Do we want our footballers to abandon technology?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Do we want our footballers to abandon technology?

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 am

Simple question as I seeing a real underlying annoyance at players having online accounts and posting etc lately. Mendy for doing it whole inured, Kev for trying to be Beckham, it’s a trend that seems to be growing. So do you prefer players not to post online?

My two cents is I think we’re becoming a right old miserable lot, but I’ll bow to majority on this one if I’m wrong. It’s not as public and targeted, but doesn’t our own nipping away at players when they pop up online have a slight similarity to the media putting everything sterling does under a negative microscope?

So what’s everyone think? Maybe I’m out of touch, but I just don’t see the big deal with players being humans and since I’m a plastic cunt whose moved away it gives me far more engagement than ever before.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Do we want our footballers to abandon technology?

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am

I think this is a complicated issue. I know in the early days of social media a lot of players kept their Facebook accounts extremely private, with some using fake names and similar. Then, as Facebook boomed (I can't really speak for other social media platforms), 'pages' started becoming available for people who wanted to follow/'befriend' players, which players themselves often had no control over, and likewise fake accounts started popping up. With these things (and social media as a whole), it's easy for falsehoods to be disseminated - precisely how the rumour about Sterling having however many kids came from, and how it spread (and was believed) so easily.

What we're seeing now is a kind of rectification of that. I and others suggested (and a later interview pretty much confirmed) that Mendy isn't solely responsible for his social media presence, and that it's carefully managed. Whether you like his (and other players') social media presence or not, it's pretty much a fact that a large part of it is a form of 'damage limitation' - if things weren't posted by a player themselves, then there's always a risk that a fake account would pop up, publish false information, and the 'snowball effect' of social media would spread it far and wide. Whatever was said to rectify it would have nowhere near the same reach.

I don't really pay attention to players' own posts, unless they're repeated on here. However, I'm glad they exist for the simple reason that people know there's a reliable 'from-the-horse's-mouth' outlet where they can easily double-check whether what a player has purportedly said/written/tweeted/shared is true or not.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am

I'm not too arsed either way. What does get on my tits though, is fans who use social media themselves, having a go at players using social media.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

It's probably a generational thing. Everyone under 25 probably thinks it's essential.

It would be interesting to hear the views of anyone in that age bracket (rather than twice that plus like me!).
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:It's probably a generational thing. Everyone under 25 probably thinks it's essential.

It would be interesting to hear the views of anyone in that age bracket (rather than twice that plus like me!).

Do we have anyone in that age bracket on here?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:23 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:It's probably a generational thing. Everyone under 25 probably thinks it's essential.

not anymore

lee was about 15 when he joined. or at least he posted like he was.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:28 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:I think this is a complicated issue. I know in the early days of social media a lot of players kept their Facebook accounts extremely private, with some using fake names and similar. Then, as Facebook boomed (I can't really speak for other social media platforms), 'pages' started becoming available for people who wanted to follow/'befriend' players, which players themselves often had no control over, and likewise fake accounts started popping up. With these things (and social media as a whole), it's easy for falsehoods to be disseminated - precisely how the rumour about Sterling having however many kids came from, and how it spread (and was believed) so easily.

What we're seeing now is a kind of rectification of that. I and others suggested (and a later interview pretty much confirmed) that Mendy isn't solely responsible for his social media presence, and that it's carefully managed. Whether you like his (and other players') social media presence or not, it's pretty much a fact that a large part of it is a form of 'damage limitation' - if things weren't posted by a player themselves, then there's always a risk that a fake account would pop up, publish false information, and the 'snowball effect' of social media would spread it far and wide. Whatever was said to rectify it would have nowhere near the same reach.

I don't really pay attention to players' own posts, unless they're repeated on here. However, I'm glad they exist for the simple reason that people know there's a reliable 'from-the-horse's-mouth' outlet where they can easily double-check whether what a player has purportedly said/written/tweeted/shared is true or not.

Mendy is 100% responsible for his tweets...and hes been told to give it a rest by PeP himself and to focus on what hes being paid to do.
Noone at the club ina senior position pushes him to be on social media...the reverse Id say, given PePS comments.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm

If a player is doing the business on the field on a regular basis I couldn't care less what he does on social media
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm

nottsblue wrote:If a player is doing the business on the field on a regular basis I couldn't care less what he does on social media

Correct.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Depends what there doing. I think agueto has the balance, just.

I hate over social media anyway (I'm 29)

The younger / newer players annoy me sometimes because they are forgetting to be bumble and slot of it is showing off.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 pm

If any of our players become as bad as Lingard they're dead to me.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

not anymore

lee was about 15 when he joined. or at least he posted like he was.

Were you even around then? If so I don’t recall you.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:52 am

nottsblue wrote:If a player is doing the business on the field on a regular basis I couldn't care less what he does on social media

Probably fair but we don’t seem to hold that rule as a whole.

Actually I’d love to hear Carl bring his other end of the spectrum into the debate too if he reads this.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby dazby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:48 am

As long as it's not photos of coffee or average meals, or chick chinging a drink, I'm ok with it.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 pm

I enjoyed Mendy’s insta over the last year. If he’s performing then I just don’t care.

Now if he’s drunk driving, assaulting women, etc. then we don’t care if he’s the love child of Pele and Messi, I don’t want him playing football at all, let alone for City. Not that I’m thinking of any Portuguese superstar in particular, but I would seriously give up City and football if they signed him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum