Jorginho - Move On Nothing To See Here

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Jorginho

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

back to the brink?

i always take journalists with less than 1000 followers seriously

Well, other sites, i.e. CityWatch re-tweeting this and suggesting it's legit aka he's about to sign/be announced in the coming days now that the issue is "resolved."
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 am

Jorginho just right for Man City
Jorginho might not be suited to most Premier League sides, but he'll fit right in at Pep Guardiola's Manchester City, insists Tom Scholes.
https://www.football-italia.net/123619/ ... t-man-city
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Jorginho just right for Man City
Jorginho might not be suited to most Premier League sides, but he'll fit right in at Pep Guardiola's Manchester City, insists Tom Scholes.

Similarly, he's a link to my post in the Mahrez thread defending reasons to be excited about Jorginho.

I added some bits showing why he's a good fit that partially stemmed from a recent scouting report from Bleacher Report that said he would be "perfect for" us:

http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=53522&p=915975#p915975
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:33 pm

PrezIke wrote:

Similarly, he's a link to my post in the Mahrez thread defending reasons to be excited about Jorginho.

I added some bits showing why he's a good fit that partially stemmed from a recent scouting report from Bleacher Report that said he would be "perfect for" us:

see, reading stuff like this makes me worry. it says his passing stats are as good/better than fern1's. however, what they fail to mention is that fern1 also tracks back and provides cover for our sometimes sh1t back 4. can jorginho handle that bit, too??
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

see, reading stuff like this makes me worry. it says his passing stats are as good/better than fern1's. however, what they fail to mention is that fern1 also tracks back and provides cover for our sometimes sh1t back 4. can jorginho handle that bit, too??

As far as I understand his strength is not as a box to box type of midfielder but deep lying playmaker...aka positioning. Here's an in depth scouting report from March on him:

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/jorginho/

They refer to that in the part discussing his defending:

Jorginho helps his team in those situations with his solid understanding of the game and his good defensive positioning/reading the game. Quite often he is able to intercept by simply closing passing lines for the opponent...

Jorginho reads the intention of the opponents passes quite well and therefore can intercept the pass easily. Especially in the situation in which he has lost the ball, Jorginho shows his understanding of the situation by often moving forward to press instead of moving back in position. Because of his immediate forward pressing, he reduces the available space for the opponent and forces him to make decisions quickly.

Some of that sounds exactly like the rest of our players who win the ball back swiftly. Being fair, the report does point to deficiencies defending "bigger spaces" as he is not that pacey of a player.

Fern is obviously good at positioning and "tracking back" as a CDM but ideally under Pep that's not going to be required as much when with Jorginho we could possibly improve on already having the ball 60-80% of the time. He is good at some aspects of defending, and will be surrounded by other hard working and intelligent players. Against Liverpool and pressing teams at higher levels this quote below indirectly makes the point as to why the "tracking back" concern may be less key than one suspects:

In the Champions League and Europa League, he has shown that he doesn’t need that much space to operate because he is very good under pressure like all of Napoli’s players.

Isn't losing the ball pretty much the primary reason we nearly ever have to "track back?" It was against Liverpool and we had games we lost or drew last season where we had huge amounts more possession, but gave away goals on the counter from the high press and fast attackers. Instead of chasing them with fast players, couldn't you argue keeping the ball better would be more effective? Again, I saw that as exactly why Liverpool continue to defeat us.

Everywhere else we have players who fit that mould, working hard to win the ball back after losing it, but then when a player like Fernandinho - as good as he is - has to make a swift decision with the ball under pressure he has given the ball back more than say even someone like Yaya.

Seems Jorginho is good at cutting off passing lanes so that's his value as a CDM. I trust Pep knows what he is doing at this point, and can see very good reason from the points I'm trying to make as to how it would work compared to a hard working ball winning midfielder in the De Jong/Fernandinho (better technically, of course) mould.

I guess my larger point is, remember how many of our fans hated the idea of key Pep ideas during and after season 1?

- Sweeper Keeper (replacing Joe)
- Playing out from the back
- Ball playing defenders (Playing Kola as a centre half)
- Roaming 8s (Silva and KDB no longer attackin/wide mids, now "roaming 8s")
- Dropping Kun (wanting his forwards to be involved in buildup and winning the ball back)

When he added more players that he wanted to address those concerns we not only improved, we became a nearly unstoppable force across the league. I think we can get a bit stuck in how we are accustomed to "what works" on a football pitch, but Pep is trying completely different things that those solutions from the past won't help enough address current problems.

Also, to be fair, we may have wanted Fred, but because that changed, and Pep already liked Jorginho he became the best pick of the lot given what is available.

I'd ask, who would you like to see instead? We aren't getting Kante, so forget him. He also is not going to help with any long passing Pep likes from deep. Hard to think who would be a Fern clone, but ideally is better with the ball, that we could actually sign. Who is this player?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 pm

That would then release the Ginger Prince.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:55 pm

good post, prezlke. i hope he pans out. i don't know of any better (young) players offhand who are currently available, but i'm no scout.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby phips » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:15 am

maybe he'll be the eventual replacement for what Silva has become under Pep. he's no longer a real number 10. both him and KDB operated as no. 8s last yr.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 pm

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 pm

johnny crossan wrote:

No change then ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 pm

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Hmmm, it's very quiet down at
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 am

CTID Hants wrote:Hmmm, it's very quiet down at

Do they have one of these in Chelsea
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:46 am

Talk about drawn out. Not like us to not have our businews done by now.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Talk about drawn out. Not like us to not have our businews done by now.

the Chavs step in
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:Talk about drawn out. Not like us to not have our businews done by now.

the Chavs step in

Let Chelsea have him. Sick of dealing with Italian twats. There's better out there.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:15 pm

one thing is certain after watching brazil these past few weeks: we need competition for fern1 pronto. his legs are going...maybe gone.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mase » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:one thing is certain after watching brazil these past few weeks: we need competition for fern1 pronto. his legs are going...maybe gone.

Wasn't he one of our best players last season? And how many games did he start for Brazil in the world cup?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Mase wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:one thing is certain after watching brazil these past few weeks: we need competition for fern1 pronto. his legs are going...maybe gone.

Wasn't he one of our best players last season? And how many games did he start for Brazil in the world cup?

As Robert Plant sang Mase .... or as Rolf Harris sang „Ooooh , it makes me wonder“.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm

zuricity wrote:
Mase wrote:

As Robert Plant sang Mase .... or as Rolf Harris sang „Ooooh , it makes me wonder“.

I find it mad that a few of our fans are making claims about some of our players based on the world cup. Fuck me if it was up to some we'd be making bids for Pickford, Lingard, Maguire, that curly haired fuck Mexico keeper as back up for Pickford, some shit Russian that's really Brazilian, the Serbian left-back, and Lukaku!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum