. Shit like that will happen and no matter how dominant we may become, shit likethat will continue to happen fron time to time.

We don't know yet how good this City team is. We have overcome almost allthe domestic obstacles put before us and I am sorry but I can see no reason to worry yet that we will be buried by anyone.

I have to disagree with Dimples too. United and Liverpool are both achieving points totals which would be considered normal for a title race. However, what we are doing is exceptional so it makes them seem ordinary.

Also, I am not convinced we give up many chances. We have the joint best PL defensive record with the Bus Parkers Extraordinaire, having played a game more. It's just that when we do get caught, we look more open because of our focus on attack, not that we get caught more. Indeed, the opposition's rare forays into our area often provide some of our best chances as we break back at them.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:10 pm

budfox wrote:Getting better and better, no doubt about that.

I'd still like to see fewer mistakes at the back though and I'd still like us to score a few more when we totally dominate games.

That would be the holy grail. I would say it is probably as difficult as it is for the oppo teams to get any possession. If you look at the Barca side of PG they had exactly the same problem even with Messi. I would argue though that Pep has a slight advantage at City in so much as he has slightly more freedom to select different players and i believe he has learnt since then also. Barca were strangely unable to stretch teams in the width and get round the back... in fact Pedro was their plan B believe it or not, to try and do that. Pedro FFS!
I would see Sane Sterling Mendy and Walker as PG's attempt to stretch teams wide while still trying to keep tabs in the centre on Aguero/Jesus, KDB and Silva.

All those wide players are very fast and Sane and Sterling can run at and through defenders pulling them out of shape. IMO that is the difference from this City side and PG's Barca and i am 100% convinced that City have designed it that way to get a chance of more goals against stubbornly defending teams.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Swales4ever » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Majestically put Brite. I couldn't agree more.

I am very shy from claiming similar grasp and intelligence of the game as the likes of DH and few others posting on here hold, but I am convinced that what Pep has done in such short time, in terms of overhauling not fitting personnel and then adjustment of juego de posicion to EPL demand for more directness... is bordering miracles.
word of atheist, btw.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

aaron bond wrote:
john68 wrote:
Awesome this season

I'll disagree with that. The maximum either side can get is 89. Both are unlikely to get that( even the team that wins their clash) . High 80's usually is a winning total. Filth are on target for about 80, Liverpool 79. Neither would be high enough to take the title in a normal season.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Dimples » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
john68 wrote:
Awesome this season

I'll disagree with that. The maximum either side can get is 89. Both are unlikely to get that( even the team that wins their clash) . High 80's usually is a winning total. Filth are on target for about 80, Liverpool 79. Neither would be high enough to take the title in a normal season.

I have changed my opinion after reflecting on your replies and looking a little closer at the points tallies for previous seasons.
I agree - it is us that is out of step with other seasons.
Actually, so out of step that the Rags and Chavs refuse to play ball with us and Spurs and Ars were spanked for trying.

I have a perception that we give up chances but as was pointed out in another post our defensive record is excellent and maybe it looks that way because of our style of play. On the other hand the Dippers have class forwards and they stuck four past us. Was it an off day or was it due to the way we defend?

I do not know but I think the CL will answer that one for me.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Dimples wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
john68 wrote:
Awesome this season

I have changed my opinion after reflecting on your replies and looking a little closer at the points tallies for previous seasons.
I agree - it is us that is out of step with other seasons.
Actually, so out of step that the Rags and Chavs refuse to play ball with us and Spurs and Ars were spanked for trying.

I have a perception that we give up chances but as was pointed out in another post our defensive record is excellent and maybe it looks that way because of our style of play. On the other hand the Dippers have class forwards and they stuck four past us. Was it an off day or was it due to the way we defend?

I do not know but I think the CL will answer that one for me.

A minging eight minutes. We just need to make sure that it doesn't happen again.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum