***tonight's title decider official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***tonight's title decider official match thread***

Postby phips » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:22 am

1-0 Leroy. is there any point in playing the season now?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:28 am

Entraining match here!!!
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:28 am

phips wrote:1-0 Leroy. is there any point in playing the season now?

campione! campione!
olé! olé! olé!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:55 am

Boooooo
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Lee_R » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:58 am

lol pathetic.

1 off side and the other the softest pen ever. ffs
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:59 am

Happy with that. easily matched them till Mane/Salad came on at the same time as we changed evrything in midfield and defence and it made all the difference. Some good individual performances and some weak ones
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 am

from Twitter feed kinda sounds like Humphreys did well? he's been on the fringes of these summer squads for awhile. 'bout time he got loaned to somewhere good?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:16 am

Is it worth a watch? Starting lineup was kids, Sane and Mahrez did we not bring anyone else out there?
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:18 am

In reality the dippers should be deeply embarrassed by that, just scraping a win against a team of boys a few weeks out of nappies.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:25 am

Green & Blue wrote:Is it worth a watch? Starting lineup was kids, Sane and Mahrez did we not bring anyone else out there?

I'm watching it now. So far (57 minutes in= it's actually a very entertaining game for being a pre-season friendly.

http://footballfullmatch.com/international-champions-cup/manchester-city-vs-liverpool-26-07-2018/
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 am

After last nights amazing and historic win.Liverpool F.C in conjunction with Merseyside Police are delighted to announce the team will have an open top bus parade on arriving back. The route is still to be decided as they have never had such a parade, Of course it will take time to spruce up the route so an appeal has been set up with crowd funding. When 10 billion has been raised we will of course have enough to sort out the shit hole that is Anfield and the surround street. John Aldridge has thrown his weight behind the appeal and donated 50p.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 am

mr_nool wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:Is it worth a watch? Starting lineup was kids, Sane and Mahrez did we not bring anyone else out there?

I'm watching it now. So far (57 minutes in= it's actually a very entertaining game for being a pre-season friendly.

http://footballfullmatch.com/international-champions-cup/manchester-city-vs-liverpool-26-07-2018/

thanks for that
followed the game on twitter last night so was good to put some of the comments into context
sane skinning the greatest defender ever was a lovely watch
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:08 am

That was actually a good game to watch despite it being pre-season, and despite us playing a slightly reinforced EDS team.
It was great seeing the kids having a go, and I thought most of them did very well. That said, I do think only one or two may actually have a future at City (Garcia and Gomes).

We obviously struggled in the second half when Salah and Mané came on, but it was also down to us shifting and changing the whole defence. However, the biggest impact, in my opinion, was Mahrez goin off and Zinchenko being moved to left back and subsequently taken off. The Zinch was actually doing really well in the DM role from a build up point of view (his defensive work is not good enough) - the guy is clearly a very gifted footballer - and provided an outlet for the back three. He really looked to have the steady influence of a senior player despite being around the same age as some of the EDS kids (Harrison is actually older). That Mahrez dropped down from his number 10 position and participated in the build up also helped.

Ad for the kids, I thought Harrison had a great first half. His crossing is really something else. That said, I don't think he's nearly talented enough to ever be a regular City player, but he does deserve a good loan and who knows, maybe we will make a good buck on him?

Bolton on the right is two years younger (only 19) and looked really good, both as a right wing back in the first half and slightly further up the pitch in the second. the lad got some speed. It will be interesting to see if he will be loaned out this season or stay with the EDS one more year. If it's the latter, I do believe he can get cameo appearances in the cups.

Eric Garcia looks like such a great prospect. I would not be surprised to see him being a regular starter for us in a few years time (he's only 17!). Humphreys was also good last night, but would probably benefit from a loan this season. He's turning 20 in August and would probably benefit from playing senior football.

Diaz started great, but faded. maybe because of the overly stern Liverpool defending? Foden ticked away nicely the whole game and looks very tidy, however, next to Zinchenko he did look inexperienced.

Nmecha did really well in the first half. He's only 19, but I still think a loan move would be good for him. He will get very limited game time with the first team if he stays seeing that both Sané and Sterling can play as back-up strikers. He does look really strong and pacey, but I just don't think he's suited to the way we play.

In the second half there were so many subs and position changes that it was difficult to make any assessments. That said, I thought Tosin looked very shaky and I though he was outshone by Garcia and Humpreys. Gomes didn't quite look up to speed and gave the ball away too easily on quite a few occasions. I do think he looks very promising as a DM, though. Will probably get som game time in the cups this season.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 am

mr_nool wrote:That was actually a good game to watch despite it being pre-season, and despite us playing a slightly reinforced EDS team.
It was great seeing the kids having a go, and I thought most of them did very well. That said, I do think only one or two may actually have a future at City (Garcia and Gomes).

We obviously struggled in the second half when Salah and Mané came on, but it was also down to us shifting and changing the whole defence. However, the biggest impact, in my opinion, was Mahrez goin off and Zinchenko being moved to left back and subsequently taken off. The Zinch was actually doing really well in the DM role from a build up point of view (his defensive work is not good enough) - the guy is clearly a very gifted footballer - and provided an outlet for the back three. He really looked to have the steady influence of a senior player despite being around the same age as some of the EDS kids (Harrison is actually older). That Mahrez dropped down from his number 10 position and participated in the build up also helped.

Ad for the kids, I thought Harrison had a great first half. His crossing is really something else. That said, I don't think he's nearly talented enough to ever be a regular City player, but he does deserve a good loan and who knows, maybe we will make a good buck on him?

Bolton on the right is two years younger (only 19) and looked really good, both as a right wing back in the first half and slightly further up the pitch in the second. the lad got some speed. It will be interesting to see if he will be loaned out this season or stay with the EDS one more year. If it's the latter, I do believe he can get cameo appearances in the cups.

Eric Garcia looks like such a great prospect. I would not be surprised to see him being a regular starter for us in a few years time (he's only 17!). Humphreys was also good last night, but would probably benefit from a loan this season. He's turning 20 in August and would probably benefit from playing senior football.

Diaz started great, but faded. maybe because of the overly stern Liverpool defending? Foden ticked away nicely the whole game and looks very tidy, however, next to Zinchenko he did look inexperienced.

Nmecha did really well in the first half. He's only 19, but I still think a loan move would be good for him. He will get very limited game time with the first team if he stays seeing that both Sané and Sterling can play as back-up strikers. He does look really strong and pacey, but I just don't think he's suited to the way we play.

In the second half there were so many subs and position changes that it was difficult to make any assessments. That said, I thought Tosin looked very shaky and I though he was outshone by Garcia and Humpreys. Gomes didn't quite look up to speed and gave the ball away too easily on quite a few occasions. I do think he looks very promising as a DM, though. Will probably get som game time in the cups this season.

fancy adding up the squad numbers of the starting xi? must be close to 500?
i would do but i’m sunning myself on a lovely beach in west wales - the uk isn’t a bad place when the sun is shining!!!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:38 pm

amazing how even in a glorified friendly these bindipping c*nts manage to get all the bent calls in their favour. the powers that be will ensure we lose at anfield yet again this season. you can stake your house on it.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Outcast » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:amazing how even in a glorified friendly these bindipping c*nts manage to get all the bent calls in their favour. the powers that be will ensure we lose at anfield yet again this season. you can stake your house on it.

Would it matter if we won the double at end of the season; chimps league and premier league? As much as I would love to carve them open at Klanfield I'd much rather win silverware than get embroiled in their mini triumph. It would be nice to get one over them at their shithole house but, putting it into prespective, prefer to see the bigger picture.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:17 pm

What's up with Aymeric - too many baguettes on his hols?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm

johnny crossan wrote:What's up with Aymeric - too many baguettes on his hols?

He's recovering from injury, apparently, and was set to play, but Pep took him out of the squad list when he realised how poor the pitch was (following 3 Taylor Swift concerts, apparently)
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Some observations being at the match last night:

- Atmosphere was really quite good. Amazing to see and hear so many fans of both clubs so passionate, even with the weather being what might have reminded the players of England. Strong crowd even though forecast predicted and it rained throughout the match plus a bit windy - a known aspect of the area surrounding the stadium actually - although certainly warm enough.

- There clearly were some neutrals there, and more Liverpool supporters than ours, but City had a very good showing of fans of various ages and backgrounds that absolutely demonstrates our growth over the past decade. Yes, this is the NYC area (very diverse), but the fans were great and became excited every time when there was a good bit of play.

- I hate to bring this up, but to show how much the sport has grown, at least 15 minutes after the match I was just outside the stadium and a large contingent of Liverpool supporters could be heard as they marched together coming out doing their stupid song. It annoyed me to death, as well as their fans worshiping of Salah that was heard when he came on in the game, and later as a group of their fans started screaming "Salah!, Salah!" carrying a banner about him as they walked past me. In response, in good fun, I started to sing aloud: "¡Campeones! ¡Campeones!¡Campeones! Olé! Olé!" as well as do a brief mockery of their lack of trophies in the tune of their song :-)

- However, sat next to a Liverpool supporter (sounded like was actually from there) who was actually not too unreasonable. I brought up Sterling with him and he first said he hated him (surprise), but I defended Raz well, and he conceded a few points. Had some good banter about the game with him and said he felt the Mahrez signing was going to be really good for us.

As for the reactions to the game:

- Was an entertaining match that and really a good advert for the sport, as well as both clubs and the PL. The players were really trying to win and, again, is why you can make another argument as to why the ICC has some value. Liverpool had FAR more first teamers on the pitch, which gave our youngsters a chance against PL level talent who were clearly fighting for places, and possibly did so feeling the atmosphere and wanting to impress the fans.

- As the decisions went against us, especially in the first half, I was imagining how many on here would have been calling the ref "bent." I was livid as it was really poor, even for a friendly. At least 2 clear yellows that could have injured our players were ignored, especially on a terrible pitch, and a real pen shout for Bolton (?) who might have won it had he not tried to stay on his feet. To be fair, Liverpool had a very strong pen shout as well late in the 1st, and whilst I thought the pen at the end was soft when I saw it at the game, after I watched later I see how sloppy Tosin was.

- Generally, first half we had a weaker side and were the better team. Second half, like Doug said, our players did well until Salah came on.

- Pep utilised the 3-5-2 that seemed almost like a 3-4-1-1 to me, with the supporting striker quite deep/shadow-esque. Had Mahrez and Bernardo both shine in that role in either half, and found a way for Sane to get into that formation...as the lead striker, where he did well. Can see he and Sterling getting games there, and why we aren't in for a striker this summer.

- To start the 2nd half (when we scored our goal and could have 2 more on the counter) Sane was the striker, Bernardo behind as a no. 10, and Mahrez and Foden as no 8's with Bolton and Harrison as wing backs, Gomes as the no. 6 and the 3 centre halves. Now that Walker has been playing as a centre half for England can see Pep utilising him there this season, but could also put Mendy/Danilo and Walker as wing backs if more defence is needed.

- Mahrez impressed again, and I cannot wait to see him play with the best first team players. He put in some very good balls that show his quality and will be a huge asset to us when we need a goal.

- Zinchenko played as no. 6 in the first half and as a centre defender the 2nd half last night. He did some decent tracking back in moments, and seemed less vulnerable for some reason than as a wing back (the Dortmund game) Not sure what's going to happen with him.

- Diaz was better and made a few good runs with the ball, but I have to say Foden was not impressing that much. He was okay, but both games now he's been just okay and it's not going to win him more minutes. I worry that will be what happens and will cause outcry from City/Pep critics and some of our fans crying for him to play/ruining talent. Bottom line to me is he has to perform better at this level, even in preseason. Other players are, stars or youngsters of lesser experience, and this is Foden's chance to shine without most of our senior players around. He's still so young, so I'm not panicking. I am not so sure I like the idea of selling Brahim, but really tough to figure out what we are going to do.

- Was impressed with Eric Garcia (especially), Gomes (mostly), Harrison (at times) and Bolton (at times).

- Garcia had a few impressive tackles and touches of the ball. Is he willing to stay with the EDS this season and get MAYBE a cup game? We have a lot of centre halves, so will he even get games? He sure is short for that role. That's also not a position you make subs for usually. I feel he might be too good for EDS level, no? I guess training with the first team should be valuable for him at his age.

- Gomes showed some deft passing/vision (good vision/pass made to Bernardo who put Sane in for his goal), touches and tackles, but also made some mistakes that show his age. I can see him fitting in as well. Given our lack of cover for the position I think he might end up playing in some games, especially if we have injuries. What happened to Douglas Luiz though?

- Suspect Keita - who was curious to see - didn't play for Liverpool (pulled from lineup) also due to the pitch condition, which was really disgraceful, even if I get why.

Expect Liverpool fans to be overly excited about the result, as well as English media, and already reading "It's coming home" as comments from their fans after the game on message boards. Get ready to want to vomit as preseason predictions come in over the next few weeks.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby zuricity » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:35 pm

^^^^^^,

That might have been „Inshallah“ they were saying and not „it‘s Salah“.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum