Pre Season Tour

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pre Season Tour

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
phips wrote:this whole pre-season tour is gonna be awful. maybe the last match (whenever it is) if we finally incorporate some players like Silva, Bernardo, Ederson, Fernandinho, Jesus, & Aguero.

it’s a complete waste of fucking time
devalues the brand as well

Interesting. I always thought pre-season was to integrate players back into the team after a period away whilst bringing them up to date with new tactics/formations and getting them physically ready for the season ahead. There's obviously the PR side and getting us into new markets, but the priority is the team getting themselves into shape.

But what do I know.

good job we don’t have what is, supposedly, the best training facility in the world then...?
better to get the lads training in uk like conditions in florida isn’t it???
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:22 pm

makes gundogan look like a right twat. Germany’s last game was weeks ago and he hardly played ffs!
Last edited by Sideshow Bob on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 pm

If ever we were to cancel any pre season tour then this would have been justified .

It is a waste of time imo
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Its not useful in terms of preparing our likely first eleven for the PL, but having youngsters coached by probably the best coach in the world for a couple of weeks is hardly a dead loss.

As for the players who played little part in the WC, they may not have put in a lot of physical effort, but they were away from their families and deserve some time off.

We'll just have to trust Pep to sort it for day 1.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:If ever we were to cancel any pre season tour then this would have been justified .

even the retarded yanks have gotten wise to this one.... the rags v milan game was moved from the 90k colliseum in la to the 27k seater galaxy stadium and there are still tickets left
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby phips » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:11 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
phips wrote:this whole pre-season tour is gonna be awful. maybe the last match (whenever it is) if we finally incorporate some players like Silva, Bernardo, Ederson, Fernandinho, Jesus, & Aguero.

might be the smartest thing youve ever said on here
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:26 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:If ever we were to cancel any pre season tour then this would have been justified .

even the retarded yanks have gotten wise to this one.... the rags v milan game was moved from the 90k colliseum in la to the 27k seater galaxy stadium and there are still tickets left

Milan? Milan?

Ah yes, I vaguely remember them. Channel 4 in the 90s.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 am

phips wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

beginnings of an unlikely mutual admiration society ? :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:08 am

johnny crossan wrote:
phips wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

beginnings of an unlikely mutual admiration society ? :D

must try harder to get foed
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:13 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Interesting. I always thought pre-season was to integrate players back into the team after a period away whilst bringing them up to date with new tactics/formations and getting them physically ready for the season ahead. There's obviously the PR side and getting us into new markets, but the priority is the team getting themselves into shape.

But what do I know.

You are correct in that the main purpose of pre season is to get the players up to speed with fitness and integration with new recruits and tactics. But that could be done with games against Wigan, Rochdale, Fleetwood and the like. Plus that has the added bonus of giving much needed revenue and exposure to our lower league neighbours.

When we go on jaunts to the USA or the Far East the objective changes to one of brand exposure and promotion of the City group. And in this day and age it is an exercise that we need to do to maintain and grow our fan base, and ergo revenue. But sending a group of players that a lot of aren’t likely to be part of the first team squad could actually devalue what we are trying achieve. Maybe with the World Cup this year we should have had a more low key/local pre season?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:32 am

nottsblue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

But what do I know.

You are correct in that the main purpose of pre season is to get the players up to speed with fitness and integration with new recruits and tactics. But that could be done with games against Wigan, Rochdale, Fleetwood and the like. Plus that has the added bonus of giving much needed revenue and exposure to our lower league neighbours.

When we go on jaunts to the USA or the Far East the objective changes to one of brand exposure and promotion of the City group. And in this day and age it is an exercise that we need to do to maintain and grow our fan base, and ergo revenue. But sending a group of players that a lot of aren’t likely to be part of the first team squad could actually devalue what we are trying achieve. Maybe with the World Cup this year we should have had a more low key/local pre season?

Should have come to Dublin.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 am

nottsblue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

But what do I know.

do you think that this tour could devalue the brand? anyone know how much tickets are for this shower of shit??
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:makes gundogan look like a right twat. Germany’s last game was weeks ago and he hardly played ffs!

With his historic injury problems maybe he has a more customised pre season routine?
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:makes gundogan look like a right twat. Germany’s last game was weeks ago and he hardly played ffs!

With his historic injury problems maybe he has a more customised pre season routine?

I think I read somewhere that the players at World Cup get three weeks off, that would mean he's due back today, the first week or so of preseason is conditioning so he wouldn't be ready to play until the last game of the tour, no point in travelling really.

Besides he returned well before the rest of the squad last summer in a bid to get himself fit for the season.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

But what do I know.

do you think that this tour could devalue the brand? anyone know how much tickets are for this shower of shit??

Was thinking more the casual fans might think to come and watch the Centurions and PL champions play but instead see a load of peripheral players
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby phips » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:47 pm

what i will say is that i do like this tour coming to the US (im biased) because it allows new, plastic fans like me to see the club play. we might never make it over to England and this could be our only chance.

now this summer is an utter waste of time. shouldve just stayed in England. if youre gonna trot out the crap we're about to there's no point. if City were coming to California this summer i wouldnt waste my money on it. international pre-season tours should only happen on summers where the Euros or WC do not take place.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I am most curious about seeing how Douglas Luiz does during preseason.

I have hopes, and I suspect Pep, he could be this seasons Zinchenko.

I think some may not realise or forgot how he was quite highly rated when we purchased him last year.

I think some articles have been written the last few weeks speaking about him meeting with Pep to see if he can get into the team - although if not he is off to Girona again. That was before Jorginho fell through, so now that we are likely to have less depth at the no. 6 and still have at least 1 foreign spot left in the squad, we could keep him around if he proves himself.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't see what the issue is, the promoters of these preseason tournaments pay ridiculous amounts of money so the club is hardly going to say 'nah you're alright, we only have a fringe squad available on them dates'.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sheblue » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm

I think most are saying footballing wise it's a total nonsense they would be better at home playing a few friendlies.
The commercial aspect is probably a different matter.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

But what do I know.

good job we don’t have what is, supposedly, the best training facility in the world then...?
better to get the lads training in uk like conditions in florida isn’t it???

NB. Never take it personally.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum