*** Official Manchester City vs F.C Basel Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** Official Manchester City vs F.C Basel Match Thread**

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Decent turn out last night considering the first leg result. I bought my tickets before the first leg was played and probably might not have gone last night due to it being a dead rubber. We were so sloppy with out passing. Only Sane gave me hope. Bernardo tried and Foden tried, also Diaz when he came on but it was a very poor performance overall.

Basel fans were excellent. They had two meatheads at the front orchestrating the chants, does anyone know if these people are paid by the club to do this stuff? They cannot possibly be normal every day fans, spending all that money and travel all over europe to then spend almost the entire 90 minutes with their back to the play?

Dunno know fa about Swiss supporting use, boss.
But can report that in Italy is long standing tradition to have what we usually refer to as "la curva degli Ultras" organized by leaders, normally elected within the circle of the hottest passionated fans, who run the show of the singing section of the stand... often spending the whole game on a "doing a Poznan" stance.
Imagine to have the whole South stand occupied by the hottest of ours.. lead by Nigel's Tackle in guise of an Ibiza Dj from the 80s... or something very similar to the same effect.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 pm

credit to bernardo. got an assist (with his right foot no less!) and sent a couple of excellent balls to the back post that should have been converted.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 pm

mr_nool wrote:(Whether Yugoslavia was part of the Eastern Bloc or not is debatable.)

Only in the same way as the question of whether fish is okay for vegetarians to eat is 'debatable'...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby mr_nool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:(Whether Yugoslavia was part of the Eastern Bloc or not is debatable.)

Only in the same way as the question of whether fish is okay for vegetarians to eat is 'debatable'...

Do you only count the Warsaw Pact members?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby blues2win » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Went to the match last night. A few observations.

Bravo played ok but obviously should have done better with the second goal. Several times he saved our bacon with headed clearances outside the area and once flicked a ball over the top of a Basel player who was otherwise clean through. His kicking was ok.

Sorry but Zinchenko is no left back. He offered nothing going forward and made a number of defensive mistakes. His distribution was often poor. Delph is a far better bet in that position if he’s ever fit.

Danilo wasn’t much better. Again he offered nothing going forward and made defensive errors.

Laporte is class, of that I have no doubt but his attitude was poor. Has to share responsibility for the second goal. Needs a real bollocking from Pep.

Stones played ok. Pick of the defenders

Yaya was little short of a disgrace. Beaten far too easily for the second goal. Strolled around hitting pointless 5 yard sideways passes. Hardly ever got his head up looking for a forward pass. A couple of dangerous free kicks awarded in the second half. He should have taken them but instead jogged forward pointlessly into the area. He was Captain and set the poor lazy tone. He should not start another match in my opinion.

Foden tried hard and did some good things. Couldn’t expect more at 17 and with so much shit around him.

Gundogan did nothing wrong but never got a grip of the match. Disappointing.

Sane had a decent first half but faded in the second. At least he tried to make things happen

Jesus looked very rusty even if he did score. Fair enough. He needed minutes and he got them.

Bernardo would be better in a more central position in my view. However, he did make the goal and made a couple of mazy dribbles which showed his quality. Okish.

Diaz Had a real go when he came on. He’s got a lot of talent. Drew a good save from the goalkeeper late on.

In general the second half was the worst performance by the team I’ve seen this season. No ambition at all. Didn’t see the first half against Shahktar but I imagine it was as poor. We obviously missed the likes of Silva Kevin Fernandinho Aguero Sterling Walker. Who wouldn’t?
Almost all will be back against Stoke ( Fern back in training today) and we’ll be a totally different side.

By the way the Basel fans were terrific. Never stopped singing even when they went one down.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Can we go back to the “no polictics” rule?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby mr_nool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Zinchenko wasn't all that bad imo. I thought he out-performed Danilo by quite a distance.

In the first half he had two very good passes to Sané. He made some mistakes in the second half, but it's harsh on him expecting that he should make things happen when there's no creativity in midfield and little movement up front. Yaya was statuesque and that seemed to rub off on Gundo. Foden was enthusiastic, but often made the wrong run or took up the wrong positions. Jesus was very rusty.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Justified logic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:17 pm

blues2win wrote:Yaya was little short of a disgrace. Beaten far too easily for the second goal. Strolled around hitting pointless 5 yard sideways passes. Hardly ever got his head up looking for a forward pass. A couple of dangerous free kicks awarded in the second half. He should have taken them but instead jogged forward pointlessly into the area. He was Captain and set the poor lazy tone. He should not start another match in my opinion.

I was OK with the team selection when I saw it but I hadn't counted on Yaya being the captain (in name only, as ever). I totally agree that he sets a lazy example. Our poor kids, all enthusiatic, and then they see that lump just ambling around. Unfortunately, we had no leaders on the pitch last night.

I wrote earlier that Yaya will play when we've won the PL so that the star players can rest. I'd like to change that. I hope Yaya never pulls on the shirt again and that if we do want to rest star players for CL games, the kids get a chance to start as they are the future as much as Yaya is already history.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Justified logic wrote:
blues2win wrote:Yaya was little short of a disgrace. Beaten far too easily for the second goal. Strolled around hitting pointless 5 yard sideways passes. Hardly ever got his head up looking for a forward pass. A couple of dangerous free kicks awarded in the second half. He should have taken them but instead jogged forward pointlessly into the area. He was Captain and set the poor lazy tone. He should not start another match in my opinion.

I was OK with the team selection when I saw it but I hadn't counted on Yaya being the captain (in name only, as ever). I totally agree that he sets a lazy example. Our poor kids, all enthusiatic, and then they see that lump just ambling around. Unfortunately, we had no leaders on the pitch last night.

I wrote earlier that Yaya will play when we've won the PL so that the star players can rest. I'd like to change that. I hope Yaya never pulls on the shirt again and that if we do want to rest star players for CL games, the kids get a chance to start as they are the future as much as Yaya is already history.

This. It’s leaving a bit of a sour taste.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby City64 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:00 pm

blues2win wrote:Went to the match last night. A few observations.

Bravo played ok but obviously should have done better with the second goal. Several times he saved our bacon with headed clearances outside the area and once flicked a ball over the top of a Basel player who was otherwise clean through. His kicking was ok.

Sorry but Zinchenko is no left back. He offered nothing going forward and made a number of defensive mistakes. His distribution was often poor. Delph is a far better bet in that position if he’s ever fit.

Danilo wasn’t much better. Again he offered nothing going forward and made defensive errors.

Laporte is class, of that I have no doubt but his attitude was poor. Has to share responsibility for the second goal. Needs a real bollocking from Pep.

Yaya was little short of a disgrace. Beaten far too easily for the second goal. Strolled around hitting pointless 5 yard sideways passes. Hardly ever got his head up looking for a forward pass. A couple of dangerous free kicks awarded in the second half. He should have taken them but instead jogged forward pointlessly into the area. He was Captain and set the poor lazy tone. He should not start another match in my opinion.

Foden tried hard and did some good things. Couldn’t expect more at 17 and with so much shit around him.

Sane had a decent first half but faded in the second. At least he tried to make things happen

Jesus looked very rusty even if he did score. Fair enough. He needed minutes and he got them.

Bernardo would be better in a more central position in my view. However, he did make the goal and made a couple of mazy dribbles which showed his quality. Okish.

Diaz Had a real go when he came on. He’s got a lot of talent. Drew a good save from the goalkeeper late on.

In general the second half was the worst performance by the team I’ve seen this season. No ambition at all. Didn’t see the first half against Shahktar but I imagine it was as poor. We obviously missed the likes of Silva Kevin Fernandinho Aguero Sterling Walker. Who wouldn’t?
Almost all will be back against Stoke ( Fern back in training today) and we’ll be a totally different side.

By the way the Basel fans were terrific. Never stopped singing even when they went one down.

Bravo was fucking diabolical as always .

Fuck the Basel fans they probably dont get out much ?!?!?!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:04 pm

We are pretty much losing perspective, me Think.

Granted Zinch didn't have the best day in office, think Nool has a fair point.

Sure he wouldn't be a traditional LB, and wouldn't make a defender in a Fat Sam, Pulis, Woy, Parkthebus-inho side... but what went south last night is not that we didn't have a defensive built LB ... it's el Juego de Posicion which went south.
Starting a retired pair of legs in the pivotal sole role of DM... screwed the whole chessboard from the origin.
Wish I was MC, so I'd be more eloquent, either by language and by actual chess strategy. :lol:

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 am

mr_nool wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

With the debatable addition of Albania, yes.

Yugoslavia didn't consider itself Eastern Bloc, the Warsaw Pact members didn't consider it Eastern Bloc, and the Non-Alligned Movement ('other' Bloc or Third World, as it was also known) also didn't consider it Eastern Bloc, but for some reason it entered the Western Bloc psyche that it was, in fact, Eastern Bloc. In the UN, Yugoslavia habitually sided with Western Bloc countries on issues concerning European territory, while it was more East-alligned (as was the entire NAM in general) when it came to matters elsewhere across the globe.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Spider Legs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 am

Only 1 member of the A team played v Basel (Sane), I think that puts in perspective. I was at the game and it was bloody boring, not enough adventure, not enough creation, too much safety play, was like watching Steve Davis play snooker but with the odd mistake thrown in. The B team isn't good enough to win trophies but they needed a run out. That's why our A team is romping it in the PL, they are in a different class. We will soon see in the CL how good our A team is..
Spider Legs
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Peter Denis Tueart Barnes

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 am

City64 wrote:

Bravo was good. Not a chance of getting the first goal, defence fucked up. Second was poor, apart from that second goal he didn't put a foot wrong.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby City64 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
City64 wrote:

Bravo was good. Not a chance of getting the first goal, defence fucked up. Second was poor, apart from that second goal he didn't put a foot wrong.

Second goal was beyond poor from him , he has been better this season to be fair to him taking him from utter crap status to just crap , improvement nevertheless.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby mr_nool » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:35 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

With the debatable addition of Albania, yes.

Yugoslavia didn't consider itself Eastern Bloc, the Warsaw Pact members didn't consider it Eastern Bloc, and the Non-Alligned Movement ('other' Bloc or Third World, as it was also known) also didn't consider it Eastern Bloc, but for some reason it entered the Western Bloc psyche that it was, in fact, Eastern Bloc. In the UN, Yugoslavia habitually sided with Western Bloc countries on issues concerning European territory, while it was more East-alligned (as was the entire NAM in general) when it came to matters elsewhere across the globe.

That's a fair definition I guess. It's probably down to Western laziness and geographical convenience that they are referred to as an East-Bloc country sometimes.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
City64 wrote:

Talk about contradicting yourself !...he was good but he fucked up and was poor for the second.

Thanks to him we lost our home record which has lasted for over a year.

Therefore he was shit.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Swales4ever » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I wouldn't lay the whole blame on poor Claudio, but strictu senso, logic isn't failing there.
I ( and You I suppose) very much doubt the keeper would have had to face those two blatant goalscoring opportunities, if a usefull DM was in the mix, tho.

Bored as fk that we have to go pedantic until Monday night come!

Well.... at least tommorow will have the derby of vintage sides. :lol:

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum