is jesus good enough...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: is jesus good enough...

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:28 am

Elvistheblue wrote:
stevefromdonny wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:Nowhere near good enough at the moment. Aguero can change games on his own, scoring goals from all over the place...Jesus rarely scores anything other than from inside the six yard box.....not that I can remember anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a great player, but if you want to replace Aguero, Jesus isn't the answer for me.

There are some on social media that go into meltdown when Jesus doesn't play instead of Aguero...I don't get that.

so where did he shoot from when scoring the winner against southampton

I think you get the point I'm making....and I did say rarely.

did we not establish that tap ins don't count?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:
stevefromdonny wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:Nowhere near good enough at the moment. Aguero can change games on his own, scoring goals from all over the place...Jesus rarely scores anything other than from inside the six yard box.....not that I can remember anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a great player, but if you want to replace Aguero, Jesus isn't the answer for me.

There are some on social media that go into meltdown when Jesus doesn't play instead of Aguero...I don't get that.

We did indeed.

I think that means Jesus has scored 2 goals (was the one against Huddersfield outside the box? Can't remember).

NOT GOOD ENOUGH !
Original Dub

Postby Elvistheblue » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 am

Original Dub wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:
stevefromdonny wrote:

We did indeed.

I think that means Jesus has scored 2 goals (was the one against Huddersfield outside the box? Can't remember).

NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

The thread asks if Jesus is good enough to replace Aguero. I've given my opinion on why he isn't good enough. Anyone that thinks he is good enough to replace Aguero, at this time, is deluded.
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 am

@Elvis

I'm not getting at you, was only taking the piss put of the flute that said tap ins don't count.

For what it's worth, my answer is also no, not yet.
Original Dub

Postby Elvistheblue » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:20 am

Original Dub wrote:@Elvis

I'm not getting at you, was only taking the piss put of the flute that said tap ins don't count.

I've no doubt that taps are great, and count as much as any 45 yard screamer. Didn't think you were getting at me. :shock:

Jesus is no Aguero though. In fact, there isn't anyone out there that I would rather have, than Aguero.
Elvistheblue

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 am

Elvistheblue wrote:

I've no doubt that taps are great, and count as much as any 45 yard screamer. Didn't think you were getting at me. :shock:

Jesus is no Aguero though. In fact, there isn't anyone out there that I would rather have, than Aguero.

I wasn't getting at you either Elvis.
I think the original premise is all wrong. We were crying out for another striker as it is. Why would anyone think Jesus is here to replace Kun.
Someone else will be bought to replace Kun and Jesus will still be here. He is a different kind of player and can't do what Kun can do but few can.

Jesus scores tap ins because he makes the runs that end moves that warrent a tap in at the end. Pep likes to play the certainty of scoring and will always take a 70-30% pass to someone else, to a 30-70% chance of scoring yourself.
I think Kun is looking very sharp this season but there were times last season when I was screaming at the TV for him to make the run to the front post.

Nigel thinks we have problems with finishing. I think it is a combination of sloppy under-weighted passing or poor decision making, from not just the strikers but all involved. Yet we are creating more chances per game than anyone else and the team's conversion rate will get better if we improve all aspects of our play.

I really don't think you can isolate one think like scoring rate in a holistic approach to football.
You defend as a team, you attack and score hopefully as a team. Jesus is and will be a huge part of that.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Elvistheblue » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 am

I agree with what you are saying. Like you say, Jesus isn't there to replace Kun, he's an addition, and completely different type of player. I saw a lot of dissatisfaction with Kun from 'supposed' City fans last season. He probably didn't have his best season for us, but he got in TOTY. People would come out with shit like....why start Kun, get Jesus on....it's just bollox.

I'll be honest with you, I have watched Jesus in some games and thought to myself.....What does he do? And then he pops up with a 'tap-in'! ha ha.
Elvistheblue

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Still waiting for him to score a signature goal. Southampton was close, but one where he beats a few then smacks it home.

Then watch his bollocks grow.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Deffo needs to improve but he’s still young, calm down kids. A proper run in the team and goals in couple of games in a row should do a world of good for him
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Yes, he has the potential. And that price, if he leaves us anytime soon he'll bring the club a pretty penny.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby City64 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 pm

He plays a very different role than most PL strikers , he does a job that suits Peps style and is a totally different type of striker to Aguero . Needs to reach the next level in the next couple of years but has proved himself in the PL and that is some achievement for such a young player . It has become clear already this season that teams are defending differently against us , much more compact which makes it difficult for our wide players to get into the space they need . Pep has tried a few different things to overcome this and jesus will have to again adapt his game by the looks of things . Can only see a handful of PL sides actually taking us on this season , Arsenal tried , Spurs will try so will Chelsea . Rags will park the bus and the dippers press and counter .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zuricity » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:

There was one tap in last season ( i can't remember who scored it but), it was an absolutely brilliant goal , movement on the counter attack from the goalie to the tap in , just stunning.

So ... (nt) tap ins are ok .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 pm

zuricity wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:

There was one tap in last season ( i can't remember who scored it but), it was an absolutely brilliant goal , movement on the counter attack from the goalie to the tap in , just stunning.

So ... (nt) tap ins are ok .

I think back to the WBA goal highlighted on the doco where we held the ball from kickoff for two mins and scored before they touched the ball. Sadly the goal was a rebound from the first miss so Nige would be raging we weren’t more clinical.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum