Phil Foden

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Phil Foden

Postby Spurge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Lets not get carried away but.....i think he could be the long term replacement for david silva
I mean why not?
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Re: Phil Foden

Postby stevefromdonny » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 pm

he did have a couple of moments put a decent pass in when going around 4 Swansea players
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby john68 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Of all the kids I’ve seen over the years, Foden is up there with the best.
The big advantage he has now is that he trains daily with some of the World’s greatest players, under probably the World’s greatest coach.
If he can’t help but develop in that regime.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 pm

What impressed me the most is he’s ALWAYS looking to get involved. Showing constantly as an option whilst we have the ball.

He definitely seemed more the Silva type than KDB. Good with the ball in closed spaces.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby zuricity » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:15 pm

“Is a very naughty boy”
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Spurge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Came on in 71st min and completed 21 passes. More than any swansea player.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Bluedj » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Thought he was excellent today. Wanted the ball all the time. Some great tidy footwork in some very tight spaces. Looking forward to watching this kid develop
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 pm

I’m also glad he seems like he’s got the right attitude - unlike that Sancho that was missing training constantly.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Hopefully we see a lot more of him in the final few days.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Mase wrote:I’m also glad he seems like he’s got the right attitude - unlike that Sancho that was missing training constantly.

Not sure about missing training constantly, just the last period when he wasn't signing a contract but make no mistake Sancho is a fabulous talent and will make it at the top level
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Mase wrote:I’m also glad he seems like he’s got the right attitude - unlike that Sancho that was missing training constantly.

Not sure about missing training constantly, just the last period when he wasn't signing a contract but make no mistake Sancho is a fabulous talent and will make it at the top level

He missed it on more than one occasion toward the end. Spat his dummy out like the little twat he is.

Even if he missed it once - that’s a shit attitude.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby JamieMCFC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Being reported that Dortmund is interested in Foden.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:28 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:Being reported that Dortmund is interested in Foden.

They need to hurry up if they want him, they'll struggle to get a visa for him if they don't do it before March.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:19 pm

I am sure that they are not the only ones.
But seriously, we need to start giving him more premier league game time, and Diaz too. Although I do agree that the latter will be on his bike, and that's a shame.
Its not an easy one. Its a results business.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:41 pm

sheblue wrote:

I am sure that they are not the only ones.
But seriously, we need to start giving him more premier league game time, and Diaz too. Although I do agree that the latter will be on his bike, and that's a shame.
Its not an easy one. Its a results business.

I agree Diaz may be on his bike, but not necessarily.
It really comes down to the individual and what they want. Look at the likes of Zinchenko who is only a little bit older and got himself a bit part last year.
I appreciate he didn't come through the academy the same as the other pair, but the difficulty in securing a place rather than going out on loan is the same.
He looked to be out the door but chose to stay and fight for game time and learn more, no doubt.
I admire that and would certainly hope it would be the attitude of both others.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 pm

IWT youre spot on about Oleks but his situation is slightly different from Foden's and Diaz's. Oleks was able to be utilized in a postion where the top 2 players are injury prone. Diaz and Foden have Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Silva, Bernardo, KDB, Gundogan, & to a lesser extent Jesus in their positions ahead of them. For Diaz or Foden to get a continuous run of games like Oleks had last season we'd have to suffer an almighty injury crisis. There are just too many established players ahead of them that can play in basically every position in midfield.

I dont see how Foden and Diaz have a chance getting a decent amount of game time--and I'm not talking about 12 minutes at the end of match.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:IWT youre spot on about Oleks but his situation is slightly different from Foden's and Diaz's. Oleks was able to be utilized in a postion where the top 2 players are injury prone. Diaz and Foden have Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Silva, Bernardo, KDB, Gundogan, & to a lesser extent Jesus in their positions ahead of them. For Diaz or Foden to get a continuous run of games like Oleks had last season we'd have to suffer an almighty injury crisis. There are just too many established players ahead of them that can play in basically every position in midfield.

I dont see how Foden and Diaz have a chance getting a decent amount of game time--and I'm not talking about 12 minutes at the end of match.

Zinchenko's natural position is pretty similar to Foden. If young Phil had been one year further in his development it could have been him filling in at left back. Chance, luck and circumstances play a big part.

That said, I do believe Pep rates Foden higher than the Zinch and probably wouldn't like to waste his talent as fullback. He will get his chances this season.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:IWT youre spot on about Oleks but his situation is slightly different from Foden's and Diaz's. Oleks was able to be utilized in a postion where the top 2 players are injury prone. Diaz and Foden have Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Silva, Bernardo, KDB, Gundogan, & to a lesser extent Jesus in their positions ahead of them. For Diaz or Foden to get a continuous run of games like Oleks had last season we'd have to suffer an almighty injury crisis. There are just too many established players ahead of them that can play in basically every position in midfield.

Zinchenko's natural position is pretty similar to Foden. If young Phil had been one year further in his development it could have been him filling in at left back. Chance, luck and circumstances play a big part.

That said, I do believe Pep rates Foden higher than the Zinch and probably wouldn't like to waste his talent as fullback. He will get his chances this season.

I appreciate what Saul is saying and it is difficult for Diaz in particular. Personally I think we could have done without spending on Mahrez and we could have taken the chance on Diaz filling the squad place.

Money saved could have gone on a proper replacement for Fern.

But I agree with Noolie, I think Pep rates Foden and will want to keep him around.

It really is up to the individuals what they want. Do they wish to wait and learn. Be adaptable. Take the chances you get wherever you get them. I don’t blame Sancho for going as it’s a bold move to move abroad. I think he’ll learn a lot in life alone.
But Diaz going back to Spain would, to me, seem like an easier option than staying and learning under Pep. Which is more character building?
I genuinely don’t know. It really is between him the club and Pep. Same for Foden.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Mase wrote:What impressed me the most is he’s ALWAYS looking to get involved. Showing constantly as an option whilst we have the ball.

He definitely seemed more the Silva type than KDB. Good with the ball in closed spaces.

Agreed. I’ve also been impressed how smart he seems to be on the pitch. keeps it simple most of times but is capable of stepping up at the right time (like his through ball v..oxford?) instead of trying too hard as is often the case with young kids when they come on.

Good start, keep working hard lad!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:07 am

mr_nool wrote:

That last bit is correct. I know that Oleks is a midfielder like Foden but apart from that random Shakhtar match I dont think Foden would ever be wasted at fullback even if we had a crisis. Thats why he's in a log-jam but Zinchenko got an extended run of matches last season.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum