Pre Season Tour

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pre Season Tour

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:57 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Dippers lost to Dortmund as well. Rags drew with some shite side.

Heard nothing about the rags game which must mean they didnt do well. I expected the PR machine to be telling us they were magnificent in beating a top US side. As they were abysmal and booed off the park we hear nothing at all.

As I stated earlier , this whole fuckign tour is a watse of time and does little to boost our new young fan base IMO. Not just for us but I reckon none of the English football teams are gaining anything out of this as well due to half of the players still on holiday.

We would have been better off playing local sides.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Dippers lost to Dortmund as well. Rags drew with some shite side.

Heard nothing about the rags game which must mean they didnt do well. I expected the PR machine to be telling us they were magnificent in beating a top US side. As they were abysmal and booed off the park we hear nothing at all.

As I stated earlier , this whole fuckign tour is a watse of time and does little to boost our new young fan base IMO. Not just for us but I reckon none of the English football teams are gaining anything out of this as well due to half of the players still on holiday.

It's all about the dollars. The club got £9million for their US tour last summer.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sheblue » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:32 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

It's all about the dollars. The club got £9million for their US tour last summer.

9 million. That will go a long way in the transfer market!
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 am

sheblue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Not to be sniffed at.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Outcast » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:03 pm

sheblue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Aha....but but but its not Arab oil money, its organically earned
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Outcast wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:This match is the reason why I thought it made sense to not bother doing a tour - considering it was the World Cup - we will not boost our fan base when they get to witness shit games like this one .!!!

Big mistake IMO

I don't really agree, but I hear you.

If you watched the game you heard the crowd, "ooh" and "ahh" when there was good play. There are some quality players or those with potential out there who want to make a good showing to help themselves.

Several "big clubs" are touring as part of this event as they do every summer. Arsenal and other clubs travelled even farther away to participate (Australia, Asia).

Also, playing these bigger clubs, even their reserves side, helps managers better assess players (young, fringe, new) rather than against some local League 1 club away when our players will be miles ahead in talent or even potential and will likely be less motivated to play against such a side in a friendly. These games are broadcast internationally so players get more exposure as well and want to show off a bit.

These tours also generate revenue from the promoters that is also key.

I think you missed the point, if Sancho makes it, the media will have a field day, they'll bang on how city don't promote youth and they're better off plying their trade elsewhere. According to them he did the right thing leaving and others at city should follow suit to progress. Sancho has talent but dont think he has the temperament to be a top tier footballer. You cant compare Dortmund to city, they're a mid table club with less pressure to win silverware, for this, their emphasis is focused more on developing youth seeing as they cant compete in the transfer market with the big boys.

Seems we got mixed up here mate.

Don't disagree with you on what happens if Sancho makes it. Yet I do as of now with the idea that Dortmund are a mid table club. Let's be fair about that one, even if they aren't THAT big and lose players. They've been to the CL final, won titles, cups and been the 2nd best in Germany for a decade. They have had some star players and managers work for them over the years that have gotten a lot of attention. Yet, fair to say they have lost some of their status of late and are relying more than ever on their development record with players like Pulisic and Sancho.

Dortmund had a rough season last year, particularly to start, but they still made CL and have fans all over the globe. They are, I gather, arguably the biggest "hipster" club aka good to support for fans who dislike so-called "rich clubs" as they don't buy big players but seek to develop them. That's part of the reason the English media, who hate us, were happy to see him go to there.

You're right they can't compete in the transfer market with the biggest clubs, but they are still a very good side with talent and still attract young players like Pulisic and Sancho hoping to develop whilst competing at the top of their leagues and CL.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:42 am

london blue 2 wrote:

Yep. BBC were running a live report on both last night. When I checked for results this morning I had to go digging lol.

Loved this from BBC on the Dippers - Dortmund game (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44919536):

Virgil van Dijk's first-half header had put Jurgen Klopp's side on course for a fourth win in five pre-season games.

So, in fact, they won 3 out of 5: Against Chester, Tranmere and Blackburn. They drew with Bury, and lost to Dortmund.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Outcast » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:23 pm

Is it me or is this forum full of Dortmund lovers?? Do we have any affiliation with them I'm not aware of?
Outcast

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Outcast wrote:Is it me or is this forum full of Dortmund lovers?? Do we have any affiliation with them I'm not aware of?

I loved them once, it was fleeting, around the mid to late nineties for around a month or so.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Looking forward to the match whilst most of you are sleeping :-)

Know it means little to all you Mancs but I haven't seen us play since literally 8 years ago today at a 2010 a preseason friendly match (Barclay's New York Challenge...ironically in New Jersey) here at RedBulls stadium (was a blast).

To show how different things are now, they didn't sell out the match, and RedBulls stadium holds 25,000. It was a "semi-final" with Spurs and Sporting Portugal/Lisbon. All of our legends from the title sides were there, Adebayor was still with us and was booed by all of the Arsenal fans there as RedBulls had just signed Henry, and also saw Bale when he was converting from left back...hah!

So, just to be a pest to my favourite world class whinger here, carl, ;-) I'm going tonight with a mate of mine I met on the Public Enemy forum years ago from Capetown who lives in NYC now with his American born wife who is a Chelsea supporter, but hates Liverpool (of course). He is excited to see US play and usually supports us because of the style of play, I believe, and his obvious loathing of Liverpool and Utd.

This game has both clubs' reserves sides and a few stars, and they will get a good crowd, I am sure. City being in NYC is good because it's filled with football fans, and exposes lesser followers to it live, which makes a HUGE difference.

Anyway, just a preseason friendly good enough for us damn, I mean...dumb Yanks.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 pm

PrezIke wrote:Looking forward to the match whilst most of you are sleeping :-)

Know it means little to all you Mancs but I haven't seen us play since literally 8 years ago today at a 2010 a preseason friendly match (Barclay's New York Challenge...ironically in New Jersey) here at RedBulls stadium (was a blast).

To show how different things are now, they didn't sell out the match, and RedBulls stadium holds 25,000. It was a "semi-final" with Spurs and Sporting Portugal/Lisbon. All of our legends from the title sides were there, Adebayor was still with us and was booed by all of the Arsenal fans there as RedBulls had just signed Henry, and also saw Bale when he was converting from left back...hah!

So, just to be a pest to my favourite world class whinger here, carl, ;-) I'm going tonight with a mate of mine I met on the Public Enemy forum years ago from Capetown who lives in NYC now with his American born wife who is a Chelsea supporter, but hates Liverpool (of course). He is excited to see US play and usually supports us because of the style of play, I believe, and his obvious loathing of Liverpool and Utd.

This game has both clubs' reserves sides and a few stars, and they will get a good crowd, I am sure. City being in NYC is good because it's filled with football fans, and exposes lesser followers to it live, which makes a HUGE difference.

Anyway, just a preseason friendly good enough for us damn, I mean...dumb Yanks.
Just hope we don't lose again
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Justified logic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:21 pm

We lost but I think we played well against first team squad players, particularly in the first half - kids playing the Pep way. We tired in the second half when Liverpool brouught on their A-team forwards against our kids but all this time with personal tuition for the kids from Pep can only bode well for the future, whether that be first team players or sales at high value.
Justified logic

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Dippers go 4 -1 up :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Dippers go 4 -1 up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its always funny watching the Munchens lose but the Bindippers are playing like its a cup final ..full side out there and going for it.

The refs in the states are fuckign embarrassing...even more so than the geography knowledge of the average yank.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Another sizzling start, but some dodgy keeping and play from Bayern so far.

Should have a goal already, or at least a real shot on target.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm

5 seconds or less on almost every possession for Bayern. Pep's philosophy bites back.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:19 pm

What a pass Diaz!

Bayern also has more a few bigger players out than us. (Coman, Alaba, Ribery, Robben, Rafinha)

Foden also looking better thus far.

Oh Nmecha!!! Off the bar!

We have looked really good.

Just preseason...of course, but not bad for the reserves and Mahrez.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Grandad Rosler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Goal for bayern completely against run of play. Crap defending really, should have done more against the header. Fell down like a sack of shit. Shame because we've been way on top
Grandad Rosler
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Andy Morrison

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Of course Bayern score on their 2nd real possession. Actually could have scored on their first.

Reserve defenders have not been as good. Humpheys looks out of his depth.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Grandad Rosler wrote:Goal for bayern completely against run of play. Crap defending really, should have done more against the header. Fell down like a sack of shit. Shame because we've been way on top

Running them off the field, really, before that.

Youth of the side showing in the missed chances...yet senior players have shown this propensity as well.

Hence why I LOVE the Mahrez signing. He looked spritely, well, before he took a knock to his ankle.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum