Uefa rule changes for next season's CL

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Uefa rule changes for next season's CL

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am

http://global.espn.com/football/blog-ue ... extra-time

Teams participating in UEFA's club competitions next season will be able to use new signings who have already played in the tournament for their former sides and make a fourth substitute in extra time.

These changes were among several announced by European football's governing body on Tuesday and they follow decisions made by UEFA's executive committee in February and the game's law-making body, the International Football Association Board, earlier this month.

The decision to let clubs register three new players "without any restrictions" after the group stages, however, may be more controversial, as it effectively ends the idea of being cup-tied.

If the rule was in place this year, Philippe Coutinho would be able to play for Barcelona in the Champions League, despite already featuring for Liverpool.

It also would have helped end ambiguity surrounding the eligibility of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who joined Arsenal in January.

Only Mkhitaryan, who joined from Manchester United, has been able to appear in Europa League games while Aubameyang, who moved from Borussia Dortmund, said earlier this month he is "really frustrated" that he cannot.

"This is in line with the existing regulatory situation in the different domestic leagues, which does not impose restrictions on the eligibility for competitions of players registered for a new club during the winter transfer window," UEFA said in a statement explaining its decision to end the "cup tied" rule.

From next season, clubs reaching the Super Cup and the finals of the Champions League and Europa League will be able to have 12 substitutes on the bench -- up from the usual seven.

In the statement, UEFA said this will give "coaches more flexibility regarding substitutes, and facilitate their squad management for the most important fixture of the season."

A fourth substitute in extra time has already been trialled by UEFA in age-group tournaments and is allowed in this season's FA Cup.

The governing body also announced new kickoff times.

Champions League playoffs, group-stage games and knock-out matches will now kick off at 9 p.m. CET, but in the group stages, two of the games on Tuesday and Wednesday will start at 6:55 p.m. CET, apart from on the last matchday, when they will be played simultaneously.

Europa League games will be split between these two kickoff times until the quarterfinals, when they will all start at 9 p.m. CET. The Super Cup will also kick off at 9 p.m. CET.

The split kickoffs may cause headaches for domestic schedules as nobody will want to schedule a game against televised European games. Two years ago, UEFA was annoyed when Manchester United's FA Cup replay at West Ham United was held at the same time as a Champions League quarterfinal, and Barcelona have played a league game in the earlier slot this season.

Another change announced on Tuesday was to allow clubs that have won the Europa League -- or its forerunner, the UEFA Cup -- three times in a row or five times in total to wear a multiple-winner badge on their shirt sleeves.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Uefa rule changes for next season's CL

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am

5.55pm kickoff UK time for a midweek CL fixture is just nonsense.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 am

I'm okay with the ending the cup-tied rule, it was a nonsense anyway.

They will need some long benches or deck chairs to accommodate all the subs at a CL Final. Will they all get medals?

The early kick off time is pathetic, but since I no longer go to CL games for a host of other reasons, wont affect me too much.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:47 am

Wonderwall wrote:5.55pm kickoff UK time for a midweek CL fixture is just nonsense.

imagine if we had games kicking off at 845/9pm like they do on the continent....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby nottsblue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:07 am

Wonderwall wrote:5.55pm kickoff UK time for a midweek CL fixture is just nonsense.

Can see why they've done it though. Maximises TV revenue. The fans haven't been an important consideration for some time now
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sheblue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:28 am

5:55...... Fans are so far down the list of priorities now. Its sad.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:48 am

I'd rather a few people miss the kick-off of games they're watching on TV in the UK than kids and families being excluded from going to the stadium in Eastern Europe by the ridiculously late kick-offs that currently happen there. Glad UEFA has thought about fans actually going to the games for a change, rather than their TV audiences.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:53 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:

I'd rather a few people miss the kick-off of games they're watching on TV in the UK than kids and families being excluded from going to the stadium in Eastern Europe by the ridiculously late kick-offs that currently happen there. Glad UEFA has thought about fans actually going to the games for a change, rather than their TV audiences.

Guarantee 100% - attendances won’t improve in those shit hole countries.
Last edited by Mase on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:55 am

Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Guarantee 100% attendances won’t improve in those shit hole countries.

real family atmospheres in those 3rd world eastern european stadiums...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Guarantee 100% attendances won’t improve in those shit hole countries.

real family atmospheres in those 3rd world eastern european stadiums...

And that's the problem. If the kick-off times aren't conducive to kids and families going, then nothing's ever going to change.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby mr_nool » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 pm

The daft thing is having fixed times for the fixtures no matter what time zone they're played in.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 pm

I bet it won't be too long before CL games are on weekends, Saturday night Sunday evening to maximise tv money advertising etc...
They will change the domestic league games to mid week when the CL games are on. And those mid week domestic games can start whenever they want. They won't give a fook.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Return to The Maine Football forum