World Cup Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: World Cup Thread

Postby s1ty m » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Soviets v Belgium, 86. Best game of football I've ever seen. A few good ones across a few subsequent tournaments but yes, it's not great these days. Argentina v France 78. Ridiculous game.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm

zuricity wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
sheblue wrote:International is well and truly dead. What a shite world cup this has been so far. No good teams in it.

Interesting opinion. I'm loving it.

it is Beefy, the football has been dross so far. Even tonights game ,

I don't know, it all depends what you're looking at. Apart from England games I don't take sides and if your opinion is that a 3-0 win is not decent then we may have to differ. My reservation of this game is that the first goal scorer shouldn't have been there to put Croatia in front, and with VAR assistance as well.

Every game isn't going to be great, such as that Iran game yesterday, but there are some others that have really shone. Overall, more than happy so far.

I know what i am looking at Beefy and it is called football , bad football.
Let’s look at tonights game. Kun gets no feeds , no help and the Arg Trainer needs to get goals , what does he do ? He takes one of the best strikers off in the world for a not so good striker . Instead of taking the dcikhead on the right wing off who can’t pass or cross the ball for toffee .

Where’s the famous triangle football the argies play ? they were so far away from each other it was impossible to break down the croatians.

Mind you Denmark will beat them ( croatia).

I suppose that's what I was saying mate, you were looking at Argentina because of our links and the hype that the team brings (Messi) whereas I was just watching the game to see how it panned out. Watching that was interesting for me, and seeing Messi blocked out of the game showed real dedication, or just his own association, depending on how you seen it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm

s1ty m wrote:Soviets v Belgium, 86. Best game of football I've ever seen. A few good ones across a few subsequent tournaments but yes, it's not great these days. Argentina v France 78. Ridiculous game.

Remember that game well. Scifo, Belanov, Ceulemans, Vercauteren, Aleinikov. Pfaff and Dasayev at goal. Three goals at extra time. Vintage.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 pm

zuricity wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
sheblue wrote:International is well and truly dead. What a shite world cup this has been so far. No good teams in it.

That's been the trend ever since the introduction of the Champions League, the Premier League and the general capitalisation of club football. Still I the 80's, when semi amateurs from Sweden still could reach the final of the European Cup, there weren't many clubs that got even close to the best national teams (AC Milan being the only exception I can think of). Today the best club teams out there are light years ahead of almost all national teams.

Still I enjoy the WC. It's partly youth nostalgia, but it's also the condensed format, the patriotism, the upsets, the anticipation (once every 4 years).

Don’t blame the Premier League for the dross that is being served up at the moment . It really is bad football.

I'm not blaming the Premier League, I'm just saying that we've got spoilt.

How many WC players were playing in bottom half teams of division 1 in 82 and 86? The World Cup was the pinnacle of football that we got to enjoy every 4th year. That all changed when club football became "too good".
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby sheblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Lads it's poor enough.
One example, today France bet the mighty Peru 1 - 0. This French side are among the favourites for this tournament. The French team that won it in 98 were twice as good as the current french team.

As we saw the argies are a total mess, Brazil play a square ball donkey paulhino, Italy, Holland not even there.....need I go on.

The standard of international football is muck. And it has been for a long while now. It's all hype.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I don't know, it all depends what you're looking at. Apart from England games I don't take sides and if your opinion is that a 3-0 win is not decent then we may have to differ. My reservation of this game is that the first goal scorer shouldn't have been there to put Croatia in front, and with VAR assistance as well.

Every game isn't going to be great, such as that Iran game yesterday, but there are some others that have really shone. Overall, more than happy so far.

I'm with Beefy on this one. I don't take sides. I just enjoy the football and generally football has been ok. Too many teams admittedly and some crap games as always but Croatia was great to watch and some truly exciting games.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 pm

It never really heats up til the knockout stage anyway.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Argentina have consistently failed to get the best out of Messi and Kun throughout their careers. The equivalent of Gerrard and Lampard for England.

Many managers cannot hack it at that level, where if you do not have a player for a position you cannot go and buy one. If you have no player to cover left back for instance, you have to convert one, like Pep did with Delph, but few managers can do that, especially over 6 games a season rather than months. And if you have no KDB or Dave Silva, like England don't, then you are stuffed if you try to play the football that needs such players.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Anyways, I'm off to Russia on saturday morning so feel free to piss on my chips and moan about the games!

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Argentina have consistently failed to get the best out of Messi and Kun throughout their careers. The equivalent of Gerrard and Lampard for England.
Many managers cannot hack it at that level, where if you do not have a player for a position you cannot go and buy one. If you have no player to cover left back for instance, you have to convert one, like Pep did with Delph, but few managers can do that, especially over 6 games a season rather than months. And if you have no KDB or Dave Silva, like England don't, then you are stuffed if you try to play the football that needs such players.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Argentina have consistently failed to get the best out of Messi and Kun throughout their careers. The equivalent of Gerrard and Lampard for England.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to say that had me giggling as well.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
s1ty m wrote:Soviets v Belgium, 86. Best game of football I've ever seen. A few good ones across a few subsequent tournaments but yes, it's not great these days. Argentina v France 78. Ridiculous game.

Remember that game well. Scifo, Belanov, Ceulemans, Vercauteren, Aleinikov. Pfaff and Dasayev at goal. Three goals at extra time. Vintage.

you remember a game well that kicked off at midnight (your time) when you were 6 years old? ok.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm

sheblue wrote:Lads it's poor enough.
One example, today France bet the mighty Peru 1 - 0. This French side are among the favourites for this tournament. The French team that won it in 98 were twice as good as the current french team.

As we saw the argies are a total mess, Brazil play a square ball donkey paulhino, Italy, Holland not even there.....need I go on.

The standard of international football is muck. And it has been for a long while now. It's all hype.

I don't see it as hype, I see it as a separate game from the love of our club. What is making it easier for me lately is the lack of the scum being there, especially the media whores such as Shrek, Beckham, Gerard et al who were there for their own gain.

We might not be the best at the moment but we have a team that i no longer look at and think 'Who the fuck am I supporting'! There is nobody who I seriously dislike because of their 'It's all about me' ways and even the Rags, bar Lingard, don't grip my shit.

Overall it's about expectation management and I'm not expecting to see our game in the WC. Thus, what I am seeing is far more than I expected, on many occasions, to which I am enjoying.

All about opinion though mate, and I respect yours.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 pm

you are correct and don't let Beefy bluff it :-)

Everything so far had been a joke, VAR , footy and the presentation.

I was in England at the weekend and the TV presentation was absolutely awful .

The only positive so far is the way Mexico stuffed the World Champions. Roll on Saturday and if Yogi starts Kroos ahead of Gündo , then it's 'game on'
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

I have to say that had me giggling as well.

Only in their inability to succeed together obviously.

Lamps was way better than Messi.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Can't find the Rag thread so just wanted to remind Blues:

Scum!!!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm

zuricity wrote:

you are correct and don't let Beefy bluff it :-)

Everything so far had been a joke, VAR , footy and the presentation.

I was in England at the weekend and the TV presentation was absolutely awful .

The only positive so far is the way Mexico stuffed the World Champions. Roll on Saturday and if Yogi starts Kroos ahead of Gündo , then it's 'game on'

I'm watching Zee, I'm watching ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby s1ty m » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:35 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

you remember a game well that kicked off at midnight (your time) when you were 6 years old? ok.

Kicked off at 10pm GMT. I was doing my finals at college in Manchester. Had a pint in The Welcome in Rusholme and went home and watched the entire game. Yes I remember it well.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

Except I was 8 and and luckily they had invented VCR. Coincidentally my dad bought our first VCR for this particular tournament. Still got lot of original tapes. 86, 90 and 94 were the tournaments where I watched absolutely every single game because I recorded everything. 98 onwards I gradually lost interest of watching EVRY SINGLE GAME from beginning to end.

Edit. I was 7 by the way. Turned 8 on september.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

Except I was 8 and and luckily they had invented VCR. Coincidentally my dad bought our first VCR for this particular tournament. Still got lot of original tapes.

Edit. I was 7 by the way. Turned 8 on september.

I was 8. Watched every match that was on telly and that my parents would let me stay up for. It was summer holidays, so no school, and your 10pm games kicked off at 9pm for me (8pm for Discopants).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum