finishing 2019/20 (summer edition)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby mr_nool » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mase wrote:Those stats would be better if it was shots on target. As Mahrez is blazing shots over constantly that's probably why it's not as good as last season.

I don’t think so Mase. It still goes on chances converted.
I’d imagine it is individual circumstances like FIBD has suggested.
It’s what I believe anyway. That you will never get an exact like for like situation.

The team we put out has a lot to do with it.

I maintain the only true barometer is the league table at the end of the season.


Shooting more from distance may very well be a tactic employed by us, to draw out the defenders. personally I don't really see it as a missed chance, but rather as loss of possession. I.E. I agree with you. If you score +100 goals in one season, you've been pretty damn effective.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
User avatar
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Agueroooo's 93:20 League Winner
 
Posts: 23804
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Utrecht

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am

mr_nool wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mase wrote:Those stats would be better if it was shots on target. As Mahrez is blazing shots over constantly that's probably why it's not as good as last season.

I don’t think so Mase. It still goes on chances converted.
I’d imagine it is individual circumstances like FIBD has suggested.
It’s what I believe anyway. That you will never get an exact like for like situation.

The team we put out has a lot to do with it.

I maintain the only true barometer is the league table at the end of the season.


Shooting more from distance may very well be a tactic employed by us, to draw out the defenders. personally I don't really see it as a missed chance, but rather as loss of possession. I.E. I agree with you. If you score +100 goals in one season, you've been pretty damn effective.


Mahrez's shots from distance could be seen as a positive. Sure, it would be better if more were on target, but we did not do enough of that last season, Kev aside, and now teams know we can do it that is another thing for them to worry about when we are in their half, not just stopping us passing it into goal.
User avatar
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4231
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Wild country near Glossop
Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:33 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mase wrote:Those stats would be better if it was shots on target. As Mahrez is blazing shots over constantly that's probably why it's not as good as last season.

I don’t think so Mase. It still goes on chances converted.
I’d imagine it is individual circumstances like FIBD has suggested.
It’s what I believe anyway. That you will never get an exact like for like situation.

The team we put out has a lot to do with it.

I maintain the only true barometer is the league table at the end of the season.


Shooting more from distance may very well be a tactic employed by us, to draw out the defenders. personally I don't really see it as a missed chance, but rather as loss of possession. I.E. I agree with you. If you score +100 goals in one season, you've been pretty damn effective.


Mahrez's shots from distance could be seen as a positive. Sure, it would be better if more were on target, but we did not do enough of that last season, Kev aside, and now teams know we can do it that is another thing for them to worry about when we are in their half, not just stopping us passing it into goal.


Aye, he's still doing it a little too much imo, especially when he has team mates better placed, it's frustrating but he's settling in quite nicely now and I'm sure the more he does the more we'll see them shots turn in to passes.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8782
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Yep finishing killing us here. Fucking tits


Pep said after the game '''We created a lot and missed a lot of clear, clear chances. You have to be more clinical. You don't get this many at the top level''

Whose a TiT again ?

Is it any different to last year Carl?


I dont think it is mate- say we get a juventus leading up to the final , we wont get numerous chances to score (Or maybe this City team will !!!??) so to get one chance like Mahrez or Jesus got today...you just cannot miss them.


pointless trying to educate some on here carl. they are beyond help...
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15180
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 am

Im sorry to say , but on current form , Jesus is nowhere near ready to take over from Aguero.He had a fuckign shocking game yesterday.

His attitude is excellent and I hope he finds form but right now he is shockingly bad in front of goal.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 25219
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Supporter of: Man City

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Im sorry to say , but on current form , Jesus is nowhere near ready to take over from Aguero.He had a fuckign shocking game yesterday.

His attitude is excellent and I hope he finds form but right now he is shockingly bad in front of goal.


he’s not hiding though which is a good thing
really needs to find his shooting boots though
aguero has to start on monday vs spuds
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15180
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Im sorry to say , but on current form , Jesus is nowhere near ready to take over from Aguero.He had a fuckign shocking game yesterday.

His attitude is excellent and I hope he finds form but right now he is shockingly bad in front of goal.


he’s not hiding though which is a good thing
really needs to find his shooting boots though
aguero has to start on monday vs spuds


His attitude is spot on , thats why I like him, but yes, Aguero will 100% start against the spuds.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 25219
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Supporter of: Man City

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Yep finishing killing us here. Fucking tits


Pep said after the game '''We created a lot and missed a lot of clear, clear chances. You have to be more clinical. You don't get this many at the top level''

Whose a TiT again ?

Is it any different to last year Carl?


I dont think it is mate- say we get a juventus leading up to the final , we wont get numerous chances to score (Or maybe this City team will !!!??) so to get one chance like Mahrez or Jesus got today...you just cannot miss them.


pointless trying to educate some on here carl. they are beyond help...


I agree.
Image
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel
 
Posts: 9845
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby zuricity » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 pm

if you ask Jesus Navas was it a shot or a cross when he scored early on , one time , i am sure he will say it was a shot . To me it seemed to be a flanker.

Mahrez shoots when he should pass , perhaps he thinks he is passing the ball. It was pure greed last night that he didn't pass to KdB in the first half on the break .

If it carries on that way , i am sure Pep will bollock him.
Last edited by zuricity on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12389
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Zuerich,ch

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:47 pm

As an aside, how many goals do you all think we will score this season both in the PL and in total.

I think we will get 100 in the PL and 150 in total
nottsblue
Joe Mercer's OBE
 
Posts: 19142
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby dazby » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 pm

Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
User avatar
dazby
Allison's Big Fat Cigar
 
Posts: 18918
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 am
Location: Brisbane Australia
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: BendyMendy

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 pm

dazby wrote:Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.


Man City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a great victory in special conditions, against one of the most physical teams in Europe. We had many chances. We have to score and we didn't. That is why hopefully we will improve in the future.

i'm glad that we have pep as our manager and not you or pbl who clearly are happy to settle for 'average' rather than 'excellence'.
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15180
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.


Man City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a great victory in special conditions, against one of the most physical teams in Europe. We had many chances. We have to score and we didn't. That is why hopefully we will improve in the future.

i'm glad that we have pep as our manager and not you or pbl who clearly are happy to settle for 'average' rather than 'excellence'.


Fuck you’re a miserable twat
Tracking back is overrated.
Image
Pretty Boy Lee
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12950
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am
Location: Brisbane baby!
Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.


Man City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a great victory in special conditions, against one of the most physical teams in Europe. We had many chances. We have to score and we didn't. That is why hopefully we will improve in the future.

i'm glad that we have pep as our manager and not you or pbl who clearly are happy to settle for 'average' rather than 'excellence'.



Oh and since you’re so good at finding quotes to back up your loooooooooong winded moaning quickly go fetch me one that says I’m happy to settle for average. When you don’t find one come back and admit you’re a miserable cunt who adds nothing to the board.
Tracking back is overrated.
Image
Pretty Boy Lee
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12950
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am
Location: Brisbane baby!
Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:14 pm

As PeP has stated , nearly as many times as Nigel’s tackle has mentioned it ,our finishing is poor when you consider the chances we get ( Focus on the “”when you consider the chances we get “” comment and not the poor f part ), some unbelievably clear chances are missed.

If numpty had scored that for spurs then our shocking misses would be magnified 10x over and not swept
Under the carpet .

I repeat - PEP has said MANY times we miss too many chances and our forwards have to score them .

So when you lot slag off the “whiners “ your slagging off our PeP for also “whining “ about it .

I’l
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 25219
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Supporter of: Man City

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.


Man City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a great victory in special conditions, against one of the most physical teams in Europe. We had many chances. We have to score and we didn't. That is why hopefully we will improve in the future.

i'm glad that we have pep as our manager and not you or pbl who clearly are happy to settle for 'average' rather than 'excellence'.



Oh and since you’re so good at finding quotes to back up your loooooooooong winded moaning quickly go fetch me one that says I’m happy to settle for average. When you don’t find one come back and admit you’re a miserable cunt who adds nothing to the board.


To be fair - You did call PeP a TiT for whinging about missed chances.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 25219
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Supporter of: Man City

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:53 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.


Man City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a great victory in special conditions, against one of the most physical teams in Europe. We had many chances. We have to score and we didn't. That is why hopefully we will improve in the future.

i'm glad that we have pep as our manager and not you or pbl who clearly are happy to settle for 'average' rather than 'excellence'.



Oh and since you’re so good at finding quotes to back up your loooooooooong winded moaning quickly go fetch me one that says I’m happy to settle for average. When you don’t find one come back and admit you’re a miserable cunt who adds nothing to the board.


To be fair - You did call PeP a TiT for whinging about missed chances.


You slate him for starting nearly every player we’ve had tho, it’s fun. My argument has been all along that our missing of chances hasn’t consistently hurt us as we create so many. Also we don’t allow many because we’re always up the other end attacking. My argument has never been that we don’t miss. It’s that we still create and score more than the rest while letting less in.

As Jay-Z once said “men lie, women lie, numbers don’t”
Tracking back is overrated.
Image
Pretty Boy Lee
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12950
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am
Location: Brisbane baby!
Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:Tottenham have a finishing problem Nigel. As do every other team we've played this season.

Oh, except Lyon, which is the exception that makes you right.


Man City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a great victory in special conditions, against one of the most physical teams in Europe. We had many chances. We have to score and we didn't. That is why hopefully we will improve in the future.

i'm glad that we have pep as our manager and not you or pbl who clearly are happy to settle for 'average' rather than 'excellence'.



Oh and since you’re so good at finding quotes to back up your loooooooooong winded moaning quickly go fetch me one that says I’m happy to settle for average. When you don’t find one come back and admit you’re a miserable cunt who adds nothing to the board.


To be fair - You did call PeP a TiT for whinging about missed chances.


You slate him for starting nearly every player we’ve had tho, it’s fun. My argument has been all along that our missing of chances hasn’t consistently hurt us as we create so many. Also we don’t allow many because we’re always up the other end attacking. My argument has never been that we don’t miss. It’s that we still create and score more than the rest while letting less in.

As Jay-Z once said “men lie, women lie, numbers don’t”


Which, if anyone could be arsed to go back to the long running feud between OD (remember him) and Nidge was the point Nidge would repeatedly make.
That it was going to cost us when we play better teams.
Well it hasn’t so far. And it’s not because we’ scoring as much as we should.
It’s because we don’t make ad many fnck ups at our end. We’ve shored up at the back.
We have been missing a lot of chances but we did last year also. If it’s worse, then only marginally but others are struggling a lot more than us.

Overall I see us as a stronger unit and the goals will come when Kev gets up to speed.

See we can all be right.
Good to get along isn’t it.
Image
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel
 
Posts: 9845
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby City64 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:49 pm

Pretty sure we have the best defensive record in Europe right now ? Pretty fucking solid isn't it ? Yeah we lack a couple of natural finishers but nothing can be perfect can it ? And yeah we miss some glaring chances but imagine if we didn't perennial board miserable cunt and spurs fan nutty fucking nige would have fuck all to moan and bitch about the sad cunt !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
User avatar
City64
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8204
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 pm
Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby PrezIke » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:17 pm

I feel like Mahrez is improving us in this area as he settles in.

He's taking more shots than he did at Leicester, but he appears to be more careful as games go on. He had some nice fakes yesterday in one situation.

Aguero is amazing, but he also muffed one or two yesterday, and because he doesn't have the pace of our other front players, isn't always going to be in the best positions when we are on the break.

If Jesus could get himself together, because of what else he offers, he could bag loads of goals for us.
Image
Razza | Boo Bwoy Extrodanaire
User avatar
PrezIke
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6616
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: 'N Why See
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 22 guests