***city v lyon official cl match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v lyon official cl match thread***

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 am

Duckman wrote:bunch of half ass performances, but this Gundo fella keeps hiding from the ball.

He is a shadow of the player he was at Dortmund.
Huge concern is that we are already over relying on Fern. I know we tried to bring in help in the summer but we just can't go through the whole season expecting him to do it all.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:30 am

Duckman wrote:bunch of half ass performances, but this Gundo fella keeps hiding from the ball.

That's simply not true, he was poor but it wasn't for lack of trying.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:51 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Come on mate he's more of a coward than Clough was! He'll hide behind one of their players when we have the ball so no one can pick him out.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 am

KDB is a huge hole we are not filling as we look so unbalanced without him and lack legs in MF as for Gundo and Delph if we are being fair, both are back up on last night, Delph rebooted his Derby nightmares for me. Dippers looming we need solutions double quick..
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 am

Mase wrote:

Come on mate he's more of a coward than Clough was! He'll hide behind one of their players when we have the ball so no one can pick him out.

Sorry Mase, it's not true, he lacks conviction in attack and he's slightly off the pace at times but he constantly makes himself available for the ball and after a look at the stats it confirmed what I thought I witnessed last night, he put in as many successful tackles as the rest of the starting XI combined. How the fuck that is cowardice I have no idea.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:04 am

Mase wrote:

Sorry Mase, it's not true, he lacks conviction in attack and he's slightly off the pace at times but he constantly makes himself available for the ball and after a look at the stats it confirmed what I thought I witnessed last night, he put in as many successful tackles as the rest of the starting XI combined. How the fuck that is cowardice I have no idea.

He has no recovery pace, I watched him last night, his main and sadly only strength is forward, if we turn over the ball he relies on Ferna like Yaya did. He is a top player but had two major knee injuries and it shows,almost lacking trust in himself at times, Fekir was the best player on the pitch given a free ride whilst on the pitch.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Outcast » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am

I can see us spending big on a midfielder, either this upcoming window or in the summer. I can see why pep desperately wanted Jorghino
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am

Agree with that Hazy, he lacks recovery pace but I don't believe his strength is forward although he is very good at timing late runs into the box. His strength imo is his passing game. I would primarily use him to rotate with Fernandinho who can't be expected to play three games a week at his age ( he was shockingly bad last night btw).
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:13 am

Outcast wrote:I can see us spending big on a midfielder, either this upcoming window or in the summer. I can see why pep desperately wanted Jorghino

100%
10 times the player wolf boy is
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby BookJunior » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:57 am

I think it's dodgy referees, incompetent chairmen, poor players and teams.

One thing is certain; supporting City is a roller coaster and has been for decades.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Outcast wrote:I can see us spending big on a midfielder, either this upcoming window or in the summer. I can see why pep desperately wanted Jorghino

100%
10 times the player wolf boy is

He would be just as ineffective as 'wolf boy' trying to play that DeBruyne role, doesn't possess the skill set for it.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:19 pm

i cant f*cking stand seeing gundo in the team, but i agree that jorginho was not the answer. neither has any pace. neither is a fern or a KDB.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:i cant f*cking stand seeing gundo in the team, but i agree that jorginho was not the answer. neither has any pace. neither is a fern or a KDB.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/09/blogs/ ... -gundogan/
"City Haters fed by forum plankton"
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Mase wrote:

What's his tackling got to do with hiding behind a player when we have the ball?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Mase wrote:
Mase wrote:

What's his tackling got to do with hiding behind a player when we have the ball?

If he was tackling that means he was trying to win the ball, the complete opposite from hiding from it.

I addressed the hiding bit earlier in my post by saying he constantly makes himself available for the ball, you need only look at the amount of touches and passes he has per game to show you that.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:57 pm

What gets me about Gundo and a few others is the fear of trying something at the top end of the pitch. All too often we pass backwards instead of beating a man to create an opening. It becomes predictable. Sane and sterling aside (Sergio when he's on) none of our team try this near the box.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 pm

FIBD - I've literally seen him with my own two eyes hiding behind a player. You can look at how many touches he has but it becomes irrelevant when as a team we have 1.2 million touches a match.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm

london blue 2 wrote:What gets me about Gundo and a few others is the fear of trying something at the top end of the pitch. All too often we pass backwards instead of beating a man to create an opening. It becomes predictable. Sane and sterling aside (Sergio when he's on) none of our team try this near the box.

Yep, this is the main problem with him in that position imo, that's what I alluded to earlier when I said he lacks conviction.

@Mase, we'll have to agree to disagree mate.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Mase wrote:
Mase wrote:

My young lad has a bee in his bonnet about Gundogan and watched him especially last night and repeatedly came to the same conclusion as Mase and others on here.
The truth is he unbalances the midfield because he does hide from the pass rather than actively present himself for it like the two Silva.
Fern gets left with far too much to do on his own.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby mr_nool » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:33 pm

At least the defeat brought this site back to life. Every cloud has its silver lining.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum