*** Official Manchester City vs F.C Basel Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Are we not bothering with Basel?

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Mase wrote:Delph injured again?!

Yes, Delph is injured again as per Pep
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Are we not bothering with Basel?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Mase wrote:Delph injured again?!

Yes, Delph is injured again as per Pep

I think its been miraculous that we got as many games form him as we did this season.....he's like Vinny , a fuckign liabilty when it comes to match planning.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Re: *** Official Manchester City vs F.C Basel Match Thread**

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 am

CTID Hants wrote:As shit as it was, we are through, unlike Spud's...

I didn't even watch it but the main emphasis should be this. Once you see a line-up like that then you've got to expect the worse, and when you think about it, a dead rubber where you give yourself a chance but also expect the worse, whereas giving yourself the best chance whilst also expecting a shock in a proper tie, then I accept this shit can happen.

Just like I want the PL seen up asp so we can concentrate on the CL. If there was a choic of winning the CL compared to getting the highest points score in the PL then its the former all the way.

Play your cards how they are dealt and when life gives you a helping hand, grasp it and use it to it's full extent
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby aaron bond » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 am

Obviously would have been nice to win but it was a meaningless match. We did the job in the first leg so could afford to take it easy.

Overall it’s better to do that than have to go full throttle in both legs.

Key players rested. Some minutes for fringe players and players returning from injury.

Now on to Stoke.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 am

Really poor performance. I was disappointed in Stones and Laporte and especially Toure. Im fine if Yaya never plays for City again
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:50 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Really poor performance. I was disappointed in Stones and Laporte and especially Toure. Im fine if Yaya never plays for City again

It's hard to make a case for any of them playing for City again, possibly except Sane, Foden, Jesus and Gundogan

Long time since we saw such bad passing. And Zinchenko - dear me
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 am

I think the fact our captain was happy to just jog around set the tone for the rest of the players. Even though we were 5-0 up on aggregate imagine a Keane or Vieira captaining the team last night.

Yaya is a legend but don’t play him anymore please.

Give him 10 mins on the last day of the season to say bye.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
KinkyKinkladze wrote:That was utterly pathetic towards the end there. Sane and Diaz excluded, nobody seemed to have the guts to try and force something.

Zinchenko is too negative. He bottles it whenever he's given an attacking option. He's safe and tidy by and large but Christ lad, take a chance every now and again.

Jesus has ring rust. He'll get there. Same for foden.

Massively disappointed with laporte so far. Needs to start getting up to speed.

All in all, that was fucking shit. A minute left of stoppage time and the fans are booing because it's just keep ball, walking pace. Danilo stood with it, doing nothing. Sane on a run but Zinchenko plays it back instead. Some will probably go on about us being spoiled. If I was there I would've booed that also. Losing at home and you're showing fuck all bollocks to get an equaliser. I don't care if the tie is over, I'm not having my team doing that.

I hope pep leathers them.

Very pleased sane didn't hide and tried to make it happen. Same for Diaz.

I was tempted to travel over for this game. If I forked out cash for that drivel tonight I’d be livid.

I love the fact Foden got 90 minutes and Diaz got decent time and did well.
But why do they need to be blooded with Yaya, who hasn’t got a playing future with us.
Yes our first team got a rest but, I’d love to see our youngsters get time with the likes of Kev/Dave/Fern around them.

When the example of the senior player beside them is to go at walking pace and pass backwards, that’s what you get from youngsters not wanting to make a mistake.

None of them except Sane was willing to drive forward. A real nothing game in the end. There was no intent from us st all.
Like it was just something we had to go through.

You can say we’re spoilt, but is it really fair to those turning up on the night.
I don’t know. I’m sure we’ll get over it very quickly.

I was tempted myself until we won at a canter in the first leg, always likely that last night was going to be poor fare so decided against.

Surprised to see such a large crowd there last night tbh.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby fangsanalsatan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 am

Nick wrote:3) laporte needs to start looking like he's trying. I was joking when I billed him as the French dzeko but he did a good impression of him.

More like the French Nastasic.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 am

We’re digging it Laporte after about 2 minutes now? Haha Sanè was fuckin shit the first half of last season and struggled getting in the team. Now look at him!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am

We are through 5-2 right.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:09 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Nick wrote:1) Diaz deserves a start, over foden
2) we say this every fucking time but what point is yaya ? Rather play a raw kid or CB. Two starts for foden, two losses. Cos he's next to yaya. Should have brought yaya off for keV. The kids should be getting game time in a winning team like taggart would do.
3) laporte needs to start looking like he's trying. I was joking when I billed him as the French dzeko but he did a good impression of him.

can’t argue with any of that!

Well... I'd argue ALOT on the former top #1 tbh.

Think someone pretty consistent on his football, a few pages above, pointed out Diaz is still to understand that is getting called up on a Pep's fast one-twos positional passing game... not on an Alpine slalom contest: started off surprisingly focused on instructions, tbf to the lad, but soonely looked forgetting given task and returned to usual attitude to force his way past the whole opposition on his own... talent yes... plenty to work on yet... even more so.

Foden on the other hand did not put a foot wrong... at least until the seniors around him started showing that their only aim was to get to the shower and then home soonest.

As per Laporte... he's real deal, imo, no need for early knee jerking, but it's fair to say that so far he looks like he's trying to please the Mancunian adoration for folks who stay humble and keep their heads down... ;)

Not that I am try to make a fool and put any sort of blame on the youngsters, though...

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:
Nick wrote:3) laporte needs to start looking like he's trying. I was joking when I billed him as the French dzeko but he did a good impression of him.

More like the French Nastasic.

and jesus looked like the brazilian bradbury last night
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Decent turn out last night considering the first leg result. I bought my tickets before the first leg was played and probably might not have gone last night due to it being a dead rubber. We were so sloppy with out passing. Only Sane gave me hope. Bernardo tried and Foden tried, also Diaz when he came on but it was a very poor performance overall.

Basel fans were excellent. They had two meatheads at the front orchestrating the chants, does anyone know if these people are paid by the club to do this stuff? They cannot possibly be normal every day fans, spending all that money and travel all over europe to then spend almost the entire 90 minutes with their back to the play?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby mr_nool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Decent turn out last night considering the first leg result. I bought my tickets before the first leg was played and probably might not have gone last night due to it being a dead rubber. We were so sloppy with out passing. Only Sane gave me hope. Bernardo tried and Foden tried, also Diaz when he came on but it was a very poor performance overall.

Basel fans were excellent. They had two meatheads at the front orchestrating the chants, does anyone know if these people are paid by the club to do this stuff? They cannot possibly be normal every day fans, spending all that money and travel all over europe to then spend almost the entire 90 minutes with their back to the play?

I doubt they're paid by the club. Some people get off on shit like that. It makes them feel important.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Decent turn out last night considering the first leg result. I bought my tickets before the first leg was played and probably might not have gone last night due to it being a dead rubber. We were so sloppy with out passing. Only Sane gave me hope. Bernardo tried and Foden tried, also Diaz when he came on but it was a very poor performance overall.

I doubt they're paid by the club. Some people get off on shit like that. It makes them feel important.

Some clubs around Europe do give money to these people, either in the form of official payment or 'fan club subsidies'/backhanders, which fund the travel, tickets, etc. of anything from 5 to 500 fans. It's not unknown for political parties and politically-interested individuals to slip them a bit of cash, too, which is where it gets dodgy (although I'm not suggesting this is the case with Basel).
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby mr_nool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Some clubs around Europe do give money to these people, either in the form of official payment or 'fan club subsidies'/backhanders, which fund the travel, tickets, etc. of anything from 5 to 500 fans. It's not unknown for political parties and politically-interested individuals to slip them a bit of cash, too, which is where it gets dodgy (although I'm not suggesting this is the case with Basel).

This might be a bit prejudiced, but to me that sounds mainly like a former east-bloc phenomena.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Reflections on a poor performance.The team basically had only 1 of our best starting 11 and it looked like it.

Sane stood out but looked very frustrated at the performance of the others. I didn't include Bernado as a top 11 started as I think he moves out for Sterling and to be fair to him he looked ok again and is a quality performer. Gundo has filled in really well when called on in midfield ro repace whoever but last night he just became band average but maybe that's because he was alongside Yaya.

Yaya as everyone has said was crap. Slows the game down and just hasn't got incisive play in him anymore. I wonder what he did for Pep to get selected and as captain. Foden really came into the game second half as I bet Pep had words for him to be much more positive. Well done to Diaz for his 30 minutes. Always willing to take people on.The lad has so much talent and heart.

Danilo, Zinchenko, Stones I felt were the most guilty of shoddy passing in the midfield as it was just painful to watch the lack of quality movement and play in there. Shane for Zin as I thought most of his defensive work was ok especially for a midfielder but he midfield play was awful!

And as for the keeper . He did some things quite well but I am sure we would not have lost with Ederson in goal. No way would that 2nd one have gone in.

Pep will have learned plenty.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm

mr_nool wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

This might be a bit prejudiced, but to me that sounds mainly like a former east-bloc phenomena.

Central, Eastern and Southern Europe more than Eastern Bloc, I'd say. Happens in Greece, Italy, Former Yugoslav states and Cyprus, too.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby mr_nool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:39 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Central, Eastern and Southern Europe more than Eastern Bloc, I'd say. Happens in Greece, Italy, Former Yugoslav states and Cyprus, too.

Yeah, on your reflection you're probably right. (Whether Yugoslavia was part of the Eastern Bloc or not is debatable.)
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum