MAX WOOSNAM

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

MAX WOOSNAM

Postby john68 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:45 am

As we have no games for a while, I thought it would be an opportune time to chuck a little biog about probably our best ever and most decorated City captain and sportsman, who seems to have got somewhat lost from our history...(if we had one!!!).

MAX WOOSNAM
Born in Crosby, near Liverpool; 6th Sept 1892....Died; 14th July 1965.

Woosnam attended Winchester College and captained bothe their cricket and golf teams, also representing them at squash.
He was selected to play for the Public Schools' cricket XI versus the MCC at Lords and made 144 not out, and 33 not out.

In 1911, he went to Cambridge, where he became captain of their football team and gained his 'blue' at cricket, lawn tennis, real tennis, he was also a scratch golfer.

He was on tour in Brazil with the Corinthian Casuals when WW1 broke out and fought on the Western Frony and at the hell hole that was Gallipoli.

The thing about Woosnam was his belief in the Corinthian spirit of amateurism and though he found the concept of proffessional sport a tad vulgar, his pro team mates chose him to captain the British football team at the Antwerp Olympics of 1920. Woosnam had to refuse the honour as he had already agreed to play on the British Olympic tennis team.
In 1920, he made the 2nd round of the Olympic tennis singles, won a gold medal in the doubles and an Olympic silver medal in the mixed doubles.
In 1921, he won the Wimbledon mens' doubles title and reached the final of the Wimbledon mixed doubles.
In 1923, he reached the QFs of the Wimbledon mens' singles.
Among his other honours, Woosnam also made a 147 atsnooker, made a century at Lords, captained the British Davis Cup team, as well as captaining the England football team.

He signed on amateur terms for City on 1st Jan 1920 and played for City until 1925, winning a League runners up medal in 1920-21.He made 96 appearances for the Blues and scored 5 goals.

When he signed for City, he was employed by Crossleys and was required to work on a Saturday morning. That meant he was unable to play away games and could only play in home games. During the season, City lost away 0-3 at Leicester City and City fans blamed Crossleys for not letting Woosnam play. Crossleys ordered Woosnam to play for City and he never missed another game.

As popular as Woosnam was, he was hated by Charlie Chaplin, who felt Woosnam had insulted him and taken the piss. While playing for the British Davis Cup team in America, Chaplin invited the team to his Hollywood home. He challenged Woosnam to a game of table tennis. Woosnam swapped his bat for a dinner knife and still beat Chaplin....I think that would have pissed me off too.

I reckon Woosnam was on helluva sportsman.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Re: MAX WOOSNAM

Postby nottsblue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 am

Wow. That is one helluva sportsman.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby steelsnail » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:25 am

Wow what an interesting read . What a sportsman he was.
steelsnail
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Zabs

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 am

Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Return to The Maine Football forum