VAR in the Premier League

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: VAR in the Premier League

Postby zuricity » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:However, this does not mean that the VAR controller would review it.

Thought the whole point of VAR was that EVERY game-changing decision was checked? So every goal, penalty shout/decision, sending off etc would be looked at. Or have I read it wrong?

you’ve got it spot on. zuricity isn’t one of the brightest posters on here. and that’s saying something!!

You don't get it do you ? Do results get published about the results of game changing events ? Of course they don't . We get stats about possession, shots on or off target, and so on and on.No VAR stats, what was reviewed and the reasons behind the decision.

Just like referees are not subject to post game interviews. This is big business , and incompetence in referees and possibly even bias needs to be weeded out.

var would be used for EVERY goal

why would it be necessary to review kuns first goal last week , from a dead ball assist by Ederson ?

I don't think any ref on the field would ever call for a review of such a goal and even independently the VAR person watching on the tv's wouldn't need to review it. If none of us watching on tv had the various angle replays available , it would have looked like a headed goal yesterday.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Original Dub » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:55 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Original Dub wrote:VAR is an absolute necessity but how it's managed is the only problem.

A lot of it was farcical last season and I have little doubt that elements of that "demonstration" were put in place to turn people off it. Or at least slow it's proper introduction down.

For those of you "less sceptic" , tell me why it took 30 odd years to introduce goal line technology ?

30 odd years?

I'm not sure exactly how long the technology has been out there, but I'd imagine it can't have been an awful lot later than hawk eye and the likes?

But even if it's 20 years or 10 years, what's the reason?
Original Dub

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 am

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Original Dub wrote:VAR is an absolute necessity but how it's managed is the only problem.

A lot of it was farcical last season and I have little doubt that elements of that "demonstration" were put in place to turn people off it. Or at least slow it's proper introduction down.

For those of you "less sceptic" , tell me why it took 30 odd years to introduce goal line technology ?

30 odd years?

I'm not sure exactly how long the technology has been out there, but I'd imagine it can't have been an awful lot later than hawk eye and the likes?

because the fa is run by a bunch of 70 year old nonces
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 am

The only thing VAR guarantees is the end of off-side goals. Whether it's worth ruining the live game of football and turning it into a television show for that I'm not sure.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:40 pm

It has to come in and the sooner the better. I've mentioned my issues with it but it's got to be better than what we see at the moment.

What's gonna piss me off this season, like last, is that it's going to be running in the background and although you'd think they will be run separately and analyse the discrepancies afterwards, you just know that the VAR official will have direct contact to on-field officials and none of us will even know what's going on until we see incidents such as when AltyBoy Taylor writes outcast yellow for Delph but then gives him a red.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:The only thing VAR guarantees is the end of off-side goals. Whether it's worth ruining the live game of football and turning it into a television show for that I'm not sure.

Bent refs are ruining the live game.
The thing is, how many times did a decision went our way vs against us? For me it comes to this. Fuck the live game, City needs VAR.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:12 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:The only thing VAR guarantees is the end of off-side goals. Whether it's worth ruining the live game of football and turning it into a television show for that I'm not sure.

The thing is, how many times did a decision went our way vs against us? For me it comes to this. Fuck the live game, City needs VAR.

Really? Those of us who attend games might beg to differ.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Except the final, at the WC the VAR did wonders without ruining the live game and some might argue we saw the best WC since the one in 98.
I would fuck off the live game and accept fragmantation if that means that we will have correct, not in our favour, just correct decision in our games.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:21 am

zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:var would be used for EVERY goal

why would it be necessary to review kuns first goal last week , from a dead ball assist by Ederson ?

Perhaps tackle thinks there was a suspicion of offside.

There are delaying VAR while they work out ways to try and fiddle it/retain control.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby zuricity » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:45 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:var would be used for EVERY goal

Perhaps tackle thinks there was a suspicion of offside.

There are delaying VAR while they work out ways to try and fiddle it/retain control.

Yeah ! Silly me, he was in their half , after all.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 am

PeterParker wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Except the final, at the WC the VAR did wonders without ruining the live game and some might argue we saw the best WC since the one in 98.
I would fuck off the live game and accept fragmantation if that means that we will have correct, not in our favour, just correct decision in our games.

Respectfully disagree. Watching play go on and then out the blue it all stops half a minute later while the red goes to watch a monitor ruined games for me.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby gmercer1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:37 am

Enough said when we vote for it yet the rags and Chelsea don’t!
Not sure how the dippers voted, although I reckon I could guess
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:16 am

zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:However, this does not mean that the VAR controller would review it.

Thought the whole point of VAR was that EVERY game-changing decision was checked? So every goal, penalty shout/decision, sending off etc would be looked at. Or have I read it wrong?

you’ve got it spot on. zuricity isn’t one of the brightest posters on here. and that’s saying something!!

You don't get it do you ? Do results get published about the results of game changing events ? Of course they don't . We get stats about possession, shots on or off target, and so on and on.No VAR stats, what was reviewed and the reasons behind the decision.

Just like referees are not subject to post game interviews. This is big business , and incompetence in referees and possibly even bias needs to be weeded out.

var would be used for EVERY goal

I don't think any ref on the field would ever call for a review of such a goal and even independently the VAR person watching on the tv's wouldn't need to review it. If none of us watching on tv had the various angle replays available , it would have looked like a headed goal yesterday.

It wouldnt be necessary for every goal, but every goal would still be reviewed, like in the world cup it was running in the background. Most goals theyd watch once and say nothing to see but when a player blatantly punches the ball in the net it would be disallowed.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:43 am

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

30 odd years?

Hawk-Eye invented in 2001, first tested in tennis in 2005, used in tennis from 2006. Football's rules were changed to allow it in 2012, and it has been used in the Premier League from 2013-14. 12 years from invention to being used in arguably the most financially ludicrous competition in the world (and 6 years from it being used in tennis to being allowed to be used in competitive football) doesn't seem too long, especially with the system hardly having been error-free when it was first deployed.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zuricity » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
It wouldn't be necessary for every goal, but every goal would still be reviewed, like in the world cup it was running in the background. Most goals they'd watch once and say nothing to see but when a player blatantly punches the ball in the net it would be disallowed.

Yeah but just supposing they all decided it wasn't a deliberate handball (blatant punch) and since it's City, Let's see 'em make a game of it :-) ?

I don't think the Wolves player meant to handle the ball, he genuinely went with his head and missed. It just happened to hit his hand and go in.

Handball of course, but only visible on replays.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Just as an aside. Who actually controls the VAR systems?

PiGMOL?
The FA?
The PL?
The TV company who are showing the match?
An “independent” body?

Seems to me that the controller of the system has a lot of power and sway in how individual instances are deemed fit for referral or not as the case may be. An individual or organisation with a grudge or money riding on the outcome of an event could thus possibly manipulate VAR for their own ends then
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum