Things that need fixing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Things that need fixing

Postby Dimples » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 pm

mr_nool wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Our performances against liverpuddle .

This

We need to get the monkey off our back.

This is really the only thing.

As much as we hate to admit it, we have a massive psychological hurdle against Liverpool.

Despite them being a far inferior team to us, when we play against every single one of our players falls to pieces.

Every other team we turn up and play our game and control the match. We need a big win at Anfield next season to break this hoodoo.

Inferior squad, but not team. They don't have the depth to challenge for a whope season, but their top level in single games is very close to ours.

This is exaggerated in my view.

We beat them 5-0 at home in the PL.
In the CL first leg they 'scored' an offside goal, we had a legit goal 'disallowed'. (3-0 instead of 2-1 despite our bus being attacked)
In the CL second leg we played them of the park in the first half and had a perfect goal 'disallowed' (1-0 instead of 2-0)
I discount everything that happened in the CL second leg second half - you cannot determine the effect those corrupt decisions had.

The only 'fair' drubbing we had was the PL match at Anfield.
We disintegrated in the second half. (Stones was bullied of the ball - I am ok with that decision).
Liverpool were very good in that match.

We are a lot better again'st Liverpool than we are given credit for - but we do need a win at Anfield.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby mr_nool » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Dimples wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Our performances against liverpuddle .

This

As much as we hate to admit it, we have a massive psychological hurdle against Liverpool.

Despite them being a far inferior team to us, when we play against every single one of our players falls to pieces.

Every other team we turn up and play our game and control the match. We need a big win at Anfield next season to break this hoodoo.

Inferior squad, but not team. They don't have the depth to challenge for a whope season, but their top level in single games is very close to ours.

In the CL first leg they 'scored' an offside goal, we had a legit goal 'disallowed'. (3-0 instead of 2-1 despite our bus being attacked)
In the CL second leg we played them of the park in the first half and had a perfect goal 'disallowed' (1-0 instead of 2-0)
I discount everything that happened in the CL second leg second half - you cannot determine the effect those corrupt decisions had.

We disintegrated in the second half. (Stones was bullied of the ball - I am ok with that decision).

We are a lot better again'st Liverpool than we are given credit for - but we do need a win at Anfield.

How the fuck is that exaggerated? We are much better over a whole season, but looking at single games they are very close to us. In fact, they won 3 out of 4 matches against us this season. Yes, there been dubious calls in all of them, but am I really exaggerating when I say that their top performances can match ours? Get your head out of your arse mate.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby patrickblue » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Dimples wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
This

How the fuck is that exaggerated? We are much better over a whole season, but looking at single games they are very close to us. In fact, they won 3 out of 4 matches against us this season. Yes, there been dubious calls in all of them, but am I really exaggerating when I say that their top performances can match ours? Get your head out of your arse mate.

I'd say that best eleven against best eleven, we're the better team. Truth is that for some reason we bottle it against them, time after time.
A bit like we used to against Everton. That's what we need to sort.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:09 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote: They won't allow a final to start with a huge number of fans booing the crap out of their anthem. So that would be my thing that needs fixing.

With sponsor tickets, opposition fans, and people on our special cup schemes being prioritized for tickets, how many people who boo the anthem will be in the stadium? 7k at most, I'd bet.

The majority of fans in the stadium are on the cup scheme, including me.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby john68 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 am

ll teams have a spectrum of performances, some good, some ok and some poor. It's the re4ason that on any day, any team can beat another.
Even though City have run away with the league, we've had our bad days.
The difference is that the best teams are the ones that for whatever reasons have the most good days the most often.
Liverpool are a good side capable of some excellent performances, but not often enough to really challenge us over a season.

Klipperty has an excellent record against Pep's sides, he is one of the few, maybe the only one who has worked out how to beat us. Added to that, I think that Liverpool are an emotional club, capable of lifting themselves on a wave of emotion for what they perceive as those special games. Sadly for them, emotion is not enough to get them through the season.
We saw similar with Arsenal over the years, playing some beautiful football but unable to attain that level suffiently over a season.

With City, we have reached a level of performance that is consistantly high over almost all the season. Our football doesn't ride any emotional waves, it is planned, strategic and successful often enough to give us success.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 am

john68 wrote:ll teams have a spectrum of performances, some good, some ok and some poor. It's the re4ason that on any day, any team can beat another.
Even though City have run away with the league, we've had our bad days.
The difference is that the best teams are the ones that for whatever reasons have the most good days the most often.
Liverpool are a good side capable of some excellent performances, but not often enough to really challenge us over a season.

Klipperty has an excellent record against Pep's sides, he is one of the few, maybe the only one who has worked out how to beat us. Added to that, I think that Liverpool are an emotional club, capable of lifting themselves on a wave of emotion for what they perceive as those special games. Sadly for them, emotion is not enough to get them through the season.
We saw similar with Arsenal over the years, playing some beautiful football but unable to attain that level suffiently over a season.

With City, we have reached a level of performance that is consistantly high over almost all the season. Our football doesn't ride any emotional waves, it is planned, strategic and successful often enough to give us success.

Well put john, very true.
Original Dub

Postby City64 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:28 am

Liverpool’s performances dipped alarmingly after playing us because they put so much effort into the games against us , they then drew with bottom club WBA and next to bottom Stoke . They are a staggering number of points behind us they haven’t a chance of winning the league neither have Spurs in the near future but just let the media carry on with its love affair with these two pretenders and under achievers of football clubs . Take Salah and Kane out of both teams they become average . As long as Pep is here for another 2 or 3 years no other team in the PL can touch us over a season . Rags will be our biggest threat and they also are miles behind us basically hoping we become shit again over night .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 am

The only thing I would fix from a tactical point of view is the over playing. In the league game with the dippers at Anfield we overplayed and they took the ball off us. All they do is press us like mad around our box and we fall apart. The last ten minutes before half time was the same at West Ham. Laporte for eg was pissing around with the ball and we fell apart. I understand we play from the back and I like it but over playing seems so obviously wrong. Klipperty has high energy players who do the press well but it's not rocket science.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am

South Stand Balti wrote:The only thing I would fix from a tactical point of view is the over playing. In the league game with the dippers at Anfield we overplayed and they took the ball off us. All they do is press us like mad around our box and we fall apart. The last ten minutes before half time was the same at West Ham. Laporte for eg was pissing around with the ball and we fell apart. I understand we play from the back and I like it but over playing seems so obviously wrong. Klipperty has high energy players who do the press well but it's not rocket science.

Against three fast pressing forwards we can't fuck about with it at the back. They'll only need us to make one mistake and they'll pounce.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Outcast » Tue May 01, 2018 10:11 am

South Stand Balti wrote:The only thing I would fix from a tactical point of view is the over playing. In the league game with the dippers at Anfield we overplayed and they took the ball off us. All they do is press us like mad around our box and we fall apart. The last ten minutes before half time was the same at West Ham. Laporte for eg was pissing around with the ball and we fell apart. I understand we play from the back and I like it but over playing seems so obviously wrong. Klipperty has high energy players who do the press well but it's not rocket science.

Plan B specifically designed for high pressing teams. I'm sure or at least hope pep is working on it for next season. Either that or pragmatic approach.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 01, 2018 10:32 am

From reading about Pep and his approach to the game he plans for the first two thirds of the pitch and trusts the players to express themselves in the final third so I think missed chances are a byproduct of his system (just in the same way as the huge number of chances that we create are). I get the feeling that he believes if we throw enough at them some of it will stick. And hopefully enough to win the game.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue May 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote: They won't allow a final to start with a huge number of fans booing the crap out of their anthem. So that would be my thing that needs fixing.

With sponsor tickets, opposition fans, and people on our special cup schemes being prioritized for tickets, how many people who boo the anthem will be in the stadium? 7k at most, I'd bet.

I'm not sure it's the 'majority' - not trying to be obtuse or anything, but attendance figures for League Cup early rounds and some CL group games would suggest otherwise.

Also, there'd be maybe 20k tickets for our fans at best for a CL final - surely, if a 'majority'of ST holders are on the scheme, a fair few will be left empty-handed, especially considering the double points and other schemes the club have available for the more financially capable.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue May 01, 2018 9:46 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

I'm not sure it's the 'majority' - not trying to be obtuse or anything, but attendance figures for League Cup early rounds and some CL group games would suggest otherwise.

Also, there'd be maybe 20k tickets for our fans at best for a CL final - surely, if a 'majority'of ST holders are on the scheme, a fair few will be left empty-handed, especially considering the double points and other schemes the club have available for the more financially capable.

Lowest crowd in the CL was 43000 for the dead rubber against Feyenord.

And without a doubt, thousands on the Cup Scheme will miss out on tickets if we get to a final.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 am

One thing for me is the wileird tendancy to have a rest with the ball as soon as we get 2-0 up. I’d much rather kill a team while we have them down. Just recently we’ve allowed united, spurs and west ham all back in the game at 2-0 just by stopping our own attack.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Original Dub » Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 am

The Italian league?
Original Dub

Postby london blue 2 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:One thing for me is the wileird tendancy to have a rest with the ball as soon as we get 2-0 up. I’d much rather kill a team while we have them down. Just recently we’ve allowed united, spurs and west ham all back in the game at 2-0 just by stopping our own attack.

Good point.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:One thing for me is the wileird tendancy to have a rest with the ball as soon as we get 2-0 up. I’d much rather kill a team while we have them down. Just recently we’ve allowed united, spurs and west ham all back in the game at 2-0 just by stopping our own attack.

before and after going 2-0 up in all those games we have had some gilt edged chances... issue therefore still is FINISHING.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

before and after going 2-0 up in all those games we have had some gilt edged chances... issue therefore still is FINISHING.

From the top 4 leagues in Europe, only Juve have a better conversion rate than City.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-l ... bewerb/GB1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/primera ... bewerb/ES1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/serie-a ... bewerb/IT1

https://www.transfermarkt.com/1-bundesl ... tbewerb/L1
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

From the top 4 leagues in Europe, only Juve have a better conversion rate than City.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-l ... bewerb/GB1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/primera ... bewerb/ES1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/serie-a ... bewerb/IT1

https://www.transfermarkt.com/1-bundesl ... tbewerb/L1

why do you keep peddling these flawed stats?????

476 shots at goal in 35 games equals an average of 13.6 attempts per game.... we average well over 20 attempts on goal / game so they are only taking shots on target into account.

it also won’t instances where great chances are created but for whatever reason don’t result in an effort on goal...

stats are very dangerous in the hands of people that don’t understand them...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dameerto » Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 am

Your point was FINISHING - surely that means shots on target? ACCURACY would have included total shots.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum