Maffeo

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Maffeo

Postby PrezIke » Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 am

Sad, but I can see why this happened.

Thought he'd become our backup RB next season as we know how he did against Messi, and all season whilst Danilo was not impressing. That's changed as Danilo has looked much better and could eventually become our #1 as Walker is a bit older. It's left Maffeo, a more unproven player, the odd man out given the level we are at now.

We got a good fee outside of PL or PSG buys, and since we have 1st option/buy back this is arguably another version of "loaning out" our best talent. City seem to do this with those the backroom genuinely had thought would make the squad (Nacho and now Maffeo). He can't fill our needs for various reasons now, but he could very well become that much better, our situation changes, and then we have an effective insider price.

Wish him very well as the Bundesliga will be another good test that can widen his options if he proves himself.

Important to note he has 1 year left on his contract. We had a similar situation with Denayer, I think, where he signed a new deal with us and look what's happened to him. Tosin also went this route, although he's still younger, so one can see why Maffeo might want to have more control over his future, even if he would like to play for us/Pep.

Supposedly, Pep also has a strong relationship with the Stuttgart director of football, which makes me think Maffeo's City storyline may not be over.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby john@staustell » Tue May 15, 2018 4:54 am

One problem in perception is that fans have been screaming for decades to give so and so a chance. Almost without exception they've all ended up playing at a lower level, some not even making it in the game.

Sure the kids are better, but we are looking for kids as good as Silva, Zaba, Komapny, Aguero, Walker, Sane, De Bruyne etc.

Not "hopes"
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 am

john@staustell wrote:One problem in perception is that fans have been screaming for decades to give so and so a chance. Almost without exception they've all ended up playing at a lower level, some not even making it in the game.

Sure the kids are better, but we are looking for kids as good as Silva, Zaba, Komapny, Aguero, Walker, Sane, De Bruyne etc.

Not "hopes"

Are we? Or are we looking at giving them minutes here and there as squad players? Who knows one or two might seize their opportunity and force their way in to the manager's plans.

Look at Rashford, seized that opportunity. Alexander Arnold another example.

I accept many of them that we've called for to get some game time may not have stepped up but if they're not given a chance then we'll never know and that's a shame.

All that said I think the signs are somewhat positive in this regard with Brahim and Foden, Pep has sown some seeds.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 am

john@staustell wrote:Well we can give as many people as we like a "chance" or we can trust the manager and win trophies.

a plop ologist :roll: :lol: :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
john@staustell wrote:One problem in perception is that fans have been screaming for decades to give so and so a chance. Almost without exception they've all ended up playing at a lower level, some not even making it in the game.

Not "hopes"

Are we? Or are we looking at giving them minutes here and there as squad players? Who knows one or two might seize their opportunity and force their way in to the manager's plans.

Look at Rashford, seized that opportunity. Alexander Arnold another example.

I accept many of them that we've called for to get some game time may not have stepped up but if they're not given a chance then we'll never know and that's a shame.

All that said I think the signs are somewhat positive in this regard with Brahim and Foden, Pep has sown some seeds.

Not only that, but if other teams see them getting game time for City, surely that will bring more attention to them when we do sell and increase their value?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Tue May 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Good money for a young lad who was unlikely to dislodge either of the current two first choice full backs.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum