One if the greatest teams ever?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

One if the greatest teams ever?

Postby The Maine Man » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Every time the question of greatness is brought up by the media we are dismissed as having not performed over several seasons and not won trophies. Now we have 2 pots and while I know we will need a CL to be credible to many, I am excited at the prospect of 100 goals and 100 points. The press would have to dub us the Centurions which puts us well up with the Invincibles who achieved their feat with far less impressive stats than us.
Centurions this season, defend the title, add the Chumps League and they cannot deny this is a great team.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Re: One if the greatest teams ever?

Postby nottsblue » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:04 pm

One easy way to shut folks up who blather on about consistency of a number of years is to ask them who they think are the worlds best teams.

Any football fan who is worth his/her salt would name Brazil 1970. A team who were good for a summer tournament. Six or seven games. We have been magnificent for 34 games and counting in the PL and numerous others in the Cups.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby branny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:19 pm

The Maine Man wrote:Every time the question of greatness is brought up by the media we are dismissed as having not performed over several seasons and not won trophies. Now we have 2 pots and while I know we will need a CL to be credible to many, I am excited at the prospect of 100 goals and 100 points. The press would have to dub us the Centurions which puts us well up with the Invincibles who achieved their feat with far less impressive stats than us.
Centurions this season, defend the title, add the Chumps League and they cannot deny this is a great team.

We've pissed the Epl when it's at its most competitive. The Dippers had free reign with little competition. The rags success coincided with the advent of the Premier league which gave them extra exposure and income. They had little competition apart from Blackburn briefly and Arsenal every other season until Abramovich came along. Them we joined the party and now the Dippers are re-emerging and even Spurs are regularly top four. It's no longer a two horse race which is why it's harder to win back to back. We won't get the credit though because of what others have done previously in a less competitive environment.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby BookJunior » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:57 pm

The Maine Man wrote:Every time the question of greatness is brought up by the media we are dismissed as having not performed over several seasons and not won trophies. Now we have 2 pots and while I know we will need a CL to be credible to many, I am excited at the prospect of 100 goals and 100 points. The press would have to dub us the Centurions which puts us well up with the Invincibles who achieved their feat with far less impressive stats than us.

I'd say our greatest ever although an interesting exercise would be to speculate what players from the '70s would improve today's team.

Colin Bell for Fernandinho;
Joe Corrigan for Ederson;
Mike Doyle for Otamendi;
Mike Summerbee for Sterling;

Struggling after that but a very close call between

Dennis Tueart for Leroy Sane?
Dave Watson for Vinny Kompany?

Also there would be some amazing subs like Asa Hartford, Peter Barnes, Willie Donachie, Tommy Booth, Alan Oakes and obviously the current generation.

The competition in some places would be very intense.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby BookJunior » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:03 pm

branny wrote:

We've pissed the Epl when it's at its most competitive. The Dippers had free reign with little competition. The rags success coincided with the advent of the Premier league which gave them extra exposure and income. They had little competition apart from Blackburn briefly and Arsenal every other season until Abramovich came along. Them we joined the party and now the Dippers are re-emerging and even Spurs are regularly top four. It's no longer a two horse race which is why it's harder to win back to back. We won't get the credit though because of what others have done previously in a less competitive environment.

Correct. I noted the same thing as did Manuel Pellegrini.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby john68 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 am

Personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck what others with their warped agendas think of City, nor how they are doing their level best to downgrade our performances.
In a few years, they'll all be dead and their words forgotten but City's record will still stand.

Whatever they think or say doesn't change our experience of seeing some the best ever (if not the best ever), footbal;l ever played by and English club side.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:53 am

BookJunior wrote:

I'd say our greatest ever although an interesting exercise would be to speculate what players from the '70s would improve today's team.

Mike Doyle for Otamendi;

Also there would be some amazing subs like Asa Hartford, Peter Barnes, Willie Donachie, Tommy Booth, Alan Oakes and obviously the current generation.

Corrigan for Ederson!!! That is a joke I assume.

And Bell is no way a replacement for Fern. Totally different players
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:03 am

BookJunior wrote:

Mike Doyle for Otamendi;

I think you mean Summerbee for Sanè. Sterling is head and shoulders above him.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Slim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 am

If the invincibles are considered a great team. Where is the CL trophy they won to be credible?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby RodneyRodney » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:43 am

BookJunior wrote:

Mike Doyle for Otamendi;

Of that lot above , I'd only see Watson,Tueart and Bell getting into this team.
To those 3 , I'd add Lake,maybe SWP. Hartford too perhaps , in the Fernandinho role.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 am

Slim wrote:

If the invincibles are considered a great team. Where is the CL trophy they won to be credible?

Or the defence of their title.

It's funny that they tell us that we have to do it over a couple of years and then cite a team's performance from one specific season to compare us.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby patrickblue » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Mase wrote:
BookJunior wrote:

Mike Doyle for Otamendi;

So where would Kolarov fit in?
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
BookJunior wrote:

Mike Doyle for Otamendi;

Right in Mase's jacksy I would think
:D
Original Dub

Postby Mase » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:09 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
BookJunior wrote:

Mike Doyle for Otamendi;

Kolarov could literally play in any position.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby edge275 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Providing the end of the season goes the way we expect, we will be statistically the best team ever in English football.

Most points, most goals and best goal difference. Can’t be argued with.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm

edge275 wrote:Providing the end of the season goes the way we expect, we will be statistically the best team ever in English football.

Most points, most goals and best goal difference. Can’t be argued with.

Exactly. And on course to have the biggest gap at the top, I think? Certainly would have helped if the raga hadn't gotten a late winner yesterday
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum