World Cup | England v Panama

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: World Cup | England v Panama

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:12 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Dimples wrote:England have not got a hope in hell of winning this world cup. Here is why:

1. The world cup cannot be won without a midfield.
There is one midfielder in the squad - the very limited Henderson
2. The defence is unstable. It will be shredded in the knock out stages by top teams like Spain, Belgium, Brazil, etc...
(The next match against Belgium is a dead rubber. I would read nothing into that result - either way)
3. There are no World class players in the squad.
Pickford, Kane, Sterling, Deli Ali, Stones, Rashford may get there by 2022 - they are not there now
4. Southgate is a weakness at the moment (he has potential, I like the way he is heading but it will be 2022 before he gets there)
Very limited experience, picked an unbalanced squad, had two years to establish a first 11 and a style of play and did not do it.

People can get as excited as they like about scraping a win against Tunisia and hammering Panama.
All I saw was low quality opposition, no English midfield, no creativity in the middle and a defence that is very suspect.
Also, a team that is in the early stages of development. 2022 will be their time.

To me that means England will be dispatched when they face quality opposition in a match that counts i.e. the knock out stages.
That is not being negative, just realistic.

And to be fair Dimples, I would call that a very good summation.
I don’t think anyone on here is expecting England to win the WC. I see as much reason for optimism in your summing up of the team as I do in my own.

We all know the weaknesses but looking at it objectively from the outside I sometimes wonder what some English supporters are expecting.

You’ve said it yourself there. This is a project. At least you have a viable project now. A core of players that want to play proper football and by and large, are not up their own arses.

Be happy and go along with the ride. You could get lucky.

I think QFs are realistic and SF would be a bonus.
But who knows if you got that far anything could happen.
Dare to dream. It doesn’t hurt.

Be gobsmacked if we won the thing or even got to the final. But let’s not forget the dippers somehow got to the CL final. Once we are in the knockout stages strange things can and do happen
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I was a little worried about Poland!

I'm worried about Colombia now - they look distinctly dangerous and likely to be our next opponents - and back to full strength with the return of Carlos Sanchez :roll:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby City64 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
City64 wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
City64 wrote:
mr_nool wrote:As a (semi) neutral, I really enjoy this England edition. I think your weakest point is your midfield, which will be evident when you play better teams. I actually think your best bet to make it really far in this competition would have been to emulate Liverpool rather than City. Shoot me down if you want, but a Milner/Henderson midfield is probably what you need when you come up against Spain/Germany/Brasil.

Emulate those fucking scouse cunts ?????
Take your head for a serious wobble immediately !

Oh give it up. I'm just saying that you don't have the personnel to play City brand football, but you could make it really far if you try to do it pure on energy and counter attacks.

Pressing game in 33 / 34 temps ? Right ok good luck with that one ! Scousers have won fuck all for decades by the way :D :lol:

I get where Noolie is coming from but agree that playing the Liverpool way will not win you a WC tournament.
I actually thought against Tunisia you turned from City to Liverpool in the space of ten minutes in the first half. I put that chiefly down to Henderson’s instincts.
He hasn’t the confidence to keep playing possession in little triangles until the pass opens up through the channels. Instead he kept on knocking hopeful 30-40 yard balls over the top. Some came off but most didn’t.
Today at 6-0 up there was a disagreement between Walker and Stones and himself. They were telling him to keep passing to draw them out and he wanted a quicker ball forward.
A minor thing but it shows the two different philosophies or instincts.

I think Pep has had a big influence on how England are playing and also the whole group look like they are buying into whatever Southgate is instilling in them.
It’s the most I’ve enjoyed an England team in years.
We all hated the various egos and factions in past teams.

To those English fans on here still down on the media’s different handling of City players compared to others, I would say don’t buy into it. Don’t let them divide a nation’s loyalty. It’s not Raheem against Lindgard or Rashford. They all are part of the squad and all can play well.
Lindgard did very well today. So did Raheem.
TBH we know finishing is a confidence thing and Sterling is not the most natural finisher, but I don’t think you have a better forward at linking up fast attacking play.
It’s just instinctive again.

You’ve a very good young squad that will get better the more they play together but I also agree with Noolie that you are a couple of midfielders short to really play like City. You are missing a Silva or KDB.

I don’t think the back three will work against stronger opposition either. Too many square pegs in round holes.
But you never know. I haven’t seen any of gHe major teams that don’t have weaknesses.
Belgium’s defence is well dodgy and I can see you getting joy there, but you’ll have to win the midfield battle.

If I was you lot I’d be delighted with what I’ve seen so far. Get behind them. They have s genuine chance of advancing far into this competition.

Great post iwt2012. And exactly , England and Southgate doesn't have KDB and David Silva pulling the strings or Fern doing all the covering / tackling /out ball/link play ........... England have Jordan fucking Henderson ! who will be totally outclassed and lost when we play a "proper team" . Pep utilize,s Sterling and Sane wide on both flanks to give us (city) plenty of space to use /attack / pass / stretch teams . Sterling has a totally different role in Southgate,s set up where he has basically a free role moving around to set up forward play and get as far forward as possible creating space for Kane . It is working to a degree but the opposition has been rank so far . Southgate probably has England as fluid as he can right now with the players he has , big tests to come lets hope and see .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum