Champions League Quarter Final Draw

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Champions League Quarter Final Draw

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:39 am

If we show our true selfs the one that takes over the swamp. We will win both legs.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 am

Absolutely hate the dippers. Thier fans are convinced they will brush us aside. We must beat these
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am

I do think we will beat these over 2 legs. I can't remember the last time they won something. Even under Brenda the Great they won nothing despite spending £300m in his 3 years. I just don't think they can deliver. I just wish the ties weren't surrounding the games where we can win the league.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Bear60 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 am

london blue 2 wrote:Absolutely hate the dippers. Thier fans are convinced they will brush us aside. We must beat these

Me too mate my local was full of em last night we are going to dispose of City etc etc blah blah fucking blah Sky and the BBC have written us off already FFS we had a stupid ten minutes in that game were Scoucers took advantage I am convinced Pep and the players are not going to let that happen again like you say it is a must win for us to rectify their 10 minutes of glory wankers the lot of them I am starting to dislike them as much as the rags
Last edited by Bear60 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Justified logic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:31 am

South Stand Balti wrote:I do think we will beat these over 2 legs. I can't remember the last time they won something. Even under Brenda the Great they won nothing despite spending £300m in his 3 years. I just don't think they can deliver. I just wish the ties weren't surrounding the games where we can win the league.

They beat Cardiff of the Championship on penalties to win the 2012 League Cup when Stevie's cousin missed Cardiff's fifth penalty. Surely you remember the national celebrations and global bus tour? No? Maybe you remember them beating us in the semis, when they got their penalties in early. But all that was under King Kenny.

The first leg was at City's home ground, the Etihad stadium. Liverpool won the match 1–0, courtesy of a Steven Gerrard penalty.[16] The second leg was held at Liverpool's home ground Anfield. City took the lead in the first half when Nigel de Jong scored, ten minutes later Gerrard equalised when he scored a penalty. At half-time, the score was 1–1 with Liverpool leading 2–1 on aggregate. City took the lead in the match when Edin Džeko scored in the 67th minute. The goal meant the aggregate score was 2–2 but City would progress to the final if the score remained the same due to the away goals rule. Liverpool needed to find an equaliser, and seven minutes after Džeko's goal they did, when Bellamy scored. City tried to score an equaliser but to no avail, and the match finished 2–2, with Liverpool progressing to the final courtesy of a 3–2 aggregate victory.[17]
Justified logic

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 am

I think this run of tough games could be a real positive to our season, keeping the squad really focussed and together.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm

All the Liverpool leg ends are out in force in the media.
Just waiting for Aldridge's words of wisdom.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby stevefromdonny » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm

fuck me, I don't know if Liverpool fans know that we won 5-0 all they are saying is we won 4-3 or we would of won if we had 11 men :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Bluedj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Be nice if Salah pulled a hammy
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Bluedj wrote:Be nice if Salah pulled a hammy

fractured metatarsal is my hope
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PeterParker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Wow, super performance by the amazing liverpool. City be aware :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zuricity » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Don’t care about him , went missing against the rags.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

I hope he dies.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Mase wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

I hope he dies.

in any particular way?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mase » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

I hope he dies.

in any particular way?

Gone off piece of bacon.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby freshie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Mase wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

I hope he dies.

in any particular way?

Gone off piece of bacon.

Fergie?
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 am

budfox wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Swales4ever wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Dimples wrote:Serious question.
Do people think that the draw is fixed?

I don't think the draw itself is fixed, but I think the CL has been set up in such a way as to minimize the chance of upsets, and I think referees are subconsciously influenced by the fact that if they make a mistake in favour of one of the "smaller" teams, it'll be more damaging to their career than if they do so in favour of one of the "bigger" ones.

Whatever people say about the draw being fixed, there simply isn't anything statistically overly unlikely that's happened over the years, whether you look at things from the perspective of individual clubs (who have risen and fallen in the rankings) or from the ranking positions themselves. Any other way of looking at it essentially relies on emotions, and there's probably someone on a Barca forum somewhere out there whimpering that the same 2 or 3 teams always get an 'easier' draw than them, too.

well BiB... you are right when arguing that forensic evidence will hardy ever reached... but when looking at this particular draw... it gets very hard for any sensed person not to imply the blatant obvious.
I said in advance that UEFA would have made sure to reward sponsors with a SF involving the 4 most marketing attractive sides and here we have gone.
not that I want this as any hint of my smart. :geek:

I fully commend your law abiding plea and stance, though ;)

If you're using the 'rich list' to define this, then yes, you're right. But the 4 richest clubs left in the competition weren't kept apart in 2016-17, or 2014-15, or 2013-14, or 2012-13. If you're defining 'most marketable' another way, is it how you "feel", or are you using something else to define it?

I'll repeat - I've yet to see a convincing argument with consistently applied parameters to suggest that draws are consistently beyond the realms of statistical plausibility.

I make it a 3.3/1 shot that the "big four" avoided each other today.

UEFA must be aware that accusations of draw fixing exist, it's not as if sport doesn't have a history of sharp practice. As I said earlier in the thread though, they could put the integrity of the draw beyond question if they wished to do so. Lottery systems that are properly audited and monitored exist all over the world, why not employ such a system instead of one that *could* be fixed? You can still have the pazzaz, just do it by hitting a big red button rather than drawing balls out of a hat.

Yep, that sounds about right. And if it happened, say, 6 or 7 seasons in a row (maybe even 3 or 4 in a row), that'd be pretty suspicious. But it didn't happen in 4 out of the past 6 draws.

Agree that a random number generator or similar would possibly be better, although you'd still have the tin-foil-hat gang saying that the independent system was fixed. Also, if that new system ever messed up (as we've seen with the Carabao Cup this season), UEFA would be at risk of further damaging its 'reputation' for integrity.

I'm not sure whether I read it on here, but I think the 'balls in the bag' method is actually enshrined in the rules of the FA Cup, which is one of the reasons why the FA are so reluctant to change it. Does anyone know if draws in other countries are done electronically?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 am

^^^^^

I simply do not understand why you are going through odds or whatever. Put 8 numbered table tennis balls in a machine and let the numbers get taken out like in the lotto . Job done , no human involvement at all , sequences , likely outcomes or not , remove the manipulaters.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Justified logic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:40 pm

^^^^^
^^^^^
A random number generator sounds very dull. I'm guessing you don't work in the entertainment industry. :o

Just think of the drama. The ex-Spanish or -Italian league star hits the big red button, one of the circulating balls gets trapped and winds its way through a series of tubes, faltering only briefly as it passes behind a short screen for a minion to swap in the desired ball, before landing in front of the ex-Spanish or -Italian league star to open and pass the little piece of paper to the presenter to read and show to the world.
Justified logic

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Justified logic wrote:^^^^^
^^^^^
A random number generator sounds very dull. I'm guessing you don't work in the entertainment industry. :o

Just think of the drama. The ex-Spanish or -Italian league star hits the big red button, one of the circulating balls gets trapped and winds its way through a series of tubes, faltering only briefly as it passes behind a short screen for a minion to swap in the desired ball, before landing in front of the ex-Spanish or -Italian league star to open and pass the little piece of paper to the presenter to read and show to the world.

Maybe they could get Chris Waddle to do it:

Watch on youtube.com
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum