Sheikh Mansour

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sheikh Mansour

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:wonder if he still complains about that money we wasted on bony. wife is prob sick of hearing it.

which one?
SOLID POSTER
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Postby CuteMancs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm

PeterParker wrote:Have to wonder, why us?

Why did he choose us?

The story I heard was that they were looking at four clubs, City, Everton, Newcastle and Arsenal. The criteria, apart from actual cost of the club was existing fan base, stadium and business strategy. We just ticked all the boxes.

Not sure where I heard this, but I think it was a 93.20 podcast. I am old and senile now, and much beer has flowed under the bridge, so I could be wrong

I usually treat my body like a temple. Last night I treated mine like a whorehouse above a liquor store next to a motherfucking Taco Bell.
CuteMancs
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:wonder if he still complains about that money we wasted on bony. wife is prob sick of hearing it.

which one?

touche
Sideshow Bob
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:34 pm

CuteMancs wrote:

Why did he choose us?

The story I heard was that they were looking at four clubs, City, Everton, Newcastle and Arsenal. The criteria, apart from actual cost of the club was existing fan base, stadium and business strategy. We just ticked all the boxes.

Not sure where I heard this, but I think it was a 93.20 podcast. I am old and senile now, and much beer has flowed under the bridge, so I could be wrong

It was Gary Cook who sold them the dream after Thaksin made the introductions.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby edge275 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:34 pm

CuteMancs wrote:

Why did he choose us?

This might be somewhat unpopular, but Garry Cook gave them a presentation, and he unashamedly told them that since both Manchester City and Manchester United have 'Manchester' in their name, they can piggy bank off how well known the name 'Manchester' is from the rags' success when it comes to branding and trying to market the club worldwide. The Sheikh understood the logic of that, and was totally on board with it.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby carolina-blue » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 pm

edge275 wrote:
CuteMancs wrote:

Why did he choose us?

This might be somewhat unpopular, but Garry Cook gave them a presentation, and he unashamedly told them that since both Manchester City and Manchester United have 'Manchester' in their name, they can piggy bank off how well known the name 'Manchester' is from the rags' success when it comes to branding and trying to market the club worldwide. The Sheikh understood the logic of that, and was totally on board with it.

I liked Gary Cooke met him in Atlanta few years back really nice guy
carolina-blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby edge275 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

carolina-blue wrote:
edge275 wrote:
CuteMancs wrote:

Why did he choose us?

I liked Gary Cooke met him in Atlanta few years back really nice guy

Pasted a bit from an article about him with some quotes:

-------------------------------------

And no doubt, he will cast his mind back to May 2008, when he took up Thaksin Shinawatra’s offer to quit his role in charge of Brand Jordan at Nike to become City’s chief executive.

It didn't take him long to discover that the former prime minister of Thailand was too beleaguered by accusations of human rights abuses and fraud in his homeland to be concerned by the state of his Premier League investment.

“It took me about 10 days to inform Shinawatra that he had no option but to find a buyer for the club,” Cook revealed. “If he hadn’t taken my advice, then the consequences for City would have been absolutely disastrous.

“I have to be honest here, we were in an extremely bad and precarious place. We were standing on the edge of the precipice.

“The model being used wasn’t sustainable. For example, we were leveraging money against future ­television revenues to put deposits down for new players.

“That, in itself, is a dangerous ­position to be in. But it was just the tip of the iceberg.

“It got to the point where John Wardle, the former City chairman who had sold the club to Shinawatra, was lending us money to pay the wages.

“John was an integral part of keeping City afloat. But, even with his generosity, City were, quite literally, just moments away from it all going horribly wrong.

“Thankfully, I was able to sell Sheikh Mansour – or at least the people who work for him – the dream I had for the club when I decided to leave Nike.

“It was a perfect storm. City couldn’t have been in a worse situation and Abu Dhabi was looking to invest in a Premier League football club as a vehicle to promote the nation."

More than £1billion has since been spent transforming a club that had become synonymous with glorious failure. But Cook soon found out that throwing money at problems that had dogged City for decades wasn't the only solution.

He also had to win the hearts of minds of those people who already had a huge emotional stake in the club.

“I still have the Power Point presentation that I made to executives of the Abu Dhabi United Group,” Cook added.

“There were three other clubs who Abu Dhabi were looking at, but we ticked all the boxes: We could deliver the name Manchester - and I admit that I unashamedly used the global recognition of our rivals Manchester United to push our cause; we could deliver the name City - something that could become a powerful brand - and we could also deliver a fantastic stadium surrounded by 200 acres of land that was ripe for development.

-------------------------------------

Cook Link
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby aristation » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Remember this thread on Sunday and the Huddersfield game we do not show our respect and sing his nameoften enough
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm

aristation wrote:Remember this thread on Sunday and the Huddersfield game we do not show our respect and sing his nameoften enough

the best run football clubs have owners you rarely hear from...
SOLID POSTER
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Postby Dameerto » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
aristation wrote:Remember this thread on Sunday and the Huddersfield game we do not show our respect and sing his nameoften enough

True that. I get the impression he likes being in the background.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am

Dameerto wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Would love for him to come over for the trophy presentation though.
Mase
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Bournemouthcityfan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Your excellency I have supported this club since 1963 but what you have done for me is miraculous. You have a superb chairman very smart himself and he has very smart staff and they all have done a superb job.
My eternal thanks to you for making my dreams true.
Bournemouthcityfan
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sergio Augero

Postby zuricity » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Bournemouthcityfan wrote:Your excellency I have supported this club since 1963 but what you have done for me is miraculous. You have a superb chairman very smart himself and he has very smart staff and they all have done a superb job.
My eternal thanks to you for making my dreams true.

Yer soft bugger !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Paul Power's Tash

Postby zuricity » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Mase wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

So you can dick him for selling the love of your life ?
:roll:
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

zuricity wrote:
Mase wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

So you can dick him for selling the love of your life ?
:roll:

Kolarov is a peacock mate - he needed to flap his wings.
Mase
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum