Who should go, who should come?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Who should go, who should come?

Postby Guy Debord » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:37 am

Julian Weigl
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 am

A solid left back is a must. Either from the eds or bought. We got away with it this season but if we want to retain the title or play in the cl final we need another left back. Considering we're now attacking mostly down the flanks it's a must IMO.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:02 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:A solid left back is a must. Either from the eds or bought. We got away with it this season but if we want to retain the title or play in the cl final we need another left back. Considering we're now attacking mostly down the flanks it's a must IMO.

Angelino to challenge Mendy? For me that would be the sensible option. If Angelino doesn't cut it we always have the fall back of Delph/Zinchenko/Danilo and then next summer we can dip back in to the market for a left back.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am

For me this is a must

A challenger for Fernandinho: Fred, Goretzka, Weigl, Emre Can (?)
Someone up front with the passing kings: Isco, Felipe Anderson
Left back: It all depends if Mendy will recover or not.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby mr_nool » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:23 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:A solid left back is a must. Either from the eds or bought. We got away with it this season but if we want to retain the title or play in the cl final we need another left back. Considering we're now attacking mostly down the flanks it's a must IMO.

Angelino to challenge Mendy? For me that would be the sensible option. If Angelino doesn't cut it we always have the fall back of Delph/Zinchenko/Danilo and then next summer we can dip back in to the market for a left back.

Angelino is playing in one of the worst teams in the Dutch league. But that said, he's been their stand-out player together with Manu Garcia.
He should definitely get the chance to make a mark during pre-season.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

luke shaw???
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:56 am

If Dybala spent less time trying to con the ref and concentrated on his game he could be very very good.

That said I've not seen a great deal of his games but in those I have he has been consistent in the above
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby john68 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 pm

I s'pose the question that must be asked is "Could this player (potentially) be a member of a City team good enough to win the CL?" As we have seen vast improvements in so many players this season, the answer for most of the kids on the periphery of the squad has to be "We simply do not know yet."

Ederson; Good enough now but should get even better.
Walker; YES
Kompany: YES, but unlikely to offer us a full season of fitness.
Stones; Good player, greatly improved, but still has a mistake waiting to happen in him.....as it stands...NO
Otamendi: Named in the Premier League of the Season team but too slow and mistake ridden at the very top level...NO
Mendy: Not enough, need to see how he develops, DON'T KNOW
Fernandinho; YES, but will need replacing soon and needs back up to lighten his season long burden.
Gundogan; Has shown he is good enough in flashes but maybe needs time to improve further...DON'T KNOW
KDB; YES
Silva; YES
Sterling; Still needs more improvement but has shown enough...YES
Bernardo; Has shown enough but not had enough game time yet...YES
Sane; YES
Jesus; YES
Aguero; YES
The likes of Delph, Zinchenko, Laporte have shown they can come in and do a job but I don't think any of them are the finished article yet but worth keeping.

Who to bring in....I haven't a clue. Pephas bought players I hadn't heard of that have surprised me. I'll leave incomings to the expert.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mase » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 pm

‘Otamendi: Named in the Premier League of the Season team but too slow and mistake ridden at the very top level...NO‘

Except he’s been our best defender this year and has just signed a long term contract.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john68 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Which suggests that our defence needs a complete overhaul if we are to compete at the very highest level.

The quality needed week in week out in the Prem is fine but whan pitted against the very best in the World, our central defence just isn't good enough for where we want to be.

Kompany is injury prone with no guarantees and Stones can mentally wander off at times, Otamendi hasn't the pace to cope with the very best and has a tendency to go charging in and give away set pieces in dangerous positions.

The stated aim of our owners is to dominate global football. Think that says it all really.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby nottsblue » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Perhaps we should do what the rags and dippers before them did and what Bayern and Barca and Madrid do. Buy the best players from your rivals, thus weakening them at the same time as strengthening your own squad.

Thus, lodge bids for Kane, Salah, Willian. If nothing else it unsettles the club and player.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 pm

PeterParker wrote:A challenger for Fernandinho: Fred, Goretzka, Weigl, Emre Can (?).

Goretzka has already signed for Bayern pal
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Mase » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

john68 wrote:Which suggests that our defence needs a complete overhaul if we are to compete at the very highest level.

The quality needed week in week out in the Prem is fine but whan pitted against the very best in the World, our central defence just isn't good enough for where we want to be.

Kompany is injury prone with no guarantees and Stones can mentally wander off at times, Otamendi hasn't the pace to cope with the very best and has a tendency to go charging in and give away set pieces in dangerous positions.

The stated aim of our owners is to dominate global football. Think that says it all really.

We’ve conceded the least amount of goals in the Prem this season. How does the defence need a ‘complete overhaul’?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:56 pm

john68 wrote:Which suggests that our defence needs a complete overhaul if we are to compete at the very highest level.

That's a strange statement give we were knocked out of the CL by the scouse scum.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby john68 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:21 am

Not sure I understand what’s strange about it Peter,
Whatever the strengths or weaknesses of our defence, we won the Prem with games left to play. Domestically we were fine.
I still think that it is against World clas players from the top European sides that we could be found out.
I don’t suggest our players are poor, but question whether they arr solid enough to dominate as our owners want.
john68

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:18 am

I honestly think our 4 cbs are all good enough but fitness and form needs to be key when selecting teams for big games.

We need a left back. Probably a right back too as Danilo isn’t top drawer in all honesty.

Delph and Gundogan should be Ferns backup/competition but neither stay fit, so another to come in but does one need to go?

Another central striker that can also play deeper or wider so nobody sits out long stretches.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby mr_nool » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am

I think it's more about the system than the personell. Our set up works great against lesser opponents, but it leaves our defence very vulnerable against strong teams. It sometimes feel like we're going into CL fixtures a bit like Rocky Balboa: in an all or nothing slugfest never ever putting our guard up.
I.e. no matter who we put back there, we will from time to time get run over by good sides if things don't go our way. The margins are very fine. Just look at Pep's CL record with Barca and Bayern as well, and the pattern is clear to see.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 am

john68 wrote:Not sure I understand what’s strange about it Peter,
Whatever the strengths or weaknesses of our defence, we won the Prem with games left to play. Domestically we were fine.
I still think that it is against World clas players from the top European sides that we could be found out.
I don’t suggest our players are poor, but question whether they arr solid enough to dominate as our owners want.

Who would you bring in to our defence to make us better in Europe?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am

Can't really get my head around the "we need a new left back " thing. We have Mendy who was seen as the perfect solution for a Pep team and in his absence Delph has done a magnificent job for us. What's the problem?

IF we do look for another left back he knows he would be number 2 to Mendy so what top level player is likely to come?

Center backs maybe we could do with a special defensive player there ,Van Dyk might have been that player, but he has gone.Certainly another sitting midfield player of top quality and I think maybe Liverpool have got as good as there is for that role coming in. I hold out some hope that Fred isn't a definite no.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PeterParker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
PeterParker wrote:A challenger for Fernandinho: Fred, Goretzka, Weigl, Emre Can (?).

Goretzka has already signed for Bayern pal

Fuck.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum